Gryficka służba zdrowia 1945–2012
The Health Service in Gryfice between 1945–2012
Languages of publication
In the post-war development of Gryfice a very important task was to organize the structures of health protection from scratch. Between 1945 and 1950 only a little group of workmanlike staff (four doctors and tens of nurses/midwives) could handle contagious diseases epidemic (mainly typhoid, tuberculosis and venereal diseases) connected with massive migration movements (repatriation), hygienic neglects and a low level of sanitary awareness. Between 1950 and 1985 a certain stabilization in medical personnel was accomplished, however with the use of pre-war facilities which did not meet the required standards. An organizational success was to give for the use in 1985 a modernized hospital complex with a diagnostic base and with specialized clinics of over-regional scope (for example West Pomeranian Center for Burns Treatment and Plastic Surgery, Intensive Care Unit, Neurosurgical Ward, Dialysis Unit, Detoxification Center). The number of specialized doctors rose immensely (over 100) and the number of support personnel increased as well (recruited from Medical High School in Gryfice). A propitious factor was to build a residential estate and a nursing hotel near the hospital. This thesis has also discussed sanitary services, development of pharmacies and social service outposts (especially two homes for seniors who require care and the Brother Albert Workhouse for the homeless).
Publication order reference