Global Systemically Important Banks – How To Identify and Regulate Them?
Languages of publication
In this paper we investigate the issues of identification and capital regulation of global systemically important banks (G-SIBs). Both issues are fundamental for global financial stability. However, there are many open questions that remain on the political and academic agenda. We underline that the simple ratiobased solution for the identification and regulation of G-SIBs presents many drawbacks and the idea to increase loss absorption capacity may generate new risks that are not covered under the current regulatory framework.
- Acharya V., Pedersen L., Philippon T., Richardson M. (2012): Measuring Systemic Risk. “CEPR Discussion Paper”, No. DP8824.
- Adrian T., Brunnermeier K.(2011): CoVaR. “NBER Working Paper”, No. 17454.
- Agarwal V., Taffler R. (2008): Comparing the Performance of Market-based and Accounting- Based Bankruptcy Prediction Models. “Journal of Banking and Finance”, Vol. 32, No. 8.
- Aggarwal R., Jacques K.T. (2001): The Impact of FDICIA and Prompt Corrective Action on Bank Capital and Risk: Estimates Using a Simultaneous Equations Model. “Journal of Banking and Finance”, Vol. 25, No. 6.
- Bauer J., Agarwal V. (2014): Are Hazard Models Superior to Traditional Bankruptcy Prediction Approaches? A Comprehensive Test. “Journal of Banking and Finance” March, Vol. 40.
- BCBS (2010): Results of the Comprehensive Quantitative Impact Study. December, Basel.
- BCBS (2011): Global Systemically Important Banks: Assessment Methodology and the Additional Loss Absorbency Requirement. Rules Text. November, Basel.
- BCBS (2013): Global Systemically Important Banks: Updated Assessment Methodology and the Higher Loss Absorbency Requirement, July, Basel.
- Bongini P. and Nieri L. (2014): Identifying and Regulating SIFIs. “Economic Notes by Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA”, Vol. 43, No. 1
- Castro C., Ferrari S. (2014): Measuring and Testing for the Systemically Important Financial Institutions. “Journal of Empirical Finance”, Vol. 25, No. 1.
- CEBS (2010): Results of the Comprehensive Quantitative Impact Study. December, London.
- Freixas X., Rochet J.-Ch. (2013): Taming Systemically Important Financial Institutions. “Journal of Money, Credit and Banking”, Vol. 45, No. 1, doi: 10.1111/jmcb.12036.
- Gennotte G., Pyle D. (1991): Capital Controls and Bank Risk. “Journal of Banking and Finance”, Vol. 15, No. 4 5.
- Gonzales F. (2005): Bank Regulation and Risk-taking Incentives: An International Comparison of Bank Risk. “Journal of Banking and Finance”, Vol. 29, No. 5.
- Iwanicz-Drozdowska M., Schab I. (2014): Capital Regulation of G-SIBs: Does One Size Fit All? June 14, SSRN, http://ssrn.com/abstract=2450529.
- Jacques K., Nigro P. (1997): Risk-Based Capital, Portfolio Risk, and Bank Capital: A Simultaneous Equations Approach. “Journal of Economics and Business”, Vol. 49, No. 6.
- Jokipii T., Milne A. (2011): Bank Capital Buffer and Risk Adjustment Decisions. “Journal of Financial Stability”, Vol. 7, No. 3.
- Kahane Y. (1977): Capital Adequacy and the Regulation of Financial Intermediaries. “Journal of Banking & Finance”, Vol. 1 (2), pp. 207-218.
- Keeley M., Furlong F. (1989): Capital Regulation and Bank Risk-Taking: A Note. “Journal of Banking and Finance”, Vol. 13, No. 6.
- Keeley M., Furlong T (1990): A Reexamination of Mean-Variance Analysis of Bank Capital Regulation. “Journal of Banking and Finance”, Vol. 14, No. 1.
- Koehn M., Santomero A. (1980): Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk. “The Journal of Finance”, Vol. 35 (5), pp. 1235-1244.
- Merton, R. (1977): An Analytical Derivation of the Cost of Deposit Insurance and Loan Guarantees. “Journal of Banking and Finance”, Vol. 1, No. 1.
- Rime B. (2001): Capital Requirements and Bank Behavior: Empirical Evidence for Switzerland. “Journal of Banking and Finance”, Vol. 25, No. 4.
- Sharp W. (1978): Bank Capital Adequacy, Deposit Insurance and Security Values. “The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis”, Vol. 13.
- Shrieves R., Dahl D. (1992): The Relationship between Risk and Capital in Commercial Banks. “Journal of Banking and Finance”, Vol. 16, No. 2.
Publication order reference