Three step procedure for a multiple criteria problem of project portfolio scheduling
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
The project portfolio scheduling problem as a multiple criteria decision making problem and a three step procedure to solve this problem have been presnted. In the first step, the problem was described by a multiple criteria mathematical model. Three criteria have been considered: minimization of the sum of penalties for projects delays, minimization of resource overuse and NPV maximization. In the second step, non-dominated solutions were identified by using an elitist evolutionary algorithm for multiple optimization. In the third step, an interactive procedure has been applied to choose the final solution. An example of a portfolio of IT projects was used for computations.
- ABBSAI G.Y., ARABIAT Y.A., A heuristic to maximize the net present value for resource-constrained project-scheduling problems, Project Management Journal, 2001, 32 (2), 17.
- ALCARAZ J., MAROTO C., A robust genetic algorithm for resource allocation in project scheduling, Annals of Operations Research, 2001, 102, 83–89.
- BARTUSCH M., MOHRING R.H., RADERMACHER F.J., Scheduling project networks with resource constraints and time windows, Annals of Operations Research, 1988, 16 (1–4), 201–240.
- BIANCO L., DELL’OLMO P., SPERANZA M.G., Heuristics for multimode scheduling problem with dedicated resources, European Journal of Operational Research, 1998, 107, 260–271.
- BRANDENBURG H., Project Management, Katowice University of Economics Publishing, Katowice 2002.
- BRILMAN J., Modern management methods, Polish Economics Publishing, Warsaw 2002.
- CARLIER J., CHRETIENNE P., Problemes d’ordonnancement, modelisation/complexite/algoritmes, Masson, Paris 1988.
- CHIU H.N., TAI D.M., An efficient search procedure for the resource-constrained multi-project scheduling problem with discounted cash flows, Construction Management and Economics, 2002, 20, 55–66.
- DOERSCH R.H., PATTERSON J.H., Scheduling a project to maximize its present value, a zero-one programming approach, Management Science, 1977, 23 (8), 882–889.
- GONCALVES J.F., MENDES J.J, RESENDE M.G.C., A genetic algorithm for the resource constrained multi-project scheduling problem, AT and T Labs, Technical Report TD-668 LM4, 2004.
- HANS E.W., HERROELEN W., LEUS R., WULLINK G., A hierarchical approach to multi-project planning under uncertainty, ScienceDirect, Omega, 2007, 35, 563–577.
- HAPKE M., JASZKIEWIECZ A., SŁOWINSKI R., Interactive analysis of multiple-criteria project scheduling problems, European Journal of Operational Research, 1998, 107, 315–324.
- HARTMANN A., A self-adapting genetic algorithm for project scheduling under resource constraints, Naval Research Logistics, 2002, 49, 433–448.
- HARTMANN S., A competitive genetic algorithm for resource-constrained project scheduling, Naval research logistics, 1998, 45 (7), 733–750.
- ICMEI O., ERENGUC S.S., ZAPPE C.J., Project scheduling problems. A survey, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 1993, 13 (11), 80–91.
- ICMELI O., ERENGUC S.S., A branch and bound procedure for the resource constrained project scheduling problem with discounted cash flows, Management Science, 1996, 42 (10), 1395–1408.
- JASZKIEWICZ A., SLOWINSKI R., The light beam approach – an overview of methodology and applications, European Journal of Operational Research, 1999, 113, 300–314.
- JÓZEFOWSKA J., MIKA M., RÓŻYCKI R., WALIGÓRA G., WĘGLARZ J., Simulated annealing for multimode resource-constrained project scheduling, Annals of Operations Research, 2001, 102 (1–4), 137–155.
- KIM J., ELLIS R.D., Robust global and local search approach to resource-constrained project scheduling, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 2009, 36 (3), 375–388.
- KOLISCH R., PADMAN R., An integrated survey of deterministic project scheduling, The International Journal of Management Science OMEGA, 2001, 29, 249–272.
- KRUGER D., SCHOLL A., A heuristic solution framework for the resource constrained multi-project scheduling problem with sequence-dependent transfer times, Working and discussion paper series, School of Economics and Business Administration, Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena 2007.
- KUMANAN S., JOSE G.J., RAJA K., Multi-project scheduling using an heuristic and a genetic algorithm, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2006, 31, 360–366.
- KURTULUS I., DAVIS E.W., Multi-project scheduling, categorization of heuristic rules performance, Management Science, 1982, 28 (2), 161–172.
- LEU S.S., YANG C.H., GA-based multicriteria optimal model for construction scheduling, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 1999, 125 (6), 420–427.
- LOVA A., MAROTO C., TORMOS P., A multicriteria heuristic method to improve resource allocation in multiproject scheduling, European Journal of Operational Research, 2000, 127, 408–424.
- Office of Government Commerce, Managing successfully projects with PRINCE2, The Stationery Office, 2009.
- OZDAMAR L., DUNDAR H., A flexible heuristic for a multi-mode capital constrained project scheduling problem with probabilistic cash inflows, Computers & Operations Research, 1997, 24 (12), 1187–1200.
- PINEDO M., Scheduling. Theory, Algorithms and Systems, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs 1995.
- RUSSELL R.A., Cash flows in networks, Management Science, 1970, 16 (5), 357–373.
- SHOUMAN M.A., IBRAHIM M.S., KHATER M., FORGANI A.A., Genetic algorithm constraint project scheduling, Alexandria Engineering Journal, 2006, 45, 3.
- STORK F., UETZ M., On the Representation of Resource Constraints in Project Scheduling, Institute Report 693/2000, Technische Universität Berlin, 2001.
- TALBOT T.B., Resource-constrained project scheduling with time-resource tradeoffs, the nonpreemptive, Management Science, 1982, 28, 10.
- TSAI D.M., CHIU H.N., Two heuristics for scheduling multiple projects with resource constraints, Construction Management and Economics, 1996, 14 (16), 325–400.
- TSENG C.C., Two heuristic algorithms for multi-mode resource-constrained multi-project scheduling problem, Journal of Science and Engineering Technology, 2008, 4 (2), 63–74.
- TURNER J.R., The Handbook of Project-Based Management. Leading Strategic Change in Organizations, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York 2009.
- VALLS V., QUINTIMA S., BALLLESTIN F., Resource-constrained project scheduling, a critical activity reordering heuristic, European Journal of Operational Research, 2003, 255, 282–301.
- VANHOUCKE M, DEMEULEMEESTER E, HERROELEN W., On maximizing the net present value of a project under renewable resource constraints, Management Science, 2001, 47, (8), 1113–1121.
- VIANA A., DE SOUSA J.P., Using metaheuristics in multiobjective resource constrained project scheduling, European Journal of Operational Research, 2000, 120, 359–374.
- YASSINE A., BROWNING T., Resource-constrained multi-project scheduling, priority rule performance revisited, Working Paper of Texas Christian University, Neeley School of Business, 2008.
- YASSINE A., MEIER C., BROWNING T., Multi-project scheduling using competent genetic algorithms, PDRL Working Paper, PDL, 2007, 1.
- ZITZLER E., LAUMANNS M.THIELE L., SPEA2 improving the strength Pareto evolutionary approach, Technical Report 103, Computer Engineering and Communication Networks Lab (TIK), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich 2001.
Publication order reference