Multi-Criteria Decision Aiding in Project Management - Outranking Approach and Verbal Decision Analysis
Languages of publication
Two different approaches were implemented to aid the process of selecting the best variant of road construction, namely approach based on the outranking relation and verbal decision analysis. Out of wide range of outranking methods three very well known were applied: ELECTRE Iv, PROMETHEE I and PROMETHEE II. In the case of VDA UniComBOS was used. The results obtained with different methods were not identical, nevertheless it was possible to identify variant worth recommendation, i.e. variant 2 a , which was always on one of two first places in rankings, regardless of the method that was used. On the other hand, variant 5 a was found to be the worst solution - its weakness was confirmed by all methods. The analysis conducted in the article proved that both described approaches can be used for solving the decision-making problems connected with project management. Although both of them have some disadvantages, as for example necessity to interact with decision-maker in order to determine values of parameters in the case of outranking methods and time-consuming as well as tiring comparisons in the case of VDA, they can improve the decision-making processes and help project managers to make more reasonable decisions. As a matter of fact, because of the differences between them, they can complement each other. Therefore it would be practical and beneficial to employ them simultaneously in all cases when it is merely possible and feasible.
- Ahmad N., Laplante P.A. (2006), Software Project Management Tools: Making a Practical Decision Using AHP, "Proceedings of the 30th Annual IEEE/NASA Software Engineering Workshop", 76-84.
- Ashikhmin I., Furems E. (2005), UniComBOS - Intelligent Decision Support System for Multi-criteria Comparison and Choice. "Journal of Multi-criteria Decision Analysis", 13, 147-157.
- Biruk S., Jaworski K.M., Tokarski Z. (2007), Podstawy organizacji robót drogowych. Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, Warszawa, 11-12, 217-218.
- Brans J.P., Mareschal B. (2005), PROMETHEE Methods, in: Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis: State of the Art Surveys. Eds. J. Figueira, S. Greco, M. Ehrgott. Springer, New York.
- Brans J.P., Vincke Ph. (1985), A Preference Ranking Organization Method: The PROMETHEE Method for Multiple Criteria Decision-Making. "Management Science", 31, 647-656.
- Brans J.P., Vincke Ph., Mareschal B. (1986), How to select and how to rank projects: The PROMETHEE method. "European Journal of Operational Research", 24, 228-238.
- Figueira J., Mousseau V., Roy B. (2005). ELECTRE Methods, in: Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis: State of the Art Surveys. Eds. J. Figueira, S. Greco, M. Ehrgott. Springer, New York.
- Fishburn P.C. (1979), Utility Theory for Decision Making. Krieger Publishing Company, New York.
- Furems E., Ashikhmin I. (2004), UniComBOS - Intellectual Decision Support System for Multi-criteria Comparison and Choice. MCDM, Whistler, British Columbia, Canada.
- Furems E.M., Larichev O.I., Roizenson G.V., Lotov A.V., Miettinen K. (2003), Human behavior in a multi-criteria choice problem with individual tasks of different difficulties. "International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making", 2(1), 29-40.
- Górecka D. (2011), On the choice of method in multi-criteria decision aiding process concerning European projects, in: Multiple Criteria Decision Making '10-11, Eds. T. Trzaskalik, T. Wachowicz. Publisher of The Karol Adamiecki University of Economics in Katowice, Katowice, 81-103.
- Keeney R.L., Raiffa H. (1976), Decisions with Multiple Objectives: Preferences and Value Tradeoffs. Wiley, New York.
- Korhonen P., Larichev O., Moshkovich H., Mechitov A., Wallenius J. (1997), Choice behavior in a computer-aided multiattribute decision task. "Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis", 6, 233-246.
- Larichev O.I. (1992), Cognitive validity in design of decision-aiding technique. "Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis", 1(3), 127-138.
- Larichev O.I. (2001a), Method ZAPROS for Multicriteria Alternatives Ranking and the Problem of Incomparability. "Informatica", 12, 89-100.
- Larichev O.I. (2001b), Ranking multicriteria alternatives: the method ZAPROS III. "European Journal of Operational Research", 131, 550-558.
- Larichev O.I., Moshkovich H.M. (1995), ZAPROS-LM - A method and system for ordering multiattribute alternatives. "European Journal of Operational Research", 82, 503-521.
- Larichev O.I., Moshkovich H.M. (1997), Verbal Decision Analysis for Unstructured Problems. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Berlin.
- Ling Y.Y. (2003), A conceptual model for selection of architects by project managers in Singapore. "International Journal of Project Management", 21, 135-144.
- Marques G., Gourc D., Lauras M. (2010), Multi-criteria performance analysis for decision making in project management. "International Journal of Project Management", 29, 1057-1069.
- Martel J.M. (1998), Multicriterion Analysis under Uncertainty: the Approach of Outranking Synthesis, in: Modelowanie preferencji a ryzyko '98. Ed. T. Trzaskalik. Akademia Ekonomiczna w Katowicach, Katowice.
- Metody wielokryterialne na polskim rynku finansowym. (2006), Ed. T. Trzaskalik. PWE, Warszawa.
- Montgomery H.,. Svenson O. (1989), A think-aloud study of dominance structuring in decision processes, in: Process and Structure on Human Decision Making. Eds. H. Montgomery, O. Svenson. Wiley, Chichester, 135-150.
- Moshkovich H.M., Mechitov A.I., Olson D.L. (2002), Ordinal judgments in multiattribute decision analysis. "European Journal of Operational Research", 137, 625-641.
- Moshkovich H.M., Mechitov A.I., Olson D.L. (2005), Verbal Decision Analysis, in: Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis: State of the Art Surveys. Eds. J. Figueira, S. Greco, M. Ehrgott. Springer, New York.
- Moshkovich H.M., Schellenberger R., Olson D.L. (1998), Data influences the result more than preferences: Some lessons from implementation of multiattribute techniques in a real decision task. "Decision Support Systems", 22, 73-84.
- Mota C.M.M., De Almeida A.T., Alencar L.H. (2009), A multiple criteria decision model for assigning priorities to activities in project management. "International Journal of Project Management", 27, 175-181.
- Payne J.W., Bettman J.R., Coupey E., Johnson E.J. (1993), A constructive process view of decision making: multiple strategies in judgment and choice, in: Current Themes in Psychological Decision Research. Eds. O. Huber, J.Mumpower, J. van der Pligt, P. Koele. North Holland, Amsterdam, 107-142.
- Pirdashti M., Ghadi A., Mohammadi M., Shojatalab G. (2009), Multi-Criteria Decision- Making Selection Model with Application to Chemical Engineering Management Decisions. "International Journal of Human and Social Sciences", 4:15, 1148-1153.
- PMBOK Guide- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge. Project Management Institute, 2008.
- Roy B. (1990), Wielokryterialne wspomaganie decyzji. Wydawnictwa Naukowo- Techniczne, Warszawa.
- Roy B., Bouyssou D. (1993), Aide Multicritere a la Decision: Methodes et Cas. Economica, Paris.
- Russo J.E., Rosen L.D. (1975), An eye fixation analysis of multiattribute choice. "Memory and Cognition", 3, 267-276.
- Trzaskalik T., Trzpiot G., Zaraś K. (1998), Modelowanie preferencji z wykorzystaniem dominacji stochastycznych. Akademia Ekonomiczna w Katowicach, Katowice.
- Vidal L-A., Marle F., Bocquet J-C (2011), Measuring project complexity using the Analytic Hierarchy Process. "International Journal of Project Management", 29, 718-727.
- Vincke Ph. (1992), Multicriteria Decision-Aid. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
Publication order reference