DYPLOMACJA KRYKIETOWA INDIE – PAKISTAN JAKO FORMA DIALOGU MIĘDZY SKONFLIKTOWANYMI PAŃSTWAMI
INDIA-PAKISTAN CRICKET DIPLOMACY AS A FORM OF DIALOGUE BETWEEN CONFLICTING NATIONS
Languages of publication
The aim of the article is to investigate the issue of cricket diplomacy between India and Pakistan as an important attempt to normalize relations between the two countries, which have remained strained since both states were granted independence. The term cricket diplomacy encompasses a series of meetings of political leaders of both countries during cricket events as well as the events themselves, which were often organized with the aim of bilateral rapprochement. The research is going to be a case study concerning sports diplomacy between India and Pakistan. The main objective of the article is to verify the hypothesis, according to which cricket diplomacy has been a useful tool for enhancing India-Pakistan relations. The investigation will also encompass the choice of cricket as a driver of diplomacy – a sport that evokes great emotions among both societies.
- Katedra Teorii Polityki i Myśli Politycznej, Wydział Studiów Międzynarodowych i Politologicznych, Uniwersytet Łódzki, ul. Składowa 43, 90-127 Łódź, e-mail: email@example.com
- Bandyopadhyay K., 2010, Feel Good, Goodwill and India’s Friendship Tour of Pakistan, 2004: Cricket, Politics and Diplomacy in Twenty-First-Century India [w:] The Politics of Sport in South Asia, red. S. R. Chakraborty, S. Chakrabarti, K. Chatterjee, London.
- Battachatya B.S., 2013, Nothing But! Book Three: What Price Freedom, [b.m.w.].
- Baumgardner R.J., 1996, Innovation In Pakistani English Political Lexis [w:] South Asian English. Structure, Use, and Users, red. R. J. Baumgardner, Champaign.
- Chari P.R., Cheema P.I., Cohen S.P., 2007, Four Crisis and Peace Process. American Engagement in South Asia, Washington.
- Chopra S., 2012, Brave New Pitch. The Evolution of Modern Cricket, [b.m.w.].
- Cohen S.P., 2004, Indo-Pak Track II Diplomacy: Building Peace or Wasting Time? [w:] Security Beyond Survival. Essays for K. Subrahmanyam, red. P.R. Kumaraswamy, New Delhi.
- Dash K.C., 2008, Regionalism in South Asia. Negotiating cooperation, institutional structures, Abingdon.
- Duerden J., 2013, „Cricket Diplomacy” for India and Pakistan, „The Diplomat”, http://the diplomat.com/2013/01/cricket-diplomacy-for-india-and-pakistan/ (28.12.2015).
- Gifford C., 2009, Cricket, London.
- Khan F.H., 2012, Eating Grass. The Making of Pakistani Bomb, Stanford.
- Khan S.M., Khan A., 2013, Cricket Cauldron. The Turbulent Politics of Sport in Paki-stan, London.
- Malik A., 2015, Is India's Narendra Modi Using Cricket Diplomacy To Try And Resume Talks With Pakistan?, „International Business Times”, http://www.ibtimes.com /indias-narendra-modi-using-cricket-diplomacy-try-resume-talks-pakistan-1815240 (28.12.2015).
- Mittal P., 2015, Cricket: Rules and Regulations, Delhi.
- Murray S., Pigman G.A., 2014, Mapping the relationship between international sport and diplomacy, „Sport in Society”, vol. 17, no. 9. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1080/17430437.2013.856616
- Næss-Holm A., 2007, Batting for Peace. A Study of Cricket Diplomacy between India and Pakistan, Oslo.
- Nayak P., 2008, The Impact of Pakistani’s and Bangladesh’s National Strategies on U.S. Interests [w:] Challenges and Choices. Strategic Asia 2009—09, red. A.J. Tellis, M. Kuoi, A. Marble, Seattle.
- Oborne P., 2015, Wounded Tiger. A history of cricket in Pakistan, London.
- Pigman G.A., 2010, Contemporary Diplomacy, Cambridge.
- Potter E.H., 2009, Branding Canada. Projecting Canada’s Soft Power through Public Diplomacy, Montreal.
- Raja Mohan C., 2015, Modi’s cricket diplomacy: Renewing political contact with Paki-stan, „Indian Express”, http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/modis-cricket-diplomacy-renewing-political-contact-with-pakistan/ (28.12.2015).
- Rowe D., 2011, Global Media Sport. Flows, Forms and Futures, London.
- Rupert J., 2011, Cricket Diplomacy at World Cup May Smooth India-Pakistan Tension, „Bloomberg Business”, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-03-28/cri cket-diplomacy-at-world-cup-may-smooth-tension-between-india-pakistan (28.12. 2015).
- Saez L., 2005, The Political Economy of the India – Pakistan Nuclear Standoff [w:] South Asia’s Nuclear Security Dilemma. India, Pakistan, and China, red. L. Dit-tmer, New York.
- Saxena A., 2011, The Sociology of Sport and Physical Education, Sports Publications, New Delhi.
- Shafqat S., 2013, Sports: Passion and Industry [w:] South Asia 2060. Envisioning Re-gional Futures, red. A. Najami, M. Yusuf, London.
- Showkat N., 2013, Cricket Diplomacy Between India and Pakistan. A Case Study of Leading National Dailies of the Both Countries (The Hindu & Dawn), „Mass Com-munication and Journalism”, 3: 142.
- Tariq A., Cricket Diplomacy, History Pak, historypak.com/cricket-diplomacy/ (28.12.2015).
- Total Population (in number of people), The World Bank, http://data.worldbank. org/indicator/SP.POP.TOTL (28.12.2015)
- Valiotis C., 2005, Cricket in ‘a nation imperfectly imagined’: identity and tradition in postcolonial Pakistan [w:] Cricket and National Identity in the Postcolonial Age. Following on, red. S. Wagg, Abingdon.
- Wolpert S., 2010, India and Pakistan. Continued Conflict or Cooperation, Berkeley.
- Zaki M.M., 2011, American Global Challenges. The Obama Era, New York. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/9780230119116
Publication order reference