The Privy Garden was created in 1702 at the request o f William III. The project, ascribed to Christopher Wren, resembled a colourful patterned carpet. Small plants did not comprise flower beds, but a sui generis botanical garden, in accordance with the premises proposed by Linnaeus (Sweden). In the course o f the following centuries the Garden became neglected. A decision to embark upon partial reconstruction was made in 1992. All plants were removed, the terrain was stripped totally, and original foundations of statues, fountains, terraces and steps were discovered. The levelling and profiling o f the terrain was followed by the recreation o f the original shape o f the Garden. The conserved statues were placed on original spots, and the central and wooden -south ern-step s as well as the Bower o f Queen Mary II were rebuilt. All plants were reintroduced according to the project from 1702. The Garden was opened to the public in 1995.