To List or Not To List: Expectations versus Reality for Greek Shipping IPOs
Languages of publication
Sharing ownership with outside investors through an IPO has advantages and disadvantages that create dilemmas for company founders. It can further be a source of disappointment when expectations fall short of reality. That's not the case for the Greek ship owners who floated the shares of their companies to major US Exchanges in the early 2000s, however. The listing has met and even exceeded their expectations: Broadened their capital structure, improved image and prestige, strengthened bargaining power with creditors, and enhanced entrepreneurial opportunities
- Amihud, Y. and Mendelson, H., 1988, "Liquidity and assets prices: financial management implications," Financial Management, 17 (1), 5-15.[Crossref]
- Barry, C., Muscarella, C., Peavy, J. and Vetsuypens, M., 1990, ‘The Role of Venture Capital in the Creation of Public Companies: Evidence from the Going Public Process’, Journal of Financial Economics, 27 (2), 447-471.[Crossref]
- Barry, C. B., Muscarella, C. J. and Vertsuypens, M. R., 1991, ‘Underwriter Warrants, Underwriter Compensation, and the Costs of Going Public’, Journal of Financial Economics, 29, 113-135.[Crossref]
- Bauer, M. W. and Gaskell, G. (eds.), 2000, Qualitative Researching with Text, Image, and Sound: A Practical Handbook (London, U. K.: Sage Publications).
- Brennan, M. J. and Franks, J., 1997 ‘Underpricing, Ownership and Control in Initial Public Offerings of Equity Securities in the UK’, Journal of Financial Economics, 45, 391-413.[Crossref]
- Black, B. S. and Gilson, R. J., 1998 ‘Venture Capital and the Structure of Capital Markets: Banks versus Stock Markets’, Journal of Financial Economics, 47, 243-277.[WoS]
- Bolton, P. and Von Thadden, E., 1998 ‘Blocks, Liquidity, and Corporate Control’, The Journal of Finance, 53 (1), 1-25.[Crossref]
- Booth, J. R and Chua, L., 1996, ‘Ownership Dispersion, Costly Information, and IPO Underpricing’, Journal of Financial Economics, 41, 291-310.[Crossref]
- Campbell, T., 1979, ‘Optimal Investment Financing Decisions and the Value of Confidentiality’, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 14, 913-924.[Crossref][WoS]
- Chemmanur, T. J. and Fulghieri, P., 1999, ‘A Theory of the Going-Public Decision’, The Review of Financial Studies, 12 (2), 249-279.[WoS][Crossref]
- Chen, H. C. and Ritter, J. R., 2000, ‘The Seven Per Cent Solution’, The Journal of Finance, 55 (3), 1105-1131.[Crossref]
- Cook, D. O., Kieschnick, R. and Van Ness, R. A., 2006, ‘On the marketing of IPOs’, Journal of Financial Economics, 82 (1), 35-61.[Crossref]
- Creswell, J. W., 1994, Research Design: Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches, London: Sage Publications.
- Deeds D. L., Decarolis D. and Coombs J. E., 1997, ‘The impact of firm-specific capabilities on the amount of capital raised in an initial public offering: evidence from the biotechnology industry’, Journal of Business Venturing, 12(1), 31-46.[Crossref]
- Derrien, F. and Kecskés, A., 2007, ‘The Initial Public Offerings of Listed Firms’, The Journal of Finance, 62 (1), 447-479.[Crossref]
- Fombrun, C. J. and C. Van Riel, 1998, ‘The Reputational Landscape: A Convergence of Theory and Practice’, Corporate Reputation Review, 1, 5-13.
- Frieder, L. and Subrahmanyam, A., 2005, ‘Brand perceptions and the market for common stock’, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 40, 57-85.
- Grammenos, C. T. and Choi, C. J., 1999, ‘The Greek Shipping Industry’, International Studies of Management and Organization, 29 (1), 34-52.
- Grammenos, C. T. and Marcoulis, S., 1996, ‘Shipping Initial Public Offerings: A Cross-Country Analysis’, in Levis, M. (eds.), Empirical Issues in Raising Equity Capital, Oxford: Elsevier, pp. 379-400.
- Hansen, R. S., 2001, ‘Do Investment Banks Compete in IPOs?: The Advent of the ‘7% plus Contract’, Journal of Financial Economics, 59, 313-346.
- Holmstrom, B. and Tirole, J., 1993, ‘Market Liquidity and Performance Monitoring’, Journal of Political Economy, 101, 678-709.
- Institute of Shipping Economics & Logistics, 2006, ISL Shipping Statistics & Market Review 2006, Retrieved Jan. 2, 2007, from the World Wide Web:
- Leland, H. E. and Pyle, D. H., 1977, ‘Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation’, The Journal of Finance, 32 (2), 371-387.[Crossref]
- National Association of Securities Dealers (NASDAQ), Financial Data, Retrieved July 21, 2005 and Nov. 6, 2006, from the World Wide Web:
- New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Financial Data, Retrieved Jul. 21 and Aug. 6, 2005, and Sept. 24, 2006, from the World Wide Web:
- Pagano, M., 1993, ‘The Flotation of Companies on the Stock Market’, European Economic Review, 37, 1101-1125.
- Pagano, M., Panetta, F. and Zingales, L., 1998, ‘Why Do Companies Go Public? An Empirical Analysis’, The Journal of Finance, 53 (1), 27-63.[Crossref]
- Pagano, M. and Röell, A., 1998, ‘The Choice of Stock Ownership Structure: Agency costs, Monitoring and the Decision to Go Public’, Quarterly Journal of Economics, 113 (1), 187-225.[Crossref]
- Pollock, T. G. and Gulati, R., 2007, ‘Standing out from the crowd: the visibility-enhancing effects of IPO-related signals on alliance formation by entrepreneurial firms’, Strategic Organization, 5 (4), 339-372.[Crossref]
- Rajan, R. G., 1992, ‘Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-length Debt’, The Journal of Finance, 47 (4), 1367-1400.[Crossref]
- Ravasi, D. and Marchisio, G., 2003, ‘Going Public and the Enrichment of a Supportive Network’, Small Business Economics, 21 (4), 381-395.[Crossref]
- Ritter, J. R., 1987, ‘The Costs of Going Public’, University of Michigan Working Paper No. 487, Retrieved Jul. 8, 2005, from the World Wide Web:
- Ritter, J. R., and Welch, I., 2002, ‘A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations’, The Journal of Finance, 57 (4), 1795-1828.[Crossref]
- Ritter, J. R., 2003, ‘Investment banking and securities issuance’, in Constadinides, G., Harris, M. and Stulz, R. (eds.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, pp. 255-306.
- Rock, K, 1986, ‘Why new issues are underpriced’, Journal of Financial Economics, 15, 187-212.[Crossref]
- Röell, A., 1996, ‘The Decision to Go Public: An Overview’, European Economic Review, 40 (3-5), 1071-1081.[Crossref]
- Stefanidis, A., Ioannidis, A. and Mourdoukoutas, P., 2007, ‘Entrepreneurial Networks in Highly Globalised Industries: The Case of the Greek Shipping Industry’, International Journal of Networking and Virtual Organizations, 4 (2), 189-200.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development - UNCTAD Secretariat, 2006, Review of Maritime Transport 2006, New York and Geneva: United Nations.
- Yin, R. K., 1994, Case Study Research, Design and Methods. Thousand Oaks, California, USA: Sage Publications.
- Yahoo Finance
- Yosha, O., 1995, ‘Information Disclosure Costs and the Choice of Financing Source’, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 4, 3-20.[Crossref]
- Zingales, L., 1995, ‘Insider Ownership and the Decision to Go Public’, Review of Economic Studies, 62, 425-448.[Crossref]
Publication order reference