Parafia garnizonowa św. Katarzyny w Toruniu w świetle kroniki parafialnej z 2. połowy XX w.
Die Garnisonpfarrgemeinde St. Katharina in Thorn im Lichte der Pfarrchronik aus der 2. Hälfte des 20. Jhs.
Garrison parish of St. Catherine in Toruń in the light of parish chronicle of the second half of the 20th c.
Languages of publication
Until the end of the WW2 there were five diocese parishes in Toruń: of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist, of Jacob the Apostle, of St. James, of St. Peter and Paul, of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of Christ the King. The city was also the seat of the garrison parish of St. Catherine. The origins of the garrison parish date back to the end of the 19th c. and are connected with the presence of a strong military garrison in Toruń. As a result, there was an urgent need for pastoral care for Lutheran soldiers and their families. The construction of the church was launched in 1894, and its dedication, honoured by the presence of Emperor Wilhelm II, took place in 1897. After Poland regained its independence in 1920, the church was taken over by the Polish Army. In July of the following year the church was dedicated by the military bishop Stanisław Gall. The history of the garrison parish in Toruń still waits for its researchers. The article’s aim is to draw attention to a very interesting source, namely the preserved parish chronicle covering the years 1963-1990. The chronicle may be very helpful in reconstructing the post-war history of the parish of St. Catherine. Moreover, its content is also an interesting source, in the light of which we can examine the complex reality of garrison parishes in the post-war Poland, such as rather specific pastoral care and, quite often, the attitude of the priests. The chronicle is also a valuable source for the history of Toruń and the history of the church, both locally and nationally. Finally, the chronicle echoes many nationwide events.
Publication order reference