Introducing Deliberative Democracy: A Goal, a Tool, or Just a Context?1
Languages of publication
The concept of deliberative democracy is presented within a wide spectrum of variety of its operationalizations. Since the applicability of the principle of deliberation to the functioning of human society is of the author's primary interest, dilemmas of deliberative democracy related to different problems associated with deliberation in practice are described in some detail. The key questions raised aiming at elucidating the "ontology" of deliberativeness are as follows: is it only a tool for solving the problems of society and politics? Is it a context within which other processes decide on the running of society? Or does it embody a goal of democracy?
- Barber, B. Strong Democracy. Berkeley: Univ. of California Press, 2003.
- Bassette, J. Deliberative Democracy: The Majoritarian Principle in Republican Government. In R. A. Goldwin, W.A. Shambra. How Democratic is the Constitution? Washington DC: American Enterprise Institute, 102-116, 1980.
- Besson, S. Deliberative Demoi-cracy in the European Union: Towards the Deterritorialization of Democracy. In S. Besson, José Luis Martí (Eds.). Deliberative Democracy and its Discontents. Aldershot: Ashgate, 181-214, 2006.
- Cohen, J. Deliberation and Democratic Legitimacy. In A. Hamlin, P. Pettit (Eds.). The Good Polity: Normative Analysis of the State. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 17-34, 1989.
- Cohen, J., Arato, A. Civil Society and Political Theory. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press, 1992.
- Dietz, M. Context is all: Feminism and Theories of Citizenship. In J. K. Conway, S. C. Bourque, J. W. Scott (Eds.). Learning about Women: Gender, Politics and Power. Ann Arbor: Univ. of Michigan Press, 1989.
- Dryzek, J. S. Discursive Democracy. Politics, Policy, and Political Science. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- Dryzek, J. S. Deliberative Democracy and Beyond: Liberals, Critics, Contestation. Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press, 2002.
- Dryzek, J. S. Deliberative Global Politics. Discourse and Democracy in a Divided World. Cambridge: Polity, 2006.
- Fishkin, J. S. The Voice of the People: Public Opinion and Democracy. New Haven: Yale Univ Press, 1995.
- Giddens, A. The Transformation of Intimacy. Cambridge: Polity, 1992.
- Goodin, R. Reflective Democracy. Oxford: Oxford University Presss, 2003.
- Gundersen, A. G., The Socratic Citizen: A Theory of Deliberative Democracy. Lanham: Lexington Books, 2000.
- Gutmann, A., Thompson, D. Why Deliberative Democracy? Princeton: Princeton Univ. Press, 2004.
- Habermas, J. The Theory of Communicative Action. 2 Volumes. Boston: Beacon, 1984.
- Habermas, J. Between Facts and Norms: Contributions to a Discourse Theory of Law and Democracy. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1996.
- Habermas, J. Deliberative Politics. In D. Estlund (Ed.). Democracy. Oxford: Blackwell, 107-126, 2002.
- Honig, B. Political Theory and the Displacement of Politics. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell Univ. Press, 1993.
- James, M. R. Deliberative Democracy and the Plural Polity. Lawrence: The University Press of Kansas, 2004.
- Machovec, M. Smysl lidské existence [The Meaning of Human Existence]. Praha: Akropolis, 2006.
- Manin, B. On Legitimacy and Political deliberation. Political Theory, 15, 338-368, 1987.
- Mansbridge, J. Everyday Talk in the Deliberative System. In S. Macedo (Ed.). Deliberative Politics. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 211-239, 1999.
- O'Flynn, I. The Philosophical Basis of Deliberative Democracy. A thesis submitted to the Queen's University of Belfast for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the Faculty of Legal, Social and Educational Sciences, 2002.
- Przeworski, A. Deliberation and Ideological Domination. In J. Elster (Ed.). Deliberative Democracy New York: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1998.
- Rawls, J. Political Liberalism. New York: Columbia University Press, 1993.
- Reykowski, J. Deliberative Democracy and "Human Nature": An Empirical Approach. Political Psychology, 27, No. 3, 323-346, 2006.
- Talisse, R. B. Democracy after Liberalism-Pragmatism and Deliberative Politics. London: Routledge, 2005.
- Warren, M. Democratic Theory and Trust. In M. Warren (Ed.). Democrary and Trust., New York: Cambridge University Press, 1999.
Publication order reference