SILENCE AND THE AUDIBILITY OF THE WORD: CONTEMPLATIVE LISTENING AS A FUNDAMENTAL ACT OF THE NEW EVANGELIZATION. PART 1: AN ANTHROPOLOGY OF LISTENING
Languages of publication
In part one of her arguing for contemplative listening as a fundamental act of the new evangelization, the author explicates the anthropological dimension of listening. Her analysis consists of four sections. Section one explains silence in terms of listening, for it is attentive perception to the presence of another, which can be described as love in the form of an obedient readiness to receive the other; listening, however, is more than two people actively willing to communicate: it is primarily an ontological reality that constitutes the human person as such. Section two claims that listening illustrates the nature of the person before it describes any action that one does; it relies upon Hans Urs von Balthasar’s analysis of the dialogue philosophers in his Theo-logic II: Truth of God. Section three considers Augustine’s notion of the internal word, which is a judgment that conforms to the Word (Jesus Christ); the author argues that to be in conformity with the Word indicates that the person fulfills himself as a word spoken by God in the Word, which suggests that listening constitutes the ontology of the human person. Section four shows that the human person’s natural desire for God postulates his obedient readiness to hear the Word Incarnate.
- Aquinas, Thomas. Commentary on the Gospel of St. John, Part I. Aquinas Scripture Series. Vol. 4. Trans. James A. Weisheipl with Fabian R. Larcher. Albany, NY: Magi Books, Inc., 1980.
- Augustine. Confessions. Trans. R. S. Pine-Coffin. New York: Viking Penguin Inc., 1985.
- Augustine. On Christian Doctrine. Trans. D. W. Robertson, Jr. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1958.
- Augustine. The Trinity. Trans. Edmund Hill, O.P. Ed. John E. Rotelle, O.S.A. Brooklyn: New City Press, 1991.
- Augustine. “Tractates on the Gospel of John 1-10.” In Fathers of the Church. Vol. 78. Trans. John W. Rettig. Washington, D.C: Catholic University of America Press, 1988.
- Guardini, Romano. Preparing Yourself for Mass. Manchester, NH: Sophia Institute Press, 1997.
- Hanby, Michael. Augustine and Modernity. Radical Orthodoxy Series. New York: Routledge, 2003.
- John Paul II. Novo Millennio Ineunte. Boston: Pauline Books and Media, 2001.
- John Paul II. Rosarium Virginis Mariae. Boston: Pauline Books and Media, 2002).
- John Paul II. Ecclesia de Eucharistia. Boston: Pauline Books and Media, 2003.
- Novum Testamentum Graece. Ed. Eberhard and Erwin Nestle, with Barbara and Kurt Aland. Stuttgart, Germany: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 1999.
- Picard, Max. The World of Silence. Trans. Stanley Godman. South Bend, IN: Gateway Editions, Ltd., 1952.
- Pieper, Josef. Abuse of Language-Abuse of Power. Trans. Lothar Krauth. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1992.
- Ratzinger, Joseph. Introduction to Christianity. Trans. J. R. Foster. San Francisco: Ignatius Press. 1990.
- Ratzinger, Joseph. “The Holy Spirit as Communio: Concerning the Relationship of Pneumatology and Spirituality in Augustine.” Communio: International Catholic Review 25:2 (Summer, 1998): 324–339.
- Ratzinger, Joseph. The Nature and Mission of Theology: Essays to Orient Theology in Today’s Debates. Trans. Adrian Walker. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1995.
- Rosenzweig, Franz. On Jewish Learning. Ed. Nahum N. Glatzer. Trans. William Wolf. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 2002.
- Rosenzweig, Franz. Philosophical and Theological Writings. Trans. Paul W. Franks and Michael Morgan. Indianapolis: Hacket Publishing Co., Inc., 2000.
- Sacrosanctum Oecumenicum Concilium Vaticanum II: Constitutiones Decreta Declarationes. Citta Del Vaticano: Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 1993.
- The Basic Works of Aristotle. Ed. Richard McKeon. New York: Random House, Inc., 1941.
- The Christian Faith: Doctrinal Documents of the Catholic Church. Ed. J. Neuner, S.J., and J. Dupuis, S.J. New York: Alba House, 1990.
- Therese de l’Enfant-Jesus et de la Sainte-Face. Histoire d’une ame: manuscrits autobiographiques. Editions du Cerf et Desclee De Brouwer, 1972.
- von Balthasar, Hans Urs. The Theology of Karl Barth: Exposition and Interpretation. Trans. Edward T. Oakes, S.J. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1992.
- von Balthasar, Hans Urs. Theo-logic II: Truth of God. Trans. Adrian J. Walker. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2004.
Publication order reference