Identity and Access Management System: a Web-Based Approach for an Enterprise
Languages of publication
Managing digital identities and access control for enterprise users and applications remains one of the greatest challenges facing computing today. An attempt to address this issue led to the proposed security paradigm called Identity and Access Management (IAM) service based on IAM standards. Current approaches such as Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), Central Authentication Service (CAS) and Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) lack comprehensive analysis from conception to physical implementation to incorporate these solutions thereby resulting in impractical and fractured solutions. In this paper, we have implemented Identity and Access Management System (IAMSys) using the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) which focuses on authentication, authorization, administration of identities and audit reporting. Its primary concern is verification of the identity of the entity and granting correct level of access for resources which are protected in either the cloud environment or on-premise systems. A phased approach methodology was used in the research where it requires any enterprise or organization willing to adopt this must carry out a careful planning and demonstrated a good understanding of the technologies involved. The results of the experimental evaluation indicated that the average rating score is 72.0 % for the participants involved in this study. This implies that the idea of IAMSys is a way to mitigating security challenges associated with authentication, authorization, data protection and accountability if properly deployed.
- Bresz, F., Renshaw, T., Jeffrey R., & Torpey, W. (2007, November). Identity and Access Management. Retrieved from https://chapters.theiia.org/montreal/ChapterDocuments/GTAG%209%20-%20Identity%20and%20Access%20Management.pdf
- Dragoş, M. M. (2012). Cloud Identity and Access Management– A model proposal. Accounting and Management Information Systems, 11(3), 484–500.
- Faraji, M., Kang, J.-M., Bannazadeh, H., & Leon-Garcia, A. (2014). Identity access management for Multi-tier cloud infrastructures. 2014 IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS). doi: 10.1109/noms.2014.6838229
- Indu, I., & Anand, P. M. R. (2015). Identity and access management for cloud web services. 2015 IEEE Recent Advances in Intelligent Computational Systems (RAICS). doi: 10.1109/raics.2015.7488450
- Indu, I., & Anand, P. M. R. (2016). Hybrid authentication and authorization model for web based applications. 2016 International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WiSPNET). doi: 10.1109/wispnet.2016.7566324
- Leandro, M. A., Tiago J., Daniel R. S., Carla M.W, & Carlos B. W. (2012). Multi-Tenancy Authorization System with Federated Identity for Cloud-Based Environment using Shibboleth. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257200931_Multi-Tenancy_Authorization_System_with_Federated_Identity_for_Cloud-Based_Environments_Using_Shibboleth
- Sharma, D. H., Dhote, C. A., & Potey, M. M. (2016). Identity and Access Management as Security-as-a-Service from Clouds. Procedia Computer Science, 79, 170–174. doi: 10.1016/j.procs.2016.03.117
- Singh, A., & Chatterjee, K. (2015). Identity Management in Cloud Computing through Claim-Based Solution. 2015 Fifth International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication Technologies. doi: 10.1109/acct.2015.89
- Sturrus, E., & Kulikova, O. (2016). Identity and Access Management. Encyclopedia of Cloud Computing, 396–405. doi: 10.1002/9781118821930.ch33
- Yang, Y., Chen, X., Wang, G., & Cao, L. (2014). An Identity and Access Management Architecture in Cloud. 2014 Seventh International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Design. doi: 10.1109/iscid.2014.221
- Younis, Y., Kifayat, K., & Merabti, M. (2014). An access control model for cloud computing. Journal of Information Security and Applications, 19(1), 45–60. doi: 10.1016/j.jisa.2014.04.003
Publication order reference