A Textual Analysis of John Paul II’s Teaching on Evolution
Languages of publication
The author considers John Paul II’s treatment of the topic of evolution in order to retrieve its full content. He starts with an analysis of the Pope’s 1996 Address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, especially addressing the problem of the meaning of the words that “the theory of evolution . . . [is] more than a hypothesis,” and the problem of hominization. Then, he explores papal statements from 1985 and 1986. Finally, he concludes that John Paul II’s teaching on evolution appears as fragmentary and ambiguous and, as such, requires greater precision and further development, especially for the sake of the Catholic theology of creation.
- Augustine. The Literal Meaning of Genesis, vol. 1, edited by J. Quasten, W. J. Burghardt, T. C. Lawler. Series: Ancient Christian Writers 41. Mahwah, N.J.: Paulist Press, 1982.
- Benedict XVI. Creation and Evolution. A Conference with Pope Benedict XVI in Castel Gandolfo, edited by Stephan O. Horn and Siegfried Wiedenhofer. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2008.
- Chaberek, Michael. Catholicism and Evolution: A History from Darwin to Pope Francis. Kettering, Ohio: Angelico Press, 2015.
- First Vatican Council. Session 4 (18 July 1870), First dogmatic constitution on the Church of Christ. Available online at: http://www.ewtn.com/library/councils/v1.htm#6. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- Francis. Apostolic Exhortation on the Proclamation of the Gospel in Today’s World Evangelii Gaudium (24 November 2013). Available online at: http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20131124_evangelii-gaudium.html. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- Giovanni Paolo II. Udienza Generale [General Audience] (10 July 1985). Available online at: https://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/it/audiences/1985/documents/hf_jp-ii_aud_19850710.html. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- Giovanni Paolo II. Udienza Generale [General Audience] (29 January 1986). Available online at: https://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/it/audiences/1986/documents/hf_jp-ii_aud_19860129.html. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- Hartvigsen, Gregg. A Primer in Biological Data Analysis and Visualization Using R. New York: Columbia University Press, 2014.
- Ioannes Paulus II. “Ad Pontificiae Academiae Scientiarum sodales (22 octobre 1996).” Acta Apostolicae Sedis 89 (1997): 186–190.
- John Paul II. “Address to the Plenary Session and to the Study Week on the Subject Cosmology and Fundamental Physics with Members of Two Working Groups Who Had Discussed Perspectives of Immunisation in Parasitic Diseases and Statement on the Consequences of the Use of Nuclear Weapons (3 October 1981).” In Papal Addresses to The Pontifical Academy of Sciences 1917–2002 and to The Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences 1994–2002, 249–252. Vatican City: The Pontifical Academy of Sciences, 2003.
- John Paul II. “Address to the Plenary Session on the Subject The Origins and Early Evolution of Life (22 October 1996).” In Papal Addresses to The Pontifical Academy of Sciences 1917–2002 and to The Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences 1994–2002, 370–374. Vatican City: The Pontifical Academy of Sciences, 2003.
- John Paul II. “In Creation God Calls the World into Existence from Nothingness” (General Audience, 29 January 1986). In Interdisciplinary Encyclopedia of Religion and Science, edited by the Advanced School for Interdisciplinary Research. Rome: Pontifical University of the Holy Cross. Available online at: http://inters.org/John-Paul-II-Catechesis-Creation-Nothingness. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- John Paul II. “Message to The Pontifical Academy of Sciences: On Evolution.” Available online at: https://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp961022.htm. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- Kaden, Tom, and Thomas Schmidt-Lux. “Scientism and atheism then and now: the role of science in the Monist and New Atheist writings.” Culture and Religion 17, no. 1 (2016): 73–91, DOI: 10.1080/14755610.2016.1160944.
- Leo XIII. Encyclical on the Study of Holy Scripture Providentissimus Deus (1893). Available online at: http://w2.vatican.va/content/leo-xiii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_18111893_providentissimus-deus.html. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- Posner, Kenneth A. Stalking the Black Swan: Research and Decision Making in a World of Extreme Volatility. New York: Columbia University Press, 2010.
- Schönborn, Christoph. “Finding Design in Nature.” The New York Times (July 7, 2005). Available online at: https://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/07/opinion/finding-design-in-nature.html. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- Wojtyła, Karol. Considerations on the Essence of Man—Rozważania o istocie człowieka. Translated by John Grondelski. Lublin-Roma: Polskie Towarzystwo Tomasza z Akwinu & Societa Internazionale Tommaso d’Aquino, 2016.
Publication order reference