Testing and Assessing English Word-Formation
Languages of publication
The paper discusses the testing/assessment of word-formation skills in thresholdlevel (B1) learners. To determine the suitability and use of productive gap-fill exercises at this level, an example of a word-formation exercise is addressed from the following perspectives: word frequency (corpus data), morphological complexity (morpheme types and wordformation processes), syntactic environments (typical sentence and/or phrase patterns), analysis of statistical data (facility values) and test-takers’ errors. The text also addresses some implications of the findings for the instruction of lexis.
- Adams, Valerie. 2001. Complex Words in English. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.
- Alderson, J. Charles, Caroline Clapham and Dianne Wall. 1995. Language Test Construction and Evaluation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Alemi, Minoo and Alireza Tayebi. 2011. “The Influence of Incidental and Intentional Vocabulary Acquisition and Vocabulary Strategy Use on Learning L2 Vocabularies.” in Journal of Language Teaching and Research 2 (1), pp. 82-98.
- Bennett, Sue, Karl Maton and Lisa Kervin. 2008. “The ‘digital natives’ debate: A critical review of the evidence” in British Journal of Educational Technology 39 (5), pp. 775-786.[WoS][Crossref]
- Biber, Douglas, Stig Johansson, Geoffrey Leech, Susan Conrad and Edward Finegan. 2004. Longman Grammar of Spoken and Written English. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online. 2013. Available: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/ [Accessed 2013, March 14].
- Council of Europe. 2001. The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Moir, Jo and Paul Nation. 2008. “Vocabulary and good language learners” in Lessons from Good Language Learners. Carol Griffiths (ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 159-173.
- Nation, I. S. P. 1990. Teaching and learning vocabulary. New York: Newbury House.
- Partridge, Eric. 1983. Origins: A Short Etymological Dictionary of Modern English. New York: Greenwich House.
- Schmitt, Norbert. 2008. “Instructed second language vocabulary learning.” in Language Teaching Research 12 (3), pp. 329-363.
- Schmitt, Norbert and Paul Meara (1997). “Researching vocabulary through a word knowledge framework (Word associations and verbal suffixes)” in Studies in Second Language Acquisition 1, pp. 17-36.
- Schmitt, Norbert and Cheryl Boyd Zimmerman. 2002. “Derivative Word Forms: What Do Learners Know?” in TESOL QUATERLY 36 (2), Summer, pp. 145-171.
- The British National Corpus, version 3 (BNC XML Edition). 2007. Distributed by Oxford University Computing Services on behalf of the BNC Consortium. Available: http://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/ [Accessed 2013, March 14].
Publication order reference