“Our flame, the will-o’-the-wisp that dances in a few eyes, is soon to be blown out and all will fade” – Modern Literary Nostalgia as Death Mood
4th International Interdisciplinary Memory Conference “Memory, Melancholy and Nostalgia” (17-18 Semptember, 2015 in Gdansk)
Languages of publication
This article argues that there is a difference between nostalgic emotion and nostalgic mood and that the latter one often is a result of nostalgia’s inevitable link to death, entropy and teleology. It examines how nostalgic tropes, such as ruins, childhood, youth, astronomical representations, and subjective time (duration), inherited from the romantic poetry function as, and create, nostalgic death moods and retardations of eschatology in modernist fiction.
- Ackerley, Chris and Lawrence J. Clipper. 1984. A Companion to Under the Volcano. Vancouver: University of British Colombia Press.
- Barrie, J. M. 2007. Peter Pan and Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens. Ware: Wordsworth Editions Limited. Original edition, 1922, 1902.
- Colley, Ann C. 1998. Nostalgia and Recollection in Victorian Culture. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Fitzgerald, F. Scott. 1955. Tender is the Night. London: Penguin Books. Original edition, 1934.
- Fitzgerald, F. Scott, and James L. W. West. 2007. All the Sad Young Men. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Original edition, 1926.
- Freud, Sigmund. 1955. Beyond the Pleasure Principle, Group Psychology, and Other Works. James Strachey, Anna Freud, Alix Strachey and Alan Tyson, transl. London: Hogarth Press.
- Hart, James G. 1973. "Toward a Phenomenology of Nostalgia." Man and World: An International Philosophical Review 6 (4):397-420.
- Hutcheon, Linda. 2000. "Irony, Nostalgia, and the Postmodern." Methods for the Study of Literature as Cultural Memory, Studies in Comparative Literature 30:189-207.
- Lowry, Malcolm. 1963. Under the Volcano. Middlesex: Penguin Books. Original edition, 1947.
- Sampson, Fay. 2000. "Childhood and Twentieth-Century Children’s Literature." In Childhood Studies: A Reader in Perspectives of Childhood, edited by Jean Mills and Richard W. Mills, 61-76. New York: Routledge.
- Santesso, Aaron. 2006. A Careful Longing: The Poetics and Problems of Nostalgia. Newark, N.J.: University of Delaware Press.
- Thayer, Robert E. 1989. The Biopsychology of Mood and Arousal. New York ; Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Woolf, Virginia. 2000. The Waves. Hertfordshire: Wordsworth Editions Limited. Original edition, 1931.
Publication order reference