PL EN


Journal
2014 | 16 | 2 | 241-250
Article title

HISTORIA POWSTANIA MUZEUM DIECEZJALNEGO W ŁOMŻY

Authors
Content
Title variants
EN
THE DIOCESAN MUSEUM IN ŁOMŻA
Languages of publication
PL
Abstracts
EN
The Diocesan Museum in Łomża was established in 2012. On April 16 of that year officially, in the presence of the Apostolic Nuncio in Poland, a new cultural institution initiated its activities. That day was the culmination of the wishes of many generations of priests who wanted the diocese to have its own museum with different collections of art. The space occupied by the Diocesan Museum in Łomża is a place where every visitor can learn about the history of the Diocese. About 450 m2 of the building are dedicated to expositions. The main room of the museum has as its title: “Between heaven and earth” and it is a gallery of sculpture and painting. The second room was given the name: “On the rectory”. Its arrangement is an attempt to recreate the interior of a rectory, which as a house and a meeting place is an integral part of the functioning of every parish. The next room is called “Treasury”. The objects gathered there are mainly made of silver and gold, as well as copper and brass. The exhibited collection includes: monstrances, chalices, crosses, reliquaries, ampoules, bells. The oldest chalices on display come from the Gothic period. The newest present in the collection are from the twentieth century. Thanks to the determination of the Bishop of Łomża Stanislaw Stefanek and his successor, Bishop Janusz Stepnowski, the Diocesan Museum officially inaugurated its activities on April 16, 2012. A year later, on April 8, 2013 a further display room was opened, set aside for temporary exhibitions. These are changed regularly and the large number of visitors of the exhibitions is for us an expression of gratitude for the work that is being done. During a year and a half that the Museum is opened, it has been visited by over 10,000 people. We are happy because of the interest not only of the local inhabitants, but also of groups from the whole of Poland and from abroad. In addition to the possibility of seeing the exhibits, we are also prepared to conduct museum lessons in a specially prepared room for such encounters, by earlier appointment. Thus, learning about local history can be connected with spending time in a creative and joyful way. I invite all our guests to the building of the Diocesan Museum of Łomża and to take a website tour by means of the site: www.muzeumdiecezjalne.home.pl
Keywords
Journal
Year
Volume
16
Issue
2
Pages
241-250
Physical description
Contributors
  • KATOLICKI UNIWERSYTET LUBELSKI
References
Document Type
Publication order reference
Identifiers
ISSN
1896-6896
ISSN
2353-1274
YADDA identifier
bwmeta1.element.desklight-e3d6a830-5eb1-4a46-b1b6-0900c1939b13
JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. Turn it on to take full advantage of this site, then refresh the page.