Competency Framework for Managers of International Organizations in Ukraine
Languages of publication
The article is focused on the analysis of the cross-cultural competency framework of the NGO managers within international organizations. The results of the qualitative research project demonstrate a consistent pattern of three perceived mandatory competencies for efficient managers: communicative competence, intercultural competence and linguistic competence. The qualitative phenomenological research was conducted in Ukraine and US; the insights of 22 in-depth interviews with managers of the international NGOs reveal vision and perception that US and Ukrainian managers have regarding the required education, skill set and knowledge of the successful international managers.
- Barnes J., Buko S., Johnson B., Kostenko N. (2012, October) Through the looking glass: Do Western Leadership Assessments work in cross-cultural contexts? Paper presented at the 14th Annual International Leadership Association Global Conference “Leadership Across the Great Divides: Bridging Cultures, Contexts, and Complexities,” Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Bennett, & M. J. Bennett (Eds.), Handbook of intercultural training (3rd ed.): pp. 85 - 128. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage.
- Boli J. (1997) World Culture in the World Polity: A Century of International Non-Governmental Organization. American Sociological Review, Vol.62 No.2 p. 171- 190.
- Creswell, J. W. (2007). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Earley, P. C, & Ang, S. (2003). Cultural intelligence: Individual interactions across cultures. Palo Alto, Calif: Stanford University Press.
- Earley, P. C., & Gibson, C. B. (2002). Multinational work teams: A new perspective. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Golovakha Y. Panina N. (2009) Main Stages and Tendencies in Transformation of Ukrainian Society: From Perestroyka to Orange Revolution. In Ukrainian Sociological review. Named after Natalia Panina 2006-2007 (pp.3-24) Kyiv: Institute of Sociology NAS
- Hofstede, G. (2001). Culture's consequences: Comparing values, behaviors, institutions, and organizations across nations. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage.
- Kelley, C., & Meyers, J. (1995). The cross-cultural adaptability inventory (manual). Minneapolis, Minn: National Computer Systems.
- Paige, R. M. (2004). Instrumentation in intercultural training. In D. Landis, J. M.
- Kostenko N., Skokova L., Testing of the scale of cultural competence (CQS): Ukrainian audience // Sociology: theory, methods, marketing. - 2012. - No. 4. - pp.159 - 184.
- Kutsenko, O. (2009) Ukraine Under societal transformation: Quo Vadis? In Ukrainian Sociological review. Named after Natalia Panina 2006-2007, Kyiv: Institute of Sociology NAS. pp. 58-74
- Panina N. (2005) Ukrainian Society 1994-2005: Sociological Monitoring. - Kyiv: Institute of Sociology NAS, - 132 p.
Publication order reference