Ownership Concentration, Managerial Ownership and Firm Performance: Evidence from Turkey
Languages of publication
This study examines the effects of ownership concentration and managerial ownership on the profitability and the value of non-financial firms listed on the Istanbul Stock Exchange (ISE) in the context of an emerging market. We measure the firm's performance by Return on Assets (ROA) and Tobin's Q ratios, where the former measures profitability and the latter the value of the firm. In addition, we give detailed information on the main characteristics of the ownership structures of the firms in our sample and find that ownership of Turkish firms is highly concentrated. In addition, the unlisted holding companies have the highest average percentage of shares, which supports the belief that individuals or families establish the holding companies in order to control their listed firms. After controlling for investment intensity, leverage, growth and size, we find that ownership concentration has a significantly positive effect on both firm value and profitability, while managerial ownership has a significantly negative effect on firm value.
- Barberis, N., M. Boycko, A. Shleifer, N. Tsukanova (1996). "How does privatization work? Evidence from the Russian shops". Journal of Political Economy, 104, 764-790.[Crossref]
- Berle, A., G. Means (1932). The Modern Corporation and Private Property. Harcourt, Brace, & World, New York.
- Chen, Z., Y.-L. Cheung, A. Strouraitis, A. W. S. Wang (2005). "Ownership concentration, firm performance, and dividend policy in Hong Kong". Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 13, 431-449.
- Cho, M-H. (1998). "Ownership structure, investment, and the corporate value: An empirical Analysis". Journal of Financial Economics, 47, 103-121.[WoS][Crossref]
- Claessens, S. (1997). "Corporate governance and equity prices: Evidence from the Czech and Slovak Republics". Journal of Finance, 52, 1641-1658.[Crossref]
- Claesses, S., S. Djankov (1999). "Ownership concentration and corporate performance in the Czech Republic". Journal of Comparative Economics, 27, 498-513
- Demirağ, I., M. Serter (2003). "Ownership Patterns and Control in Turkish Listed Companies". Corporate Governance: An International Review, 11, 40-51.[WoS]
- Demsetz, H. (1983). "The structure of ownership and the theory of the firm". Journal of Law and Economics, 26, 375-390.[WoS]
- Demsetz, H., K. Lehn (1985). "The structure of corporate ownership: Causes and consequences". Journal of Political Economy, 93, 1155-1177.[Crossref]
- Demsetz, H., B. Villalonga (2001). "Ownership structure and corporate performance". Working paper. UCLA.
- Fama E., M. Jensen (1983). "Separation of ownership and control". Journal of Law and Economics, 26, 301-325.
- Florackis, C., A. Kostakis, A. Ozkan (2009). "Managerial ownership and performance". Journal of Business Research, 62, 1350-1357.[Crossref]
- Gitman, L. (2006). Principles of Managerial Finance. Addison Wesley Longman.
- Gorton, G., F. A. Schmid (2000). "Universal banking and the performance of German firms". Journal of Financial Economics, 58, 29-80.[Crossref]
- Gönenç, H. (2004). VIII. National Finance Symposium, 27-28 October, Istanbul Technical University. Istanbul, 157-167.
- Grossman, S., O. Hart. (1986). "The costs and benefits of ownership: A theory of vertical and lateral integration". Journal of Political Economy, 94, 691-719.[Crossref]
- Gunasekarage, A., K. Hess, A. Hu (2007). "The influence of the degree of state ownership and the ownership concentration on the performance of listed Chinese companies". Research in International Business and Finance, 21, 379-395.[Crossref]
- Gursoy, G., K. Aydogan (2002). "Equity ownership structure, risk taking and performance". Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 38, 6-25.
- Hermalin, B. E., M. S. Weibach (1991). "The effect of board composition and direct incentives on firm performance". Financial Management, 21, 101-112.[Crossref]
- Himmelberg, C., R. G. Hubbard, D. Palia (1999). "Understanding the determinants of managerial ownership and the link between ownership and performance". Journal of Financial Economics, 53, 353-384.[WoS][Crossref]
- Hiraki, T., H. Inoue, A. Ito, F. Kuroki, H. Masuda (2003). "Corporate governance and firm value in Japan: Evidence from 1985 to 1998". Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 11, 239-265.
- Holderness, C., R. Kroszner, D. Sheehan (1999). "Were the good old days that good? Evolution of managerial stock ownership and corporate governance since the Great Depression". Journal of Finance, 54, 435-469.[Crossref]
- Jensen, M., W. Meckling (1976). "Theory of the firm: managerial behavior, agency costs, and ownership structure". Journal of Financial Economics, 3, 305-360.[Crossref]
- Joh, S. W. (2003). "Corporate governance and firm profitability: Evidence from Korea before the, economic crisis". Journal of Financial Economics, 68, 287-322.[Crossref]
- La Porta, R., F. Lopez-de-slanes, A Shleifer,. R. Vishny (1999). "Corporate ownership around the world". Journal of Finance, 54, 471-518.[Crossref]
- Loderer, C., and K. Martin (1997). "Executive stock ownership and performance: tracking faint traces". Journal of Financial Economics, 45, 223-255.[Crossref]
- McConnell, J., H. Servaes (1990). "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value". Journal of Financial Economics, 27, 595-612.[Crossref]
- Morck, R., A. Shleifer, R. Vishny (1988). "Management ownership and market valuation: an empirical analysis". Journal of Financial Economics, 20, 293-315.[Crossref]
- Omran, M. M., A. Bolbol, A. Fatheldin (2008). "Corporate governance and firm performance in Arab equity markets: does ownership concentration matter?" International Review of Law and Economics, 28, 32-45.[Crossref]
- Shleifer, A., R. Vishny. (1986). "Large shareholders and corporate control". Journal of Political Economy, 94, 431-488.
- Shleifer, A., R. Vishny (1997). "A survey of corporate governance". Journal of Finance, 52, 737-783.[Crossref]
- Stulz, R. M. (1988). "Managerial control of voting rights: Financing policies and the market for corporate control". Journal of Financial Economics, 20, 25-54.[Crossref]
- Sun, Q., W. Tong, J. Tong (2002). "How does government ownership affect firm performance? Evidence from China's privatization experience". Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 29, 1-27.[Crossref]
- Weiss, A., and G. Nikitin (1998). "Performance of Czech companies by ownership structure". University of Michigan: William Davidson Institute, The Davidson Institute Working Paper 186.
- Xu, X., Y. Wang (1997). "Ownership structure, corporate governance, and corporate performance: The case of Chinese stock companies". World Bank Working Paper 1794, World Bank.
- Xu, X., Y. Wang (1999). "Ownership structure and corporate governance in Chinese stock companies". China Economic Review, 10, 75-98.[Crossref]
- Yammeesri, J., S. J. Lodh, S. K. Herath (2006). "Influence of ownership structure and corporate performance pre-crisis: evidence from Thailand". International Journal of Electronic Finance, 1, 181-199.[Crossref]
- Yurtoglu, B. B. (1998). "Ownership Structure of Turkish Listed Firms". ISE Finance Award Series 1: 55-84.
Publication order reference