Processes in Transborder Areas – Significant Impact on the Economic Growth
Languages of publication
Dynamics and interdependence of socio-economic phenomena in the contemporary world require the appropriate instruments to be developed to monitor them. This becomes especially evident in the case of transborder areas, which are differentiated in terms of the socio-economic potentials, on the one hand, along with a growing gap in the data system for transborder areas, on the other. Therefore, it seems to be essential (especially in countries in transition) to create a coherent research system that collects, processes and disseminates information for such areas. Recognizing these needs, the Polish official statistics has initiated works towards establishing a suitable infrastructure. The results of this research (based on household surveys, border traffic surveys, entrepreneurship surveys, etc.) have shown, rather unexpectedly, that estimates of some items in Balance of Payment (BoP) are being changed. Consequently, they should be taken into account in the calculation of Gross Domestic Product (GDP), as discussed in this article.
- CIERPIAŁ-WOLAN, M., (2008). Cross-Border Surveys – Some Methodological Aspects, Statistics in Transition new series, Warsaw, Vol. 9, No. 2, 361–366.
- CIERPIAŁ-WOLAN, M., (2009). The measures of adaptability in Poland’s system of official statistics under crisis, Statistics in Transition new series, Warsaw, Vol. 10, No. 1, 163–170.
- CIERPIAŁ-WOLAN, M., (2011). Directions for development of transborder areas – state and prospects, Statistics in Transition new series, Warsaw, Vol.12, No. 3, 537–545.
- CIERPIAŁ-WOLAN, M., LIBERDA, Z. B., ŁAGODZIŃSKI, W. W., (2010). Combining of Survey and Administrative Data for Cross-Border Areas, IARIW 31st General Conference, Switzerland.
- CIERPIAŁ-WOLAN, M., WOJNAR, E., (2013). Statistical surveying of border traffic and movement of goods and services, [in:] Trans-Border Economies - New Challenges of Regional Development in Democratic World, Edited by Cierpiał-Wolan M., Oleński J., Wierzbieniec W., Jarosław, 99–108.
- KISH, L., (1991). A taxonomy of elusive populations, Journal of Official Statistics, 7.
- Metodologia badania budżetów gospodarstw domowych. Zeszyt metodologiczny zaopiniowany przez Komisję Metodologiczną GUS, (2010). Central Statistical Office – Living Conditions Department, Warsaw.
- OKRASA, W., CIERPIAŁ-WOLAN, M., MARKOCKI, P., (2013). Statistical Issues in Analyzing Trans-Border Non-Institutional Activities. Effect on Spatial Inequality of Wellbeing, Paper delivered at the 59th ISI World Statistics Congress, Hong Kong, 25–30 September 2013.
- Surveys of trips made by Poles and arrivals of foreigners to Poland - Methodological book, (2013). Edited by Cierpiał-Wolan, M., Jeznach, M., CSO, Warsaw.
- THOMPSON, S. K., (2012). Sampling, Third Edition, Wiley.
Publication order reference