Miejsca wystawiania instrumentów notarialnych w przestrzeni Zamku Malborskiego w XIV i w pierwszej połowie XV wieku
Places of displaying notarial instruments in Malbork Castle in the 14th and the first half of the 15th centuries
Languages of publication
It was not until a short time ago that scientists noticed the research potential of notarial instruments for the examination of the topography of Malbork Castle in the Middle Ages. Documents of this type were characterized by a particularly exact definition of the place where they were drawn up. Up to now there have survived over 200 notarial instruments made out in Malbork castle between 1324 and 1454, at least 90 of which bear the name of the exact place where they were drawn up. In general, the detailed analysis of the sources leads to the conclusion that the “palace” of grand masters, situated in the southern part of the western wing of the densely laid out first internal settlement outside the castle walls was erected at the beginning of the 1330s (before March 1333). Its reconstruction, which gave it its present spatial form, might have finished at the beginning of the 1370s. In a few rooms of the “palace” notarial instruments were displayed most oft en. They were: the Winter Refectory in the central-southern part of the floor, “the council room” in the central-southern part of the ground floor and the chamber (“stubella”, “camera”, “commodum”) occupied by grand masters on the first floor in the north-east part of the “palace”. Quite oft en the place where notarial documents were drawn up was the Great Refectory in the western wing of the densely laid out first internal settlement outside the castle on the occasion of various chapter assemblies of the Teutonic Knights. The content of the document of 15 September 1337 proves that the room already existed at that time. In other rooms of Malbork Castle notarial instruments were drawn up sporadically. Such places included: “the old woodcarving workshop” in the first external settlement outside the castle, “upper chambers” of great commanders in the eastern part of the northern wing of the densely laid out first internal settlement outside the castle, “upper chambers” of treasurers in St. Ann’s Church in the eastern part of the fi rst internal settlement outside the castle, the coach house in the eastern part of the second settlement outside the castle. In the proper convent in the High Castle notarial instruments were drawn up very rarely. Th ere exist only two documented cases of notarial instruments drawn up in the main temple situated upstairs in the eastern part of the northern wing and in one of the arms of the internal cloister of the castle.
Publication order reference