2008 | 8 - Współczesny Daleki Wschód w stosunkach międzynarodowych - rywalizacja i mocarstwowość | 405-428
Stosunki handlowe pomiędzy Stanami Sjednoczonymi a Chińską Republiką Ludową (1979-2006)
China-USA Trade Relations (1979-2006)
Languages of publication
USA-China commercial relations can be dated as early as the beginning of the independence of the United States and had been started with so called Old China Trade. In the second half of 19th Century, USA were still kept interest in China, however their principal commitment in East Asia was emphasized on Philippines. Such approach has been changed as the result of Japanese military policy during 1920's and 1930's, when China started to be seen as potential, major ally of the United States and counterpoise to Japanese expansion in the region and foreseen candidate for principal ally in the time of Second World War and right after it. The complicated political situation on Mainland China after the seizure of the power by Communists, Taiwanese question and the period of the Cold War resulted with factual freezing of Sino-American relations. Political opening of USA at China at the beginning of 1970's as well as more liberal reforms introduced in 1978 by new political Chinese leadership with Deng Xiaoping had created necessary conditions to restore trading relations between the two nations. This paper is concentrated on development of U.S.-China trade relations in 1990's as well as at the beginning of 21C, and some predictions concerning prognosis up to 2020. The paper is also presenting how the collapse of USSR and changes in Central-East Europe have reflected on transferring of the stress in Chinese trade relations with the other countries, and particularly by turning them into global dimension specially to cooperate with EU and USA since WTO accession by China in 2001. What caused such rapid development? What is the main mutual attraction; U.S. market for China and at smaller scale Chinese market for USA? China by the all predictions may become in 2020 the only nation, which will be able to challenge USA at least on trade, and in broader sense, on economic level.
- Barker N., U.S. Trade with China; Expectations vs. Reality, „Oxford Papers", Oxford 2006.
- Ding G., What Wrong with Sino-U.S. Trade Relations?, „Global Times", 1.10.2005.
- Dunning J.H., Globalization of Business, Routledge, London, 1992.
- Haliżak E., Zmiana układu sił USA -Chiny a transformacja porządku międzynarodowego, zeszyt nr 7, Żurawia Papers, Warszawa 2005.
- Liu H.C.K., The Wages of Neo-Liberalism, Part 2: The US-China trade imbalance, „Asia Times, Greater China", 31.03.2006.
- Smith R. & Cooper C.: The US-China 'disconnect, „Asia Times, Greater China", 26.04. 2006.
Publication order reference