Tefl Materials Evaluation: A Teacher's Perspective
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
This paper discusses the merits and demerits of two main types of instructional EFL materials, namely, global and in-house materials with special reference to those used in the Arab Gulf region. It also focuses on the evaluation of the much commoner global materials and the selection of the most appropriate ones for a specific EFL program. Although several questionnaires and checklists for evaluation exist, none of these has reflected the specific needs and concerns of EFL classroom teachers who would be using those materials. The paper stresses the need to scrutinize the current evaluation formats from a teacher's perspective. For this purpose, the writer proposes a specific "customizing" test that would help EFL teachers to assess the available evaluation checklists, select and adapt the most appropriate form that would fit in their respective settings.
- American University of Sharjah. 2008. M. A. in TESOL.
- Apple, M. 1986. Teachers and texts. New York: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- Asenavage, K. 1998. "ESP in the Arab World: A colloquium". In: Troudi, S., C. Coombe and S. Riley (eds.), Unity through diversity. (TESOL Arabia Conference Proceedings, Vol. III.)
- Bahumaid, S. A. 2001. "On the limitations of the communicative approach in EFL contexts". In Teacher-to-Teacher Conference Proceedings, MLI, AbuDhabi, UAE. 328-338.
- Byrd, D. 1986. English language instruction in the Gulf states. [Unpublished report cited in: Kharma, N. and A. H. S. Hajjaj. 1989. Tradition and innovation in ELT: An Arab perspective. Annals of the Faculty of Arts, Kuwait University, Vol. XI.]
- Cunningsworth, A. 1995. Choosing your coursebook. Oxford: Heinemann.
- Dudley-Evans, T. and M. St. John. 1997. Developments in English for specific purposes. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Grant, N. 1987. Making most of your textbook. London: Longman.
- Graves, K. 2000. Designing Language Courses: A Guide for Teachers. New York: Heinle and Heinle.
- Kuwait University. 2008. Master of Education: The Unified Degree.
- Littlejohn, A. and S. Windeat. 1988. "Beyond language learning: Perspective on materials design". In: Johnson, R. K. (ed.), The second language classroom. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 155-175.
- Nunan, D. 1991. Language teaching methodology: A textbook for teachers. Hemel Hampstead: Prentice Hall.
- Rea-Dickens, P. and K. Germaine. 1992. Evaluation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Richards, J. C. 2001. Curriculum development in language teaching. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Rossner, R. 1988. "Materials for communicative language teaching and learning". Annual Review of Applied Linguistics 2. 140-163.
- Sheldon, I. 1988. "Evaluating ELT textbooks and materials". ELT Journal 42(4). 237-246.
- Skierso, A. 1991. "Textbook selection and evaluation". In: Celce-Muricia, M. (ed.), Teaching English as a second or foreign language. (2nd ed.) Boston: Heinle and Heinle. 432-453.
- Sultan Qaboos University. 2008. M. A. in TESOL.
- United Arab Emirates University. 2008. Academic Programs and Curriculum Catalog.
- Wright, T. 1987. Roles of teachers and learners. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Publication order reference