Family environment, communication and media education
Languages of publication
The family is the first and most important social group in which are achieved foundations of whole human life. There child acquires his first knowledge, skills and habits. However, upbringing in the family cannot be viewed separated from the wider social context. There are also the mass media that have become part of the family environment and in some ways its presence and messages affect on the family and its members. Family communication, experience of self-worth of each member, the family rules and value system as well as the family relation to the larger society make basic aspects of quality of family environment. Considering that today the media have become very present in the family, the question is: Are the media an incentive or disturbance in creating a quality family environment? Parents are an unavoidable media socializer and the significance of parental intervention is particularly stressed for young children, who have just started meeting with the media and everything it offers. Undoubtedly, the media is a source of cultural and spiritual wealth and useful information; they help us in familiarization with contemporary social, political and other developments and trends, and provide the opportunity of learning about the world. On the other hand, in some families the media took primary place, direct and emotional contact is very rare and is replaced by a virtual relationship such as communicating by telephone, text messaging, e-mail, watch TV. Feelings of warmth, understanding and mutual support are almost marginalized. Because is necessary to talk with children about what they saw and heard, with an intention to help them evaluate and understand the meaning of moral instruction and the nature of the content that is offered in various types of media, the aim of this paper is to analyze the positive and negative effects of mass media on family environment and communication. Also, the importance of media education will be highlighted.
- Buckingham, D., 2004. The media literacy of children and young people: A review of the research literature on behalf of Ofcom, London: Centre for the Study of Children Buijzen, M. and Valkenburg, P.M., 2005. "Parental mediation of undesired advertising effects", Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol.49(2), pp.153-165.
- Buljan Flander, G. and Karlović, A., 2004. Odgajam li dobro svoje dijete?: Savjeti za roditelje, Zagreb: MarkoM usluge d.o.o.
- Crabtree, J., Nathan, M. and Roberts, S., 2003. MobileUK: Mobile phones and everyday life, London: Peter Runge House.
- Cunningham, A.E. and Stanovich, K.E., 1998. "What reading does for the mind", American Educator, Spring/Summer, pp.8-15.
- Demirer, V. Bozoglan, B. and Sahin, I., 2013. "Preservice teachers" Internet addiction in terms of gender, internet access, loneliness and life Satisfaction", International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology, Vol.1(1), pp.56-63.
- Gentile, D.A., Lynch, P.J., Linder, J.R. and Walsh, D.A., 2004. "The effects of violent video game habits on addolescent hostility, aggressive behaviours, and school performance", Journal of Adolescence, Vol.27, pp.5-22, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2003.10.002
- Gentile, D.A. and Walsh, D.A., 2002. "A normative study of familiy media habits", Applied Developmental Psychology, Vol.23, pp.157-178, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0193-3973(02)00102-8
- Hedges, C., 2011. Carstvo opsjena: kraj pismenosti i trijumf spektakla, Zagreb: Algoritam
- Hughes, R., Ebata, A.T. and Dollahite, D.C., 1999. "Familiy life in the information age", Familiy Relations, Vol.48, pp.5-6.
- Kunczik, M., Zipfel, A., 2006. Uvod u znanost o medijima i komunikologiju, Zagreb: Zaklada Friedrich Ebert.
- Kundanis, R.M., 2003. Childern, teens, families, and mass media: The millennial generation, New Jersey - London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publisher.
- Lacković, Lj., 2009. Obiteljska atmosfera: zašto je važna?, Zagreb: Obiteljski centar Grada Zagreba
- Lipovčan, S., 2006. Mediji - druga zbilja? Rasprave, ogledi i interpretacije, Zagreb: Hrvatska sveučilišna naknada
- Malović, S., 2007. Mediji i društvo, Zagreb: ICEJ (Opatija), Sveučilišna knjižara d.o.o.
- Miliša, Z., Tolić, M. and Vertovšek, N., 2009. Mediji i mladi: prevencija ovisnosti o medijskoj manipulaciji, Zagreb: Sveučilišna knjižara
- Miliša, Z., Tolić, M. and Vertovšek, N., 2010. Mladi - odgoj za medije: priručnik za stjecanje medijskih kompetencija, Zagreb: M.E.P. d.o.o.
- Miliša, Z., Zloković, J., 2008. "Odgoj i manipulacija djecom u obiteljima i medijima: prepoznavanje i prevencija", Zadar-Rijeka: MarkoM usluge d.o.o.
- National Institute of Mental Health, 1982. "Television and behaviour: ten years of scientific progress and implications for the eighties", Vol.1. Washington, DC: Author
- O'Toole, K., 2000. "Study offers early look at how Internet is changing daily life", Stanford News. Available: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/pr/00/000216internet.html [10 Feb 2014]
- Roberts, D.F. and Foehr, U.G., 2007. "Trends in media use", Spring, Vol.18(1), pp.11-37
- Rosić, V., 2005. Odgoj - obitelj - škola, Rijeka: Naklada Žagar
- Sanders, M.R., Montgomery, D.T. and Brechman-Toussant, M.L., 2000. "The mass media and the prevention of child behaviour problems: The evaluation of a television series to promote positive outcomes for parents and their children", Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Vol.41(7), pp.939-948, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1469-7610.00681
- Satir, V., 1983. Conjoint family therapy, Palo Alto: Science & Behavior Books. Inc.
- Sigman, A., 2010. Daljinski upravljani - Kako televizija šteti našim životima i što po tom pitanju možemo učiniti, Velika Mlaka: Ostvarenje d.o.o.
- Silverblatt, A., 1995. Media literacy: Keys to interpreting media messages. Westport, CT: Praeger
- Thoman, E., 1999. "Skills and strategies for media education", Educational Leadership, Vol.56(5), pp.50-55
- Vertovšek, N., 2012. "Medijska industrija iluzija i prevencija medijske ovisnosti i manipulacije", in Miliša, Z. (ed.) Tamna strana ekrana, pp.37-48, Varaždin: Tiva Tiskara
- Villani, S., 2001. "Impact of media on children and adolescents: A 10-year review of the research", Spring, Vol.4(4), pp.392-401
- Žderić, J., 2009. Medijska kultura djece i mladih: Mogućnosti i zamke, Zagreb: Udruga Medioteka
Publication order reference