Polish and Ukrainian foresight into the directions for the innovation of power plants
Languages of publication
The main aim of this article is to present an approach to planning the implementation of innovative technologies and introducing strategical modernization into power plants using the results of two foresight studies conducted by the authors. The results of these foresights were obtained from the two projects: a corporate foresight conducted in Ukraine and a regional foresight linked to the energy sector in Lower Silesia (a region in Poland). Using the method of foresight allows us to look at strategical modernization more holistically and take the different points of view of a wide range of stakeholders into consideration. Such an approach could be used to establish a set of measures aimed at the continuous improvement of technical, technological, socioeconomic and environmental processes in power plants (e.g., the operation of Ukrainian hydroelectric power plants). Although various approaches to foresight (e.g., corporate foresight and regional foresight) have been applied in different countries, the corresponding processes of planning innovation and modernization are similar.
- Faculty of Management and Marketing, Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute, Kyiv, Ukraine
- Faculty of Computer Science and Management, Wrocław University of Science and Technology, Wybrzeże Wyspiańskiego 27, 50-370 Wrocław, Poland
- Agora Energiewende, Understanding Energiewende. The most commonly asked questions regarding transformation of the energy sector in Germany, January 2016.
- ANSOFF H.I., DECLERCK R.P., HAYES R.L., From strategic planning to strategic management, Wiley, London 1976.
- BECKER P., Corporate foresight in Europe. A first overview working paper, European Commission, Brussels 2002, 31.
- BORODAKO K., Foresight in strategic management, C.H. Beck Publishing, Warsaw 2009 (in Polish).
- Scenarios of the technological development of the petrol and energy sector in ensuring energy security in Poland. Part 2. Scenarios developed on the basis of a foresight study of the energy sector in Poland for the period 2005–2030, K. Czaplicka-Kolarz (Ed.), GIG, Katowice 2007 (in Polish).
- Directive 2009/28/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources and amending and subsequently repealing Directives 2001.77/EC and 2003/30/EC, L140, 6.06.2009.
- Technology and Social Visions for Europe’s Energy Future: a Europe-wide Delphi Study. Final Report, EurEnDel, 2004.
- European Council 23/24. Conclusions, EUCO 169/14, Brussels, 24 October 2014.
- FEDULOVA L., A new approach to the formulation of regional development policies: the foresight method, 2007 [Online], available at: www. nbuv.gov.ua/portal/Soc_Gum/zbirnuk_RE_4_139.pdf
- Foresight for Our Future Society, Cooperative project between NISTEP (Japan) and Tekes (Finland), M. Syrjänen, Y. Ito, E. Ahola (Eds.), Tekes Review 242/2009, NISTEP Policy Study No. 14.
- GAPONENKO N., Foresight. Theory. Method. Experience, JUNITI-DANA Publishing, Moscow 2008 (in Russian).
- HAMEL G., PRALAHAD C.K., Competing for the future, Business Press, Warsaw 1999 (in Polish).
- HERLENDER K., ROPUSZYŃSKA-SURMA E., SZALBIERZ Z., WĘGLARZ M., WYŁOMAŃSKA A., Surveys carried out among experts, their analysis and verification, Report of the Institute of Organisation and Management, Wrocław University of Science and Technology Ser. PRE, No. 56, Wrocław 2010 (in Polish).
- HORTON A., A simple guide to successful foresight, Foresight, 1999, 1, 5–9.
- JANTSCH E., Forecasting and systems approach. A frame of reference, Manage. Sci., (pre-1986) 19 (12), August 1973, available in database ProQuest Central, https://search.proquest.com/docview /205836899?accountid=46407 (access: 6.09.2017).
- KASPRZAK W.A., PELC K.I., Innovations. Technical and developmental strategies, Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Wrocławskiej, Wrocław 2012 (in Polish).
- Regional and technological foresight. The initial experience of Polish Regions, A. Klasik, T. Markowski (Eds.), Polish Academy of Sciences, Committee on Spatial Planning, Studia, Warsaw 2010, Vol. 127 (in Polish).
- KUBIŃSKI P., Creating and implementing strategies in firms and local government), Dolnośląskie Centrum Studiów Regionalnych, Wrocław 2007 (in Polish).
- LAWRENCE J.A., STECK E.N., USDA – Forest Service, Overview of Management Theory, U.S. Army War College Military Studies Program Paper, February 1991, http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext /u2/a235762.pdf
- MALITSKYJ B.A., POPOVYCH O., ONPRIENKO M.V., Foresight as a scientific-technical approach to defining priorities, NAN Publishing Ukrainy, Center for Scientific and Technical Potential and History of Science named after G.M. Dobrov, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kiev 2008.
- MARTIN B.R., The origins of the concept of “foresight” in science and technology. An insider’s perspective, Techn. For. Soc. Change, 2010, 77, 1438–1447.
- MINTZBERG H., The rise and fall of strategic planning, FT Prentice Hall Financial Times, An imprint of Pearson Education, London, Person Education Ltd., Edinburg 2000.
- NAZARKO J., Regional economic foresight. Method and research instruments, Union of Employers in Warsaw and Mazovia, Warsaw 2013 (in Polish).
- OBŁÓJ K., Organizational strategy, PWE, Warsaw 2014 (in Polish). POPPER R., How are foresight methods selected?, Foresight, 2008, Vol. 10, No. 6, Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- PORTER A.L., Technology futures analysis. Toward integration of the field and new methods, Techn. For. Soc. Change, 2004, 71, 287–303.
- PORTER M.E., Competitive strategy techniques for analyzing industries and competitors, PWE, Warsaw 1998 (in Polish).
- ROHRBECK R., Corporate foresight. Towards a Maturity Model for the Future Orientation of a Firm, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2011.
- ROPUSZYŃSKA-SURMA E., The foresight methods as support of the regional and sector policy, Int. Conf. Trends in Economics and Management for the 21st Century, Brno, Czech Republic, September 20–22th, 2012.
- ROPUSZYŃSKA-SURMA E., Combining quantitative and qualitative methods based on the example of regional foresight related to the energy industry, Econometrics, 2014, 4 (46), 135–150 (in Polish).
- Development strategy for the energy sector in Lower Silesia based on the Delphi approach to foresight, E. Ropuszyńska-Surma, Z. Szalbierz (Eds.), Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Wrocławskiej, Wroclaw 2011 (in Polish).
- ROPUSZYŃSKA-SURMA E., WĘGLARZ M., Regional energy strategy as a guideline for novel regulation process, Comp. Reg. Net. Ind., 2014, 15 (3), 258–283.
- RUFF F., The advanced role of corporate foresight in innovation and strategic management. Reflections on practical experiences from the automotive industry, Techn. For. Soc. Change, 2015, 101, 37–48.
- SEMENCHENKO N., SHKROBOT M., Interactions between the foresight method and public-private partnerships in the formulation of a strategic program for the modernization of hydroelectric power stations, Ef. Ekon., 2013, 7, available at: http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua/index.php?op=1&z=2804 (in Ukrainian).
- SHKROBOT M., Defining a strategy for the modernization of hydroelectric power stations, NTUU KPI, Kiev 2014.
- SLAUGHTER R.A., Futures studies as an intellectual and applied discipline, Am. Behav. Sci., 1998, 42 (3), 372–385 (in Ukrainian).
- TONN B.E., The future of futures decision making, Futures, 2003, 35, 673–688.
- TSOUKAS H, SHEPHERD J., Managing the future. Foresight in the knowledge economy, Blackwell Publ., Malden, MA, USA, 2004.
- VISHNEVSKIY K.O., EGOROVA O.E., Strategic Foresight for SMEs. Choice of the Most Relevant Methods,26th ISPIM Conference – Shaping the Frontiers of Innovation Management, Budapest, Hungary, 14–17 June 2015, available: www.ispim.org (access 18.06.2016, 3–4).
- ZGHUROVSKYY M., Foresight in the construction of a strategy for socio-economic development in Ukraine in the midterm (till 2020) and long-term (till 2030), NTUU KPI, Kiev 2016.
Publication order reference