Armed Forces Operation in the Scope of the Civilian Health Protection during Peacekeeping and Stabilization Missions: A Short Review
Languages of publication
Nowadays, the diversity of armed conflicts determines the participants of international relations to undertake various actions in the scope of civilian health protection. It should be noted that tasks resulting from civilian protection are fulfilled in numerous manners, depending on the situation of the armed conflict. The article presents actions undertaken by the armed forces in the scope of the civilian health protection during peacekeeping and stabilization missions. There are also presented engagement of Polish armed forces in Afghanistan and their actions to improve the civilian population.
- National Security and Logistics Faculty, Polish Air FOrce Academy, ul. Dywizjonu 303 nr 35, 08-521 Dęblin, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of Emergency Medicine, Medical University of Lublin, Racławickie 1, 20-059 Lublin, Poland
- Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Warsaw, Żwirki i Wigury 61, 02-091 Warszawa, Poland
- Bowett, D.W., Barton, G. P., United Nations Forces: A Legal Study., The Lawbook Exchange, Ltd. (2008).
- Droege, C., The interplay between international humanitarian law and international human rights law in situations of armed conflict, Israel Law Review 40 (2) (2007) 310-355.
- Freytag, A., Krüger, J.J., Meierrieks, D., Schneider, F., The origins of terrorism: Cross-country estimates of socio-economic determinants of terrorism., European Journal of Political Economy 27 (2011) 5-16.
- Goniewicz, K., Goniewicz, M., Pawłowski, W., Protection of medical personnel in contemporary armed conflicts., Wiadomosci lekarskie (Warsaw, Poland: 1960) 69 (2 Pt 2) (2016) 280-284.
- Goniewicz, M., Goniewicz, K., Protection of medical personnel in armed conflicts – case study: Afghanistan, European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery 39 (2) (2013) 107-112.
- Henckaerts, J.-M., Study on customary international humanitarian law: A contribution to the understanding and respect for the rule of law in armed conflict, International Review of the Red Cross 87 (857) (2005) 175-212.
- Korzeniewski, K., Augustynowicz, A., Lass, A., Prevalence of intestinal parasites in Afghan community on the example of patients treated in Ghazni Provincial Hospital, International Maritime Health 65 (2) (2014) 68-72.
- Korzeniewski, K., Augustynowicz, A., Smoleń, A., Lass, A., Epidemiology of intestinal parasitic infections in school children in Ghazni Province, eastern Afghanistan, Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 31 (6) (2015) 1421.
- Lass, A., Karanis, P., Korzeniewski, K., First detection and genotyping of Giardia intestinalis in stool samples collected from children in Ghazni Province, eastern Afghanistan and evaluation of the PCR assay in formalin-fixed specimens, Parasitology Research 116 (8) (2017) 2255-2264.
- Maloney, S., et al., The International Security Assistance Force: the origins of a stabilization force (2003).
- Miné, J., The Geneva Conventions and medical personnel in the field, International Review of the Red Cross Archive 27 (257) (1987) 180-191.
- Mullenbach, M. J., Deciding to keep peace: An analysis of international influences on the establishment of third-party peacekeeping missions, International Studies Quarterly 49 (3) (2005) 529-555.
- Smal, T., Janasz, D., Modelling of polish military contingent redeployment from ISAF operation in Afghanistan, Logistics and Transport 20.
- Tobin, J., The challenges and ethical dilemmas of a military medical officer serving with a peacekeeping operation in regard to the medical care of the local population, Journal of medical ethics 31 (10) (2005) 571-574.
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 50.
- Ustawa o powszechnym obowia˛zku obrony Rzeczypospolite Polskiej z dnia 21 listopada 1967 r. (2004).
- Watkin, K., Controlling the use of force: a role for human rights norms in contemporary armed conflict, American Journal of International Law 98 (1) (2004) 1-34.
Publication order reference