The Make-or-Buy Decision in the Croatian Shipbuilding Industry: A Transaction Cost Economics Approach
Languages of publication
This paper examines the make-or-buy decision in the Croatian shipbuilding industry using a Transaction Cost Economics Approach. In other words, shipyards' decision to ‘make’ a component or to ‘buy’ it from market firms is analysed in relation to certain characteristics of the transactions in order to assess whether this decision is made in accordance with the theory's predictions.The empirical investigation, which is based on a sample of 167 observations, suggests that transaction cost hypotheses are only partially confirmed. Namely, while physical asset specificity and complexity are likely to increase the probability that a transaction will be internalised, temporal asset specificity and frequency seem not to affect significantly the integration decision. However, as the analysis leaves much of the variance in the patterns of vertical integration unexplained, the finding presented in this study should be seen as tentative. The inclusion of the remaining shipyards in the analysis as well as of new and more variables in the model are likely to improve the reliability of the results.
- Arrow, Kenneth. 1969. "The organisation of economic activity: issues pertinent to the choice of market versus non-market allocation." Washington DC, US Joint Economic Committee: 91st Congress.
- Bartlett, Will, Bateman, Milford, Vehovec, Maja. 2002. Small Enterprise Development in South-East Europe: Policiesfor Sustainable Growth, Boston: Kluwer.
- Bateman" Milford, Kastelan-Mrak, Marija, Vehovec, Maja. 1998. "Industrial Restructuring and the Promotion of Small Enterprise Clusters: the Case of Shipbuilding and Repair Industry in the Republic of Croatia" Journal of Applied Management Studies, 7 (1).
- Besanko, David, Dranove, David and Shanley, Mark. 1996. Economics of Strategy. New York: Wiley.
- Bigelow, Lyda S., 2004. "Make-or-Buy Revisited: A Longitudinal, Population-wide Test of Transaction Cost Alignement" Submitted to Journal of Economic Behaviour and Organization.
- Bitzer, Jurgen, vn Hirschhausen, Christian. 1997. "The Shipbuilding Industry in East and West: Industry Dynamics, Science and Technology Policies and Emerging Patterns of Co-operation" Deutsches Institut fur Wirtschaftsforschung, Discussion Paper No. 151, Berlin.
- Boerner, Cristopher, Macher, Jeffrey. 2002 "Transaction Cost Economics: An Assessment of Empirical Research in the Social Sciences" Journal of Law, Economics and Organization.
- Caves, Richard and Bradburd, Ralph. 1988. "The empirical determinants and vertical integration." Journal of Economic Behaviour and Organisation, 9 (2), pp. 265-279.
- Coase, Ronald H. 1937, "The Nature of the Firm." Economica, pp. 386-405.
- Coase, Ronald H. 2000 "The Acquisition of Fisher Body by General Motors." Journal of Law and Economics, 43, pp.15-31. Croatia Outlook 1997. 3(1) Zagreb.
- Croatian Chamber of Economy. 2003. "Shipbuilding Industry" Zagreb.
- Croatian Chamber of Economy. 2005. "Shipbuilding Industry" Zagreb.
- Dahlman, Carl. 1979. "The problem of externality." Journal of Law and Economics. 22 (1), pp. 141-162.
- Douma, Sytse and Schreuder, Hein 1998. Economic Approaches to organisations. Hemel Hempstead: Prentice Hall.
- Eccles, R. G., 1981. "The Quasifirm in the Construction Industry", Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 2, pp. 335-57.
- Goffman, I., 1969. Strategic Interaction. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- González,-Diaz, Manuel, Benito Arruñada, and Alberto Fernández. 2000. "Causes of Subcontracting: Evidence from Panel Data on Construction Firms," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 42, pp. 167-87.
- Gujarati, Damodar, 1992. Essentials of Econometrics. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Hagedoorn, J., 1993. "Understanding the Rationale of Strategic Technology Partnering: Interorganizational Modes of Cooperation and Sectoral Differences", Strategic Management Journal, 14, pp. 371-385
- Hendrikse, George. 2003. Economics and management of organisation. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill.
- Hodgson, Geoffrey 1988. Economics and institutions: a manifesto for a modern institutional economics. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.
- Joskow, Paul 1985. "Vertical integration and long term contracts: the case of coal-burning electric generating plants." Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, 1, pp. 33-80.
- Joskow, Paul 2003. "Vertical Integration", Forthcoming, Handbook of New Institutional Economics, Kluwer.
- Kanerva, Markku, Lietepohja, Matti, Hakulinen, Petri. 2002. "Shipbuilding Process - Challenges and Opportunities", Deltamarin.
- Klein, Benjamin, Crawford, Robert, Alchian, Armen. 1978. "Vertical integration, appropriable rents and the competitive contracting process." Journal of Law and Economics, 21, pp. 297-326.
- Klein, Benjamin. 1988. "Vertical integration as organisational ownership: the Fisher Body-GM relationship revisited." Journal of Law and Economics, 4 (1), pp. 3-17.
- Klein, Benjamin. 2000 "Fisher-General Motors and The Nature of The Firm" Journal of Law and Economics, vol. XLIII, pp. 105-141.
- Klein, Peter G. 2004. "The make-or-buy decision: lessons from empirical studies." University of Missouri at Columbia: Contracting and Organisations Research Institute. Working Paper Number 2004-07, April.
- Levy, David. 1985. "The transaction cost approach to vertical integration: an empirical examination." Review of Economics and Statistics, 67, pp. 438-445.[Crossref]
- Love, James H., Stephen, Frank H. 1999 "Contractual Failure, Market Failure and the make-or-buy Decision" Washington DC, Society for New Institutional Economics: Third Annual Conference International.
- Knight, Frank, 1921. Risk, uncertainty and profit. New York: Harper & Row. Reprinted 1933. London: LSE.
- MacDonald, J. M., 1985 "Market Exchange or Vertical Integration: An Empirical Analysis" Review of Economic and Statistics, 67, pp. 327-331.
- Masten, Scott E., 1984. "The organisation of production: evidence from the aerospace industry." Journal of Law and Economics, 27, pp. 403-417.
- Masten, Scott E., Meehan, James and Snyder, Edward 1989. "Vertical Integration in the U. S. Auto Industry" Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 12, pp. 265-273.
- Masten, Scott E., Meehan, James and Snyder, Edward 1991. "The costs of organisation" Journal of Law, Economics and Organisation, 7 (1), pp. 1-26.
- Masten, Scott E., 1994. "Empirical Research in Transaction Cost Economics: Challenges, Progress, Directions", Presented at the conference Transaction Cost Economics and Beyond, Rotterdam.
- Masten, Scott E., 2000. "Reaffirming Relationship-Specific Investments" Michigan Law Review, August, pp. 2668-77.
- Milgrom, Paul, and Roberts, John, 1992. Economic organisations, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Harvester Wheatsheaf.
- Ministry of Economic Affairs 1997. Published information obtained from the Directorate of Industry and Shipbuilding, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Zagreb.
- Monteverde, Kirk, and Teece, David, 1982a. "Appropriable rents and quasi-vertical integration." Journal of Law and Economics, pp. 321-283.
- Monteverde, Kirk, and Teece, David, 1982 b. "Supplier switching costs and vertical integration in the automobile industry." Bell Journal of Economics, pp. 206-13.
- Palay. Thomas, 1984. "Comparative institutional economics: the governance of rail freight contracting." The Journal of Legal Studies, 13, pp. 265-287.
- Rao, Pinninti K. 2003. The Economics of Transaction Costs. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Rindfleisch, Aric, Heide, Jan B. 1997 "Transaction Cost Economics: Past, Present, and Future Applications" Journal of Marketing, 61, pp. 30-54.[Crossref]
- Shelanski, Harold, and Klein, Peter, 1995. "Empirical research in transaction cost economics: a review and assessment." Journal of Law, Economics and Organisation. 11(2), pp. 335-361.
- Simon, Herbert, 1957. Models of Man. London: Macmillan.
- Walker, Gordon and Weber, David 1984. "A transaction cost approach to make-or-buy decisions." Administrative Science Quarterly, 29, pp. 373-391.[Crossref]
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1975. Market and hierarchies: analysis and antitrust implications. New York: Free Press.
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1976. "Franchise bidding for natural monopolies." Bell Journal of Economics, Spring (1), pp. 73-104.
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractual Relations", Journal of Law and Economics, 22, pp. 232-262.
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1985. The Economic Institutions of Capitalism. New York: Free Press.
- Williamson, Oliver E. 1986. Economic Organisation. Brighton: Wheatsheaf Books.
- Williamson Oliver E., 1991. "Comparative economic organisation: the analysis of discrete structural alternatives." Administrative Science Quarterly, 36, pp. 269-296.[Crossref]
- Williamson Oliver E., 1992. "Markets, Hierarchies and the Modern Corporation" Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 17, pp. 335-52
Publication order reference