The Factors of Students’ Professional Self-Determination at Higher Education Institutions
Languages of publication
Professional life of a person under nowadays conditions is highly vigorous and chaotic. To choose a profession is a sophisticated process which is accompanied by doubts and stress. The attitude to the profession, the career understanding and the meaning of work changes under various factors. The influence of social factors, especially the specificity of the sociocultural conditions of life, interlacing in the complex of the psychological characteristics of the student (motives, experience etc.) is manifested in the peculiarities of his activity, behavior and interaction with others. Purpose of this article is to analyse the factors of students’ professional self-determination of higher education institutions. Methods of research: 1. Theoretical methods: analysis and generalization of scientific literature. 2. Empirical methods: for the study was used quantitative research method. Results. The questionnaire of students showed that social orientation largely determines professional self-determination of a person. Certain factors are important to choose a profession. They are divided into internal (health, vocation, ability, interests) and external (family, friends, career opportunities, the situation at the labor market, the various country and the world’s events). The most important elements for future profession for students were the possibility of employment and the salary. Health conditions are one of the most significant factors for students’ professional self-determination.
- Alekseyeva, L.N. (2004). Lichnostno-professional’noye stanovleniye i razvitiye cheloveka [Personal-professional formation and development of a man]. Arkhangel’sk: Pomorskiy universitet, 118 p. (In Russian).
- Arnold, J. (1997). Manageing Careers into the 21st Century. London: Paul Chapman Publishing.
- Augene Dalya, Bobrova Laymute, Chernyauskayte Egle (2014). Faktory, vliyayushchiye na professional’noye samoopredeleniye podrostkov iz semey sotsial’nogo riska [Factors of Vocational Decision of Teenagers from Disadvantaged Family]. Society and Economy of Post-Soviet Space, ISBN 978-5-4353-0094-9, Issue VIII, pp. 81-93. (In Russian).
- Augene Dalya, Bobrova Laymute, Drimbene Monika (2015). Vliyaniye roditeley na professional’noye samoopredeleniye uchashchikhsya: empiricheskoye issledovaniye mneniya roditeley [The Influence of Parents to Pupils‘ Professional Career Decission: the Empirical Research of Parents‘ Opinions]. Society and Economy of Post-Soviet Space, ISBN 978-5-9906325-4-7, Issue XII, pp. 36-45. (In Russian).
- Belousova, I.D. (2006). Didakticheskiye usloviya vnedreniya informatsionnykh tekhnologiy v protsess obucheniya studentov vuza [Didactic conditions of introduction of information technologies in the process of students’ teaching at higher educational institutionsf]. (The abstract of PhD Thesis). Magnitogorskiy GU. Magnitogorsk: Magnitogorskiy GU. 22 p. (In Russian).
- Berg, V. (1998). Kar’yera – superigra [Career – Super Game]. Moscow: AO Inter·ekspert, 272 p. (In Russian).
- Bočáková, O., Kubíčková, D. (2016). Secondary schools and institutions of higher learning graduates employability on the labour market. Journal of Modern Science. Vol. 2/29/2016, pp. 55–70.
- Bogdanova, O.V. (2001). Samosoznaniye kak faktor professional’nogo samoopredeleniya prakticheskogo psikhologa [Self-perception as a factor of professional self-determination of a practical psychologist]. (PhD Thesis). Moscow. 255 p. (In Russian).
- Brown, D. (2002). Career choice and development. San Francisko: Jossey-Bas., 535 p.
- Encyclopedia Princetoniensis: The Princeton Encyclopedia of Self-Determination. Retrieved (27.12.2017) from: https://pesd.princeton.edu.
- Klimov, E.A. (1993). Razvivayushchiysya chelovek v mire professiy [Developing person in the world of professions]. Moscow. 165 p. (In Russian).
- Klimov, E.A. (1995). Obraz mira v raznotipnykh professiyakh [Image of the world in various professions]. Moscow. 223 p. (In Russian).
- Klimov, E.A. (1996). Psikhologiya professional [Psychology of professional]. Moscow-Voronezh. 400 p. (In Russian).
- Klimov, E.A. (1996). Psikhologiya professional’nogo samoopredeleniya [Psychology of professional self-determination]. Rostov-na-Donu. 512 p. (In Russian).
- Klimov, E.A. (2004). Psikhologiya professional’nogo samoopredeleniya [Psychology of professional self-determination]. Moscow: Akademiya. 304 p. (In Russian).
- Markova, A.K. (1996). Psikhologiya professionalizma [Psychology of professionalism]. Moscow, 308 p. (In Russian).
- Maslow, A. (1970). Motivation and personality. Joanna Cotler Books; 2nd edition. 400 p.
- ProfGid. Retrieved (27.12.2017) from: https://www.profguide.ru/test/category/proforient (In Russian).
- Proshchitskaya, E.N. (1993). John Holland o vybore professii [John Holland about the choice of profession]. Shkola i proizvodstvo [School and production]. No.4, pp. 20-22. (In Russian).
- Pryazhnikov, N.S. (1991). Proforiyentatsionnyye igry: Problemnyye situatsii, zadachi, kartochnyye metodiki [Vocational guidance games: Problem situations, tasks, card techniques]. Moscow: Izdatelstvo MGU. 87 p. (In Russian).
- Pryazhnikov, N.S. (1996). Professional’noye i lichnostnoye samoopredeleniye [Professional and personal self-determination]. Moscow: Institut prakticheskoy psikhologii, Voronezh: NPO "MOD·EK". 246 p. (In Russian).
- Pryazhnikov, N.S. (1997). Psikhologicheskiy smysl truda [The psychological meaning of labor]. Moscow: Institut prakticheskoy psikhologii; Voronezh: NPO "MOD·EK". 352 p. (In Russian).
- Pryazhnikov, N.S. (1999). Teoriya i praktika professional’nogo samoopredeleniya [Theory and practice of professional self-determination]. Moscow: MGPPI, 108 p. (In Russian).
- Psikhologiya i psikhiatriya. Retrieved (27.12.2017) from: http://psihomed.com/professionalnoe-samoopredelenie/ (In Russian).
- Super, D. (1957). Vocational development: a framework of research.
- Trakšelys, K. (2016). Adults and old people learning opportunities: case of Lithuania. Journal of Modern Science. Vol. 1/28/2016, pp. 431–456.
- Yakimova, N.S. (2011). Profesiyne samoviznachennya i profesiyna oriyentatsiya molodi: suchasni tendentsiyi ta problem [Professional self-determination and professional orientation of youth: modern trends and problems]. Demografiya ta sotsial’na ekonomika. No. 1(15). Pp. 142-149. (In Ukrainian).
- Zeyer, E.F. (1998). Lichnostno-oriyentirovannoye professional’noye obrazovaniye [Personal-oriented vocational education]. Ekaterinburg. 264 p. (In Russian).
- Zeyer, E.F. (2003). Psikhologiya professiy [Psychology of professions]. Moscow: Akademicheskiy proyekt. 336 p. (In Russian).
- Zielicz, A. (2017). Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose – a basis for good practice in organising university courses. Journal of Modern Science. Vol. 1/32/2017, pp. 183–208.
Publication order reference