A digital electronics course based on a hybrid delivery method using Digilent BASYS FPGA boards
Languages of publication
The article discusses the teaching methodology for a digital electronics course utilizing BASYS Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) boards (Digilent, Inc.), with a hybrid or blended classroom delivery method. The article outlines a methodology that combines the teaching of current digital circuit design technology with the use of a pedagogical approach to online delivery for a proportion of the course lectures. The FPGA boards by Digilent offer a modern PLD technology platform where beginners and more advanced practitioners alike may design and implement digital circuits with various operational capabilities. This means that the boards offer state-of-the art technology for computer engineering instructors to effectively introduce modern programmable memory technologies in the classroom. However, in light of the increased necessity for flexibility in college course delivery methods, the article also shows a successful method of material delivery that incorporates an online component. This aspect addresses the current expectations for greater course delivery flexibility and convenience due to the increasing number of adult students who need to work to support themselves and/or their families. Thus, the article offers an effective pedagogical approach to teaching current digital circuit analysis and design using a modern material delivery method.
- Ashenden, P. J. (2008). The designer's guide to VHDL (3rd ed). Morgan Kaufmann.
- Collis, B., Bruijstens, H., & van der Veen, J. K. (2003). Course redesign for blended learning: modern optics for technical professionals. International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Lifelong Learning, 13(1/2), 22-38. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJCEELL.2003.002151
- DASA. (2018). Self-Reflective Techniques. https://dasa.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2018/05/04-Self-Reflection_2018.pptx.pdf
- Dziuban, C. D., Hartman, J. L., & Moskal, P. D. (2004). Blended learning. Center for Applied Research EDUCAUSE. https://www.educause.edu/~/media/files/library/2004/3/erb0407-pdf.pdf?la=en
- Gapinski, A. J. (2012). Online education: An instructor perspective. LACCEI (10th Latin American and Caribbean Consortium of Engineering Institutions) Conf. Proceedings. July 23-26. http://laccei.org/LACCEI2012-Panama/RefereedPapers/RP051.pdf
- Gapinski A. J. (2013). Industrial automation: Teaching PLC class in a hybrid format. Proceedings of IEMS, Cocoa Beach, FL. March 25-27 (pp. 77-81). https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7iklgmfc52cws3/2013%20Proceedings.pdf?dl=0
- Gapinski, A. J. (2018). Digital electronics with DIGILENT BASYS 2 & 3 FPGA boards. Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Gapinski, A. J. (2019). Digital circuit design with DIGILENT FPGAs boards. International Conference on Industry, Engineering, and Management Systems (IEMS), Clearwater Beach, FL. March 17-20.
- Garrison, D. R., & Kanuka, H. (2004). Blended learning: Uncovering its transformative potential in higher education. The Internet and Higher Education, 7(2), 95-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2004.02.001
- Haskell, R. E., & Hanna, D. M. (2009). Introduction to digital design using Digilent FPGA boards - block diagram / VHDL examples. LBE Books.
- Hardware description language (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved June 5, 2019 from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_description_language
- Karabulut Ilgu, A., & Jahren, C. T. (2015). Faculty perspectives on benefits and challenges of hybrid learning. American Society for Engineering Education. https://www.asee.org/public/conferences/56/papers/11902/download
- Katz, R. H., & Borriello, G. (2004). Contemporary logic design (2nd ed.). Pearson.
- Lamport, M. A., & Hill, R. J. (2012). Impact of hybrid instruction on student achievement in post-secondary institutions: A synthetic review of the literature. Journal of Instructional Research, 1, 49-58. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1127597.pdf
- Lee, S. (1999). Design of computers and other complex digital devices. Prentice Hall.
- Marcus, J. (2020, April 23). Will the coronavirus forever alter the college experience? The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/education/learning/coronavirus-online-education-college.html
- Means, B., Toyama, Y., Murphy, R., Bakia, M., & Jones, K. (2010). Evaluation of evidence-based practices in online learning: A meta-analysis and review of online learning studies. U.S. Department of Education, Office of Planning, Evaluation, and Policy Development. https://www2.ed.gov/rschstat/eval/tech/evidence-based-practices/finalreport.pdf
- Mano, M. M., & Ciletti, M. D. (2018). Digital design with an introduction to the Verilog HDL, VHDL, and System Verilog (6th ed.). Pearson Education.
- Scarpino, F. (1998). VHDL and AHDL digital system implementation. Prentice Hall.
- Turula, A. (2017). ICT goes university. Three ideas and their implementations. e-mentor, 3(70), 33-46. https://doi.org/10.15219/em70.1305
- Van den Bout, D. (1998). The practical Xilinx designer lab book. Prentice Hall.
- Widmer, N. S., Moss, G. L., & Tocci, R. J. (2017). Digital systems: Principles and applications (12th ed.). Pearson Education.
- Yalamanchili, S. (2005). VHDL: A starter's guide (2nd ed). Pearson.
Publication order reference