Basic assumptions for introducing circular solutions in the buildings sector
Languages of publication
Traditional, linear business models are one of key reasons for unsustainable development, including overuse of non-renewable resources and energy, as well as waste over-generation. An answer to these problems is a circular economy aimed at improving resource- and energy-efficiency in each phase of a product’s (service’s) lifecycle. The main aim of this paper is to examine, what can be considered a circular product in the buildings sector and what kind of circular products and / or services could be potentially introduced by consulting companies operating inter alia in the buildings sector. First two sections provide a general theoretical background for the concept of a circular economy, a circular product and circular business models. Then, main aspects of introducing an approach based on a circular economy in the buildings sector are elaborated, focusing on key features of circular buildings and solutions which are or can be implemented in different phases of a building’s lifecycle. Based on main features of introducing a circular economy in the buildings sector, leading tasks of consulting companies involved in sustainable solutions are presented. In conclusion it is stated that there are many solutions enabling construction of (more) circular buildings, at least in terms of a “better” circularity in one or more phases of a building’s lifecycle, but still a complex and system approach is needed in the whole sector and among all actors. For this reason, consulting companies can play a specific role in this field, by the way of raising awareness, developing knowledge, skills and capabilities, creating and showing values and benefits to different actors, developing networks etc.
- ABN AMRO (2014), Circular construction. The foundation under a renewed sector, http://www.circleeconomy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Circular-Construction-The-foundation-under-a-renewed-sector.pdf [14.10.2015].
- Accenture (2014), Circular Advantage. Innovative Business Models and Technologies to Create Value in a World without Limits to Growth, https://www.accenture.com/us-en/insight-circular-advantage-innovative-business-modelsvalue-growth.aspx [6.10.2015].
- Benli A. et al. (2015), Circular Economy Model Office Guide. The what, why and how of designing out waste in office refurbishments and builds, http://sustainable.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Circular-Economy-ModelOffice-Guide.pdf [7.10.2015].
- CasaVersa (2015), CasaVersa – a company offering home exchange when traveling, www.casaversa.com [12.10.2016].
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions “Towards a circular economy: A zero waste programme for Europe” [COM(2014) 398 final/2].
- ECORYS, Copenhagen Research Institute (2014), Resource efficiency in the building sector. Final report, DG Environment, http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eussd/pdf/Resource%20efficiency%20in%20the%20building%20 sector.pdf [8.10.2015].
- Edge Environment Pty Ltd (2011), Construction and demolition waste guide – recycling and re-use across the supply chain, Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, Australian Government, https://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/resources/b0ac5ce4-4253-4d2b-b001-0becf84b52b8/files/case-studies.pdf [14.10.2015].
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation (2012), Towards the Circular Economy Vol. 1: an economic and business rationale for an accelerated transition, http://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/publications [30.09.2015).
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation (2013), ENGINEERING THE CIRCULAR ECONOMY. A field manual for redesigning a regenerative economy. DESIGN FOR REMANUFACTURE, https://assets.documentcloud.org/ documents/1020644/emf-engineering-the-circular-economy-071113.pdf [6.10.2015].
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation (2015), Growth within: a circular economy vision for a competitive Europe, http://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/publications [30.09.2015].
- EPA (2009), Recover Your Resources. Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle Construction and Demolition Materials at Land Revitalization Projects, United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Office of Solid Waste and Emergency, http://archive.epa.gov/greenbuilding/web/pdf/cdbrochure.pdf [10.10.2015].
- European Commission (2015), Circular Economy Strategy, http://ec.europa.eu/environment/circulareconomy/index_en.htm [13.03.2016].
- European Union (2014), Scoping study to identify potential circular economy actions, priority sectors, material flows and value chains, http://bookshop.europa.eu/en/scoping-study-to-identify-potential-circular-economy-actionspriority-sectors-material-flows-and-value-chains-pbKH0114775/?CatalogCategoryID=h2YKABstrXcAAAEjXJEY 4e5L [4.10.2015].
- Finpro (2007), Sustainable communities and green buildings in The Netherlands, https://www.tekes.fi/globalassets/global/ohjelmat-ja-palvelut/paattyneet-ohjelmat/yhdyskunta/finpro_holland.pdf [10.10.2015].
- IMSA Amsterdam (2013), Unleashing the Power of the Circular Economy, https://www.viawater.nl/files/unleashing_the_power_of_the_circular_economy-circle_economy.pdf [15.04.2016].
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance (2006), Finding Value in Recovered Building Materials. Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=18&objID=505588&mode=2 [10.10.2015].
- PwC (2015), The Sharing Economy. Consumer Intelligence Series. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, http://www.pwc.com/us/en/industry/entertainment-media/publications/consumer-intelligence-series/assets/pwc-cissharing-economy.pdf [14.10.2015].
- RAP (2011), Residential Efficiency Retrofits: A Roadmap for the Future, http://www.raponline.org/docs/RAP_Neme_ResidentialEfficiencyRetrofits_2011_05.pdf [12.10.2015].
- REGUS (2015), REGUS – a company offering shared offices, www.regus.nl [12.10.2016].
- ROCKWOLL Group (2015), http://www.rockwool.com/products+-c12-+solutions/rockwool+building+insulation [10.10.2015].
- Sevenson B. (2015), Shanghai-based WinSun 3D Prints 6-Story Apartment Building and an Incredible Home, https://3dprint.com/38144/3d-printed-apartment-building/ [10.10.2015].
- The People Who Share. Desk Rental: The shared economy in the workplace, http://www.thepeoplewhoshare.com/blog/desk-rental-the-shared-economy-in-the-workplace/ [10.10.2015].
- WRAP (2009), Good practice in construction and demolition materials recovery facilities, http://www2.wrap.org.uk/downloads/Good_practice_in_construction_and_demolition_materials_recovery_facilities1.ba491b25.8324.pdf[10.10.2015].
- WRAP (2015), WRAP and the circular economy, http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/wrap-and-circular-economy [5.10.2015].
Publication order reference
2353 - 9119