Translating English BBC News Into Arabic: Morphosyntactic Analysis
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
This paper focuses on the morphological changes that occur when translating English political news into Arabic. It attempts to find the answer to the research question, "What is the nature of the morphological changes that occur in the Arabic translation?" Towards this end, it examines the morphological changes that are attributable to various reasons in Vinay and Darbenet (1995) procedures, among them transposition or shift. Thus, each data item is examined on the basis of the ideas of Vinay and Darbenet (1995) as well as Culicover (1997) using both X'-Theory representation either as phrase markers (tree diagrams) or in linear structures using label bracketing and narrative descriptions.
- Chomsky, N. 1957. Syntactic structures. The Hague: Mouton.
- Chomsky, N. 1965. Aspects of the theory of syntax. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Chomsky, N. 1987. "Transformational grammar: Past, present and future". In: Chomsky, N., Generative Grammar: Its Basis, Development and Prospects. (Studies in English Language and Literature.) Kyoto: Kyoto University of Foreign Studies. 33-80.
- Culicover, P. W. 1997. Principles and parameters: An introduction to syntactic theory. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Vinay, J. P. and J. Darbelnet. 1995. Comparative stylistic of French and English: A methodology for translation. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
Publication order reference