Internalization and Production of Metaphorical Expressions with EFL Students
Languages of publication
The paper presents the results of qualitative research with 20 EFL students, who were exposed to structured metaphorical input for one academic year. It will be demonstrated how metaphorical expressions covered in classes are used spontaneously by students in writing tasks some time after they had been introduced and practiced, which is clear evidence of internalization that surfaces during production.
- Boers, Frank. 2000. “Metaphor Awareness and Vocabulary Retention.” Applied Linguistics 21(4):553-571.[Crossref]
- Eisner, Elliot W. 1991. The Enlightened Eye. Qualitative Inquiry and the Enhancement of Educational Practice. New York: Macmillan Publishing.
- Lazar, Gillian. 1996. “Using Figurative Language to Expand Students’ Vocabulary.” ELT Journal 50(1):43-51.
- Lazar, Gillian. 2003. Meanings and Metaphors. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Littlemore, Jeannette. 2001. “Metaphoric Intelligence and Foreign Language Learning.” Humanizing languageteaching 3.2. [Online]. Available: http://www.hltmag.co.uk/mar01/mart1.htm [Accessed 2006, June 20].
- Littlemore, Jeannette. 2004. “What Kind of Training is Required to Help Language Students Use Metaphor- Based Strategies to Work Out the Meaning of New Vocabulary?” D.E.L.T.A. 20(2):265-279.
- Littlemore, Jeannette and Low, Graham. 2006. Figurative Thinking and Foreign Language Learning. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Patton, Michael Quinn 2002. Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods. Thousand Oaks, London, New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Radić-Bojanić, Biljana. 2011a. “Imagery as a Metaphorical Vocabulary Learning Strategy” in Images inLanguage. Metaphors and Metamorphoses. Andras Benedek and Kristof Nyíri (Eds.). Frankfurt am Mein: Peter Lang, pp. 5-18.
- Radić-Bojanić, Biljana. 2011b. “Animal Metaphors in EFL Vocabulary Acquisition” in Proceedings of the FirstInternational Conference on English Studies English Language and Anglophone Literatures Today. Ivana Đurić Paunović and Maja Marković (Eds.). Novi Sad: Faculty of Philosophy, pp. 305-312.
- Richards, Keith. 2003. Qualitative Inquiry in TESOL. Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Tullis Owen, Jillian A. 2008. “Naturalistic Inquiry” in The Sage Encyclopedia of Qualitative Research Methods. Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications. [Online]. Available: http://www.sage-ereference.com/ research/Article _ n280.html [Accessed 2008, December 7].
Publication order reference