Rzeźby z kolekcji von Rose w Dohlau, III (Trzecia wizyta W Dylewie: wykopaliska)
SCULPTURES FROM VON ROSE’S SCULPTURE COLLECTION IN DOHLAU, III (THE THIRD VISIT IN DYLEWO; EXCAVATIONS)
Languages of publication
Tis article is the continuation of two other pieces published in “Swiatowit” and touching upon the history of the study of the Rose family’s art collection gathered in Dylewo near Ostróda (former Dohlau, Kr. Osterode, Ostpreussen). The two previous articles focused on archeological survey carried out in the ruined estate (the manor house, the surrounding park designed by a great landscape architect - Johann LaraE, the manor farm being one of the most advanced/innovative and successful farms in East Prussia). During two visits archeologists took photos of the remains of park architecture, as well as of a few sculptures carved by a great Milanese artist Adolfo Wildt. These elements of the historical landscape belong to the large art collection gathered in the estate by its owner of that time - Franz Rose. Contemporary residents of Dylewo shed light on the history of von Rose’s estate since the second world war until the 90s of 20th century. Because of warfare and the course of history until the 90s, the collection, left here in 1945, turned out to be vastly damaged and dispersed. Thanks to the residents accounts it was also possible to retrieve many fragments of marble sculptures deposited in one of the buildings which used to be a part of the manor farm. Basing on the archival sources bestowed on the scholars by their owners - Sibylla Friedberg (the daughter of the last owner of Dohlau) and Alina Kalczyńska- -Scheiwiller (the wife of Adolfo Wildt’s grandson) - it was possible to complete the knowledge of the art collection, and to recreate the image of the estate landscaping in the 40s of the last century. The new iconographic resource enabled the continuation of the study on the post-war history of von Roses’s estate, what in turn, led to discovering of other sculptures of Dylewo collection, deposited in museum stores of Warmia and Masuria Museum in Olsztyn (Muzeum Warmii i Mazur) and the National Museum in Warsaw (Muzeum Narodowe). The knowledge of the collection gained through the research inspired the scholars to perform archeological excavation on the estate grounds. Carried out in 2002 and lasting six weeks field work revealed significant findings, including pieces from von Rose’s collection. The artifacts (as catalogued in the article) have been divided into following categories: - fragments of Adolfo Wildt’s marble sculptures, the vast number of which are portraits of Rose family and friends, who at the same time were Rose scholarship holders, - marble sculptures being copies of antique works of art (arguably carved by Wildt), - fragments of marble sculptures of an uncertain author- ship (possibly works of F. Schaper and A. Tondeur). Moreover, the article lists bronze copies of antique sculptures and coins gathered during the excavation. The list of Wildt’s sculptures unearthed during the field work and preserved in Dylewo estate concludes the article (all artifacts were brought to the National Museum in Warsaw and the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw (Akademia Sztuk Pięknych) for conservation purposes); the total of Wildt’s artistic work from 1884 to 1913 outlines the background for his sculptures in Dylewo (Table 1). The early artistic works of the Dohlau sculptor are described in the extensive monograph “Młody Wildt. Twórczość artysty w świetle mecenatu von Rose” (“Young Wildt. The artist’s work under von Rose’s patronage”), which, hopefully, will be published in the near future.
Publication order reference