The importance of occupational safety and health in management systems in the construction industry: case study of construction in Hermosillo
Languages of publication
Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) are concepts not fully integrated into management systems in the construction industry. This article shows the results of a research study conducted in two construction sites in the city of Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico. The objective of this research is to identify and evaluate occupational risks in their activities. As a result, it is intended to demonstrate the importance of including occupational health practice into the management systems and potentially prevent, reduce and / or eliminate occupational risks and hazards in construction activities of buildings. Case study was used as a methodological design. Integrating OSH practices in management systems will facilitate construction industry move toward sustainability patterns and consequently increase the quality of life of its workers.
- Abudayyeh O., Fredericks T.K., Butt S. E., Shaar A. (2006), An investigation of management’s commitment to construction safety, “Int. J. Proj. Manage”, vol. 24 no. 2, pp. 167–174.
- Auld M., Herber J., Gordon D., Mcclintock D. (2001), The efficacy of construction site safety inspection, “Journal of Labor Economics”, vol. 19 no. 4, p. 900.
- Baxendale T., Jones O. (2000), Construction design and management safety regulations in practice - progress on implementation, “International Journal of Project Management”, vol. 18, pp. 33–40.
- Beheiry S.M.A., Chong W.K., Haas C.T. (2006), Examining the business impact of owner commitment tosustainability, “Journal of Construction Engineering and Management”, vol. 132 no. 4, pp. 384–92.
- Bilec M., Ries R., Matthews, H.S. (2007), Sustainable development and green design - who is leading the green initiative?, “Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice”, vol. 133 no. 4, pp. 265–9.
- BLS - U.S. Bureau of labor statistics (2002), Survey of occupational injury and illness. http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshsum.htm [10/12/2013].
- BLS - U.S. Bureau of labor statistics (2008), Workplace injuries and illnesses in 2007, http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/osh/os/osnr0030.pdf [10/12/2013].
- Bordass B., Leaman A., Ruyssevelt P. (2001), Assessing building performance in use 5: conclusions and implications, “Building Research & Information, vol. 29 no. 2, pp. 144–57.
- Bourdeau L. (1999), Sustainable development and the future of construction: a comparison of visions from various countries, “Building Research & Information, vol. 27 no. 6, pp. 354–66.
- Cameron J., Hare B. (2008), Planning tools for integrating health and safety in construction, “Construction Management & Economics, vol. 26 no. 9, pp. 899-909.
- Ceylan H. (2012), Analysis of occupational accidents according to the sectors in turkey, “Gazi University Journal of Science, vol. 25 no. 4, pp. 909-918.
- CIRIA (1997), Experiences of CDM, Ciria report 171, Ciria, London.
- Cole R.J. (2000), Building environmental assessment methods: assessing construction practices, “Construction Management and Economics, vol. 18, pp. 949–57.
- Dewlaney K., Hallowell M. (2012), Prevention through design and construction safety management strategies for high performance sustainable building construction, “Construction Management & Economics”, vol. 30 no. 2, pp. 165-177.
- Du Plessis C. (2002), Agenda 21 for sustainable construction in developing countries: a discussion document, Report for cib and unep–ietc.
- Hämäläinen P., Takala J., Saarela K.J. (2005), Global estimates of occupational accidents, “Safety Science” vol. 44, pp. 137–156.
- Hassanein A., Afify H. (2007), Contractors' perceptions of construction risks--a case study of power station projects in Egypt, “Cost Engineering, vol. 49 no. 5, pp. 25-34.
- Hinze J. (2000), Designing for the lifecycle safety of facilities, in: Proceedings of the designing for safety and health conference, European Construction Institute, London, pp. 121-127.
- Hinze J. (1997), Construction safety, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Hinze J., Pederson C., Fredey J. (1998), Identify root causes of construction injuries, “Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 1, pp. 67-71.
- HSE (2013), HSE statistics website, number and rate of fatal injury to workers, 1993/94 - 2012/13, http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/fatals.htm [16/1/2014].
- Huang X., Hinze J. (2003), Analysis of construction worker fall accidents, “Journal of Construction Engineering and Management”, vol. 129 no. 3, pp. 262-271.
- ILO code of practice (1996), Recording and notification of occupational accidents and diseases, International Labour Office, Geneva.
- Instituto Mexicano de Seguridad Social (IMSS) (2006), Información estadística en salud (Health statistics), http://www.imss.gob.mx/dpm/dties/indice.aspx [30/12/2013].
- Kheni N., Gibb A., Dainty A. (2010), Health and safety management within small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in developing countries: study of contextual influences, “Journal of Construction Engineering & Management, vol. 136 no. 10, pp. 1104-1115.
- Landman M. (1999), Breaking through the barriers to sustainable building: insights from professionals on government initiatives to promote environmentally sound practices, MA thesis, Tufts University, USA.
- Leung M., Chan Y., Yu J. (2009), Integrated model for the stressors and stresses of construction project managers in Hong Kong, Journal of Construction Engineering & Management, vol. 135 no. 2, pp. 126-134.
- Linstroth T. (2012), Sustainability as the new safety, “Environmental Design & Construction”, vol. 15 no. 6, p. 30.
- Loosemore M., Dainty A., Lingard H. (2003), Human resource management in construction projects: strategic and operational approaches, Routledge.
- Lopez-Varcarcel A. (1996), Seguridad y salud en el trabajo en el marco de la globalización de la economía (Safety and health at work in the context of globalization of the economy), Ministry of Labour and Social Security of Spain, regional project safety and health at work in the processes of integration and globalization, Working paper 26, OIT.
- Malek D., El-Safty A., Sorce J. (2010), The correlation between safety practices in construction and occupational health 2010, “Management Science Engineering”, vol. 4 no. 3, pp. 1-9.
- Matar M., Georgy M., Ibrahim M. (2008), Sustainable construction management: introduction of the operational context space (OCS), Construction Management & Economics, vol. 26 no. 3, pp. 261-275.
- Matar M.M., Georgy M.E., Ibrahim M.E. (2004), Towards a more applicable set of sustainable construction practices, in: International conference: future vision and challenges for urban development, HBRC, Cairo, Egypt, pp. 1-12.
- OECD nuclear energy agency (NEA) (1999), The role of the nuclear regulator in promoting and evaluating safety culture, http://www.oecd-nea.org/nsd/reports/nea1547-murley.pdf [9/12/2013].
- OSHA – Occupational safety and health administration, (2009), Occupational safety and health act of 1970.
- Pearce A.R., Vanegas J.A. (2002), A parametric review of the built environment sustainability literature,“International Journal of Environmental Technology and Management, vol. 2 nos. 1-3, pp. 54–93.
- Rajendran S., Gambatese J. (2009), Development and initial validation of sustainable construction safety and health rating system, “Journal of Construction Engineering & Management, vol. 135 no. 10, pp. 1067-1075.
- Roto P., Lappalainen J., Oksa P. (1993), Talonrankennustyöt. Suomalaiset työssä ii: työympäristö ja työterveys eri toimialoilla ja ammateissa, “Työ Ja Ihminen, vol. 3, pp. 91-104.
- RRG (Reed research group) (2003), Where our readers stand on sustainability, “Building Design and Construction, vol. 11, 14–17.
- Rubio M., Menendez A., Rubio J., Martínez G. (2005), Obligations and responsibilities of civil engineers for the prevention of labor risks: references to European regulations, “Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education & Practice, vol. 131 no. 1, pp. 70-75.
- Sartori I., Hestnes A.G. (2007), Energy use in the life cycle of conventional and low-energy buildings: a review article, “Energy and Buildings”, vol. 39 no. 3, pp. 249–57.
- Scheuer C.W., Keoleian G.A. (2002), Evaluation of LEED using life cycle assessment methods, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Secretaria del Trabajo y Previsión Social (S.T.P.S), (2010), Información sobre accidentes y enfermedades de trabajo. Riesgos laborales por grupo de actividad económica 2010 nacional (Information on accidents and illnesses. Occupational risk per group of national economic activity 2010), www.stps.gob.mx/bp/secciones/dgsst/estadisticas/nacional%202001-2010.pdf [4/11/2013].
- Shahbodaghlou F., Haven R. (2000), A model for a quality safety program, “Journal of Construction Education”, vol. 5 no. 3, pp. 260-271.
- Shen l. Y., Wu Y.Z., Chan E.H.W., Hao J. L. (2005), Application of system dynamics for assessment of sustainable performance of construction projects, “Journal of Zhejiang University Science, vol. 6a no. 4, pp.339–349
- Shi Q., Zuo J., Zillante G. (2012), Exploring the management of sustainable construction at the programme level: aChinese case study, “Construction Management & Economics, vol. 30 no. 6, pp. 425-440
- Spath J. (2004), How to get employees involved in the safety program, “Occupational Hazards”, vol. 66 no. 9, pp. 63-66.
- Suraji A., Duff A.R., Peckitt S. J. (2001), Development of causal model of construction accident causation, “Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 127 no. 4, pp. 337-344.
- Tiwary G., Gangopadhyay P. (2011), A review on the occupational health and social security of unorganized workers in the construction industry, “Indian Journal of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, vol. 15 no. 1, pp. 18-24.
- Toole T.M. (2002), A comparison of site safety policies of construction industry trade groups, “Pract. Period. Struct. Des. Constr.”, vol. 7 no. 2, pp. 90–95.
- Towse B., (2008), Safety is key to sustainability, “Heating & Ventilating Review”, July.
- Vasconcelos B.M., Barkokébas B. (2008), Prevention of accidents through design: recommendations for the control of fall risk in construction, Brazil.
- Wu P., Low S.P. (2010), Project management and green buildings: lessons from the rating systems, “Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice”, vol. 136 no. 2, pp. 61–70.
Publication order reference
2353 - 9119