On the performance of modified EWMA charts using resampling schemes
Languages of publication
Two popular sampling schemes have been used to design control charts by means of a modified exponentially weighted moving average (EWMA) statistic. The structures of the proposed charts, using repetitive group sampling and multiple dependent state sampling, have been presented. The values of average run length have been determined by some specified control chart parameters. The performance of the proposed chart was illustrated via a simulation study. The efficiency of the proposed chart has been compared with the existing one. A practical example based on real data was also given to explain the application of the proposed chart in industry.
- Department of Statistics, College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (Jhang Campus), University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Outfall Road Lahore 54000, Pakistan
- Faculty of Information Technology, University of Central Punjab, 1 Khayaban-e-Jinnah Road, Johar Town, Lahore, Pakistan
- Department of Statistics, Faculty of Sciences, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah 21551, Saudi Arabia
- Department of Industrial and Management Engineering, POSTECH, Chungamro 77, Pohang 37673, South Korea
- MONTGOMERY D.C., Introduction to Statistical Quality Control, Wiley, 2007.
- FUGATE M.L., SOHN H., FARRAR C.R., Vibration-based damage detection using statistical process control, Mech. Syst. Signal Proc., 2001, 15 (4), 707–721.
- MORTON A.P., WHITBY M., MCLAWS M.L., DOBSON A., MCELWAIN S., LOOKE D., SARTOR A., The application of statistical process control charts to the detection and monitoring of hospital‐acquired infections, J. Qual. Clin. Pract., 2001, 21 (4), 112–117.
- ANDERSON M.J., THOMPSON A.A., Multivariate control charts for ecological and environmental monitoring, Ecol. Appl., 2004, 14 (6), 1921–1935.
- WOODALL W.H., The Use of Control Charts in Health-Care and Public-Health Surveillance /Discussion /Discussion/Discussion/Discussion/Discussion/Discussion/Rejoinder, J. Qual. Techn., 2006, 38 (2), 89.
- ROBERTS S., Control chart tests based on geometric moving averages, Techn., 2000, 42 (1), 97–101.
- HUNTER J.S., The exponentially weighted moving average, J. Quality Technol., 1986, 18 (4), 203–210.
- MUTH J.F., Optimal properties of exponentially weighted forecasts, J. Am. Stat. Assoc., 1960, 55 (290), 299–306.
- FREUND R.A., Graphical process control, Ind. Qual. Control, 1962, 18 (7), 15–22.
- ESCOBEDO L.G., CHORBA T.L., REMINGTON P.L., ANDA R.F., SANDERSON L., ZAIDI A.A., The influence of safety belt laws on self-reported safety belt use in the United States, Acc. Anal. Prev., 1992, 24 (6), 643–653.
- STEINER S.H., EWMA control charts with time-varying control limits and fast initial response, J. Qual. Techn., 1999, 31 (1), 75.
- KHAN N., ASLAM M., JUN C.H., Design of a control chart using a modified EWMA statistic, Qual. Rel. Eng. Int., 2017, 33 (5), 1095–1104.
- ASLAM M., A mixed EWMA–CUSUM control chart for Weibull‐distributed quality characteristics, Qual. Rel. Eng. Int., 2016, 32 (8), 2987–2994.
- SHERMAN R.E., Design and evaluation of a repetitive group sampling plan, Techn., 1965, 7 (1), 11–21.
- BALAMURALI S., JUN C.-H., Repetitive group sampling procedure for variables inspection, J. Appl. Stat., 2006, 33 (3), 327–338.
- AHMAD L., ASLAM M., JUN C.-H., Designing of X-bar control charts based on process capability index using repetitive sampling, Trans. Institute of Measurement and Control, 2014, 36 (3), 367–374.
- ASLAM M., AZAM M., JUN C.-H., New attributes and variables control charts under repetitive sampling, Ind. Eng. Manage. Syst., 2014, 13 (1), 101–106.
- ASLAM M., KHAN N., JUN C.-H., A new S2 control chart using repetitive sampling, J. Appl. Stat., 2015, 42 (11), 2485–2496.
- AZAM M., ASLAM M., JUN C.-H., Designing of a hybrid exponentially weighted moving average control chart using repetitive sampling, Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Techn., 2015, 77 (9–12), 1927–1933.
- ASLAM M., SRINIVASA RAO G., AHMAD L., JUN C.H., A control chart for multivariate Poisson distribution using repetitive sampling, J. Appl. Stat., 2017, 44 (1), 123–136.
- WORTHAM A., BAKER R., Multiple deferred state sampling inspection, Int. J. Prod. Res., 1976, 14 (6), 719–731.
- VAERST R., A procedure to construct multiple deferred state sampling plan, Meth. Oper. Res., 1982, 37, 477–485.
- SOUNDARARAJAN V., VIJAYARAGHAVAN R., Construction and selection of multiple dependent (deferred) state sampling plan, J. Appl. Stat., 1990, 17 (3), 397–409.
- BALAMURALI S., KALYANASUNDARAM M., Determination of conditional double sampling scheme, J. Appl. Stat., 1999, 26 (8), 893–902.
- BALAMURALI S., JUN C.-H., Multiple dependent state sampling plans for lot acceptance based on measurement data, European J. Oper. Res., 2007, 180 (3), 1221–1230.
- ASLAM M., AZAM M., JUN C.-H., Multiple dependent state sampling plan based on process capability index, J. Test. Eval., 2013, 41 (2), 1–7.
- ASLAM M., NAZIR A., JUN C.-H., A new attribute control chart using multiple dependent state sampling, Trans. Institute of Measurement and Control, 2015, 37 (4), 569–576.
- ASLAM M., AZAM M., KHAN N., JUN C.H., A control chart for an exponential distribution using multiple dependent state sampling, Qual. Quant., 2015, 49 (2), 455–462.
- ASLAM M., AHMAD L., JUN C.H., ARIF O.H., A control chart for COM–Poisson distribution using multiple dependent state sampling, Qual. Rel. Eng. Int., 2016, 32 (8), 2803–2812.
- ASLAM M., AZAM M., JUN C.-H., Multiple dependent state repetitive group sampling plan for Burr XII distribution, Qual. Eng., 2016, 28 (2), 231–237.
- DOBBAH S.A., HAFEEZ A., ASLAM M., KHAN N., KHAN K., Mixed multiple dependent state sampling plan using exponentially weighted moving average, J. Comp. Theor. Nanosci., 2016, 13 (3), 1649–1655.
- PATEL A.K., DIVECHA J., Modified exponentially weighted moving average (EWMA) control chart for an analytical process data, J. Chem. Eng. Mater. Sci., 2011, 2 (1), 12–20.
- SHEWHART W.A., Economic control of quality of manufactured product, van Nostrand, Toronto 1931.
Publication order reference