End of life in Europe: an empirical analysis
Languages of publication
The goal of this study is to find covariates impacting most profoundly on the risk of death. Individuals aged 50 and more, observed in the Survey on Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe, are examined. The data include 1,692 deceased individuals who took part in up to 3 waves of data collection. Our results, relying on the proportional hazard model, show that the impact of health and demographic factors on the risk of death is more pronounced than that of social factors. It is found that economic factors are statistically insignificant for the risk of death, checking other factors in the model.
- Backlund E., Sorlie P.D., Norman J.J. (1996), The shape of the relationship between income and mortality in the United States: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Mortality Study, Annals of Epidemiology 6: 12–20.
- Beck A.T. (1967), Depression: Clinical, Experimental, and Theoretical Aspects, Harper & Row, New York.
- Berkman L.F., Syme L.S. (1979), Social networks, host resistance, and mortality: A nine-year follow-up study of Alameda County residents, American Journal of Epidemiology 109: 186–204.
- Buckley N.J., Denton F.T., Robb L.A., Spencer B.G. (2004), The transition from good to poor health: An econometric study of the older population, Journal of Health Economics 23: 1013–1034.
- Caselli G., Vallin J. (2006), Geographic variations of mortality, [in:] G. Caselli, J. Vallin, G. Wunsch (eds.), Demography: Analysis and Synthesis. A Treatise in Population Studies, vol. 2, Elsevier, Burlington, San Diego, London, pp. 207–234.
- Cox D.R. (1972), Regression models and life tables (with discussion), Journal of Royal Statistical Society Series B, 34 (2): 187–220.
- Eurostat (2011), Life Tables, http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=demo_mlifetable&lang=en (accessed 28 October 2011).
- Frankenberg E., Jones N.R. (2004), Self-rated health and mortality: Does the relationship extend to a low income setting, Journal of Health & Social Behavior 45: 441–452.
- Gartner A., Farewell D., Roach P., Dunstan F. (2011), Rural/urban mortality differences in England and Wales and the effect of deprivation adjustment, Social Science & Medicine 72: 1685–1694.
- Gompertz B. (1825), On the nature of the function expressive of the law of the human mortality and on a new mode of determining the value of life contingencies, Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society of London 27: 513–583.
- Hall R., Ogden P.E., Hill C. (1997), The pattern and structure of one-person households in England and Wales and France, International Journal of Population Geography 3: 161–181.
- Ho S.-H. (2008), Survival analysis of living arrangements and health care utilization in terms of total mortality among the middle aged and elderly in Taiwan, The Journal of Nursing Research 16: 160–168.
- Idler E.L., Benyamini Y. (1997), Self-rated health and mortality: A review of twenty-seven community studies, Journal of Health & Social Behavior 38: 21–37.
- Kahn M.E. (2005), The death toll from natural disasters: The role of income, geography, and institutions, Review of Economic & Statistics 87: 271–284.
- Kaplan G.A., Strawbridge W.J., Camacho T., Cohen R.D. (1993), Factors associated with change in physical functioning in the elderly: A six-year prospective study, Journal of Aging & Health 5: 140–53.
- Katz S., Ford A.B., Moskowitz R.W., Jackson B.A., Jaffe M.W. (1963), Studies of illness in the aged. The index of ADL: A standardized measure of biological and psychological function, Journal of American Medical Association 185: 914–919.
- Kobrin F.E. (1976), The fall in household size and the rise of the primary individual in the United States, Demography 13: 127–138.
- Korten A.E., Jorm A.F., Jiao Z., Letenneur L., Jacomb P.A., Henderson S.A., Christensen H., Rodgers B. (1999), Health, cognitive, and psychosocial factors as predictors of mortality in an elderly community sample, Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 53: 83–88.
- Kunst A.E., Mackenbach J.P. (1994), The size of mortality differences associated with educational level in nine industrialized countries, American Journal of Public Health 84: 932–937.
- LaCroix A.Z., Lang J., Scherr P., Wallace R.B., Cornoni-Huntley J., Berkman L., Curb D.J., Evans D., Hennekens C.H. (1991), Smoking and mortality among older men and women in three communities, The New England Journal of Medicine 324: 1619–1625.
- Leventhal E. (1994), Gender and aging: Women and their aging, [in:] V. Adesso, D. Reddy, R. Fleming (eds.), Psychological Perspectives on Women’s Health, Taylor & Francis, Washington, pp. 11–35.
- Lissner L., Bengtsson C., Bjorklund C., Wedel H. (1996), Physical activity levels and changes in relation to longevity, American Journal of Epidemiology 143: 54–62.
- Lynch S. (2006), Explaining life course and cohort variation in the relationship between education and health: The role of income, Journal of Health & Social Behavior 47: 324–338.
- Mackenbach J.P., Avendano M., Andersen-Ranberg K., Aro A.R. (2005), Physical health, [in:] A. Borsch-Supan (ed.), Ageing and Retirement in Europe. First Results from the Survey on Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe, Mannheim Research Institute for the Economics of Ageing, Mannheim, pp. 82–88.
- Martikainen P.T., Valkonen T. (1998), The effects of differential unemployment rate increases of occupation groups on changes in mortality, American Journal of Public Health 88: 1859–1861.
- McDonough P., Duncan G., Williams D.R., House J.S. (1997), Income dynamics and adult mortality in the United States, 1972 through 1989, American Journal of Public Health 87: 1476–1483.
- Mossey J.M., Shapiro E. (1982), Self-rated health: A predictor of mortality among the elderly, American Journal of Public Health 72: 800–808.
- Mutran E., Ferraro K.F. (1988), Medical need and use of services among older men and women, Journal of Gerontology Social Sciences 43: 162–171.
- Newman A.B., Brach J.S. (2001), Gender gap longevity and disability in older persons, Epidemiologic Review 23: 343–350.
- Pijls L.T., Feskens E.J., Kromhout D. (1993), Self-rated health, mortality, and chronic diseases in elderly men. The Zutphen Study, 1985–1990, American Journal of Epidemiology 138: 840–848.
- Rakowski W., Mor V. (1992), The association of physical activity with mortality among older adults in the Longitudinal Study of Aging (1984–1988), Journal of Gerontology Medical Sciences 47: 122–129.
- Rantanen T., Guralnik J.M., Foley D., Masaki K., Leveille S., Curb D.J., White L. (1999), Midlife hand grip strength as a predictor of old age disability, Journal of the American Medical Association 281: 558–560.
- Schoen C., Doty M.M. (2004), Inequities in access to medical care in five countries: Findings from the 2001 Commonwealth Fund International Health Policy Survey, Health Policy 67: 309–322.
- Schrijvers C.T.M., Stronks K., van de Mheen D.H., Mackenbach J.P. (1999), Explaining educational differences in mortality: The role of behavioral and material factors, American Journal of Public Health 89: 535–540.
- Shahtahmasebi S., Davies R., Wenger C.G. (1992), A longitudinal analysis of factors related to survival in old age, The Gerontologist 32: 404–413.
- Sorlie P.D., Rogot E. (1990), Mortality by employment status in the National Longitudinal Mortality Study, American Journal of Epidemiology 132: 983–992.
- Stronks K., van de Mheen D.H., van den Bos J., Mackenbach J.P. (1997), The interrelationship between income, health and employment status, International Journal of Epidemiology 26: 592–600.
- Wilkinson R.G. (1996), Unhealthy Societies. The Afflictions of Inequality, Routledge, London.
- World Health Organization (2000), Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic, World Health Organization Technical Report Series 894, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2011), Global Health Observatory Data Repository. Risk Factors, Alcohol, http://apps.who.int/ghodata/?vid=2469 (accessed 25 May 2011).
- Wulff M. (2001), Growth and change in one person households: Implications for the housing market, Urban Policy & Research 19: 467–489.
Publication order reference