Forever Displaced?: Identity, Migration, and the Concept of Home in the Works of Manzu Islam, Neamat Imam, and Tahmima Anam.
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
This paper explores the meaning of identity and nation, home and belonging, through the study of internal and international migration in three novels. In doing so it encoun- ters the construction of collective identity in Manzu Islam’s Song of our Swampland, the dystopian dislocation in Neamat Imam’s The Black Coat and the concept of meta-home in Tahmima Anam’s The Bones of Grace. The complex, unstable space of diaspora seems ever evolving and forever shifting. Here ‘home’ becomes what Homi K. Bhabha has ex- pounded as “a mythic place of desire.” In this fluid construction of diasporic existence the paper examines the concepts of “de-territorialization,” “unhoming,” “dislocation,” “iden- tity,” and “belonging.”
- Ahmed, Sara. 1999. “Home and away.” International Journal of Cultural Studies 2.3: 329–347.
- Anam, Tahmima. 2016. The Bones of Grace. London: Hamish Hamilton.
- Anderson, Benedict. 2006. Imagined Communities: Refl ections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. New York: Verso.
- Bartholomew, Amy, and Margit Mayer. 1992. “Nomads of the Present: Melucci’s Contribution to New Social Movement Theory.” Theory, Culture and Society 9.4: 141–159.
- Bhaba, Homi. 1984. “Of Mimicry and Man: The Ambivalence of Colonial Discourse.” Discipleship: A Special Issue on Psychoanalysis 28: 125–133.
- Brah, Avtar. 1996. Cartographies of Diaspora: Contesting Identities. London and New York: Routledge.
- Cohen, Robin. 2007. “Solid, Ductile and Liquid: Changing Notions of Homeland and Home in Diaspora Studies.” QEH Working Paper Series – QEHWPS156: 1–17.
- Fominaya, Cristina Flesher. 2010. “Collective Identity in Social Movements: Central Concepts and Debates.” Sociology Compass 4.6: 393–404.
- Frank, Søren. 2008. Migration and Literature: Günter Grass, Milan Kundera, Salman Rushdie, and Jan Kjærstad. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Fernandez, Irene Perez. 2009. “Representing Third Spaces, Fluid Identities and Contested Spaces in Contemporary British Literature.” Atlantis 31.1: 143–160
- Frost, Robert. 1973. “The Death Of The Hired Man.” Robert Frost: Selected Poems. London: Penguin Books.
- Gordin, Michael D., Helen Tilley, and Gyan Prakash. 2010. “Introduction.” Utopia/ Dystopia: Conditions of Historical Possibility. Ed. Michael D. Gordin, Helen Tilley, and Gyan Prakash. Princeton: Princeton University Press. 1–17.
- Hasanat, Fayeza. 2017. “Religion, Diaspora and the Politics of a Homing Desire in the Writings of Zia Haider Rahman, Tahmima Anam and Monica Ali.” Asiatic 11.1: 57–68.
- Imam, Neamat. 2013. The Black Coat. London: Hamish Hamilton.
- Islam, Manzu. 2011. Song of Our Swampland. Dhaka: Shahitya Prakash.
- King, Russell, John Connell, and Paul E. White, ed. 1995. Writing Across Worlds: Literature and Migration. London and New York: Routledge.
- Leon, Carol E. 2003. “Textual Travel: Creating the Homespace and the Search for Belonging in Michael Ondaatje’s ‘Running in the Family.’” Asian Journal of Social Science 31.1: 5–18.
- Macaulay, Thomas Babington. “Minute by the Hon’ble T. B. Macaulay.” https://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00generallinks/macaulay/ txt_minute_education_1835.html
- Marx, Karl, and Friedrich Engels. 2012. The Communist Manifesto: A Modern Edition. New York: Verso.
- Melucci, Alberto. 1995. “The Process of Collective Identity.” Social Movements and Culture. Ed. Hank Johnston and Bert Klandermans. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.41–63.
- Moslund, Sten Pultz. 2010. Migration Literature and Hybridity: The Diff erent Speeds of Transcultural Change. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Polletta, Francesca, and James M. Jasper. 2001. “Collective Identity and Social Movements.” Annual Review of Sociology 27.1: 283–305.
- Porteous, J. Douglas. 1976. “Home: The Territorial Core.” Geographical Review 66.4: 383–390.
- Ralph, David, and Lynn A. Staeheli. 2011. “Home and Migration: Mobilities, Belongings and Identities.” Geography Compass 5.7: 517–530.
- Reed, Valerie. 2008. “Bringing Antigone Home?” Comparative Literature Studies 45.3: 316–340.
- Stumpf, Samuel Enoch, and James Fieser. 2008. Socrates and Sartre and Beyond: A History of Philosophy. New York: McGraw-Hill Vanaik, Achin. “Marxism and Nationalism.” https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/3578-marxism-and-nationalism.
- Yack, Bernard. 2012. Nationalism and the Moral Psychology of Community. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press.
Publication order reference