Factors Affecting Reading Speed Measurements of Coloured Web Pages
Languages of publication
Most of web-based systems use a fashion-driven graphical user interface design which does not necessarily provide the readers with high reading performance of colour variations of text and background. Many studies addressed this problem but none of them succeeded in offering complete and conclusive results in form of reading performance table which could be used in practice. The aim of this paper is to find reasons for these incomplete results. In our research, we firstly analyzed different experiment designs described in the literature and proposals for further research. Consequently, we tried to find an improved design and carried out an experiment involving 270 students who tested 30 web-safe colour combinations. However, our experiment also did not reveal statistically significant differences in reading speed. Therefore the multidimensional scaling (MDS) method was performed to show that the speed of reading cannot be described as a one-dimensional problem.
- Benbasat, I., Dexter, A. S. and Todd, P., 1986, The Influence of Colour and Graphical Information Presentation in a Managerial Decision Simulation, Human-Computer Interaction, 2(1), pp. 65-92, DOI: 10.1207/s15327051hci0201_3.[Crossref]
- Bostrom, R. P. and Kaiser, K. M., 1981, Personality Differences within System Project Teams-Implications for Designing Solving Centers, in Proceedings of the XVIII. Computer Personnel Research Conference, New York, ACM, DOI: 10.1145/800051.801855.[Crossref]
- Boyarski, D., Neuwirth, C., Forlizzi, J. and Harkness, S. R., 1998, A Study of Fonts Designed for Screen Display, in CHI 98, 18 - 23 April, pp. 87-94, DOI: 10.1145/274644.274658.
- Bruce, M. and Foster, J. J., 1982, The Visibility of Coloured Characters on Coloured Back-grounds in Viewdata Displays, Visible Language, 16(4), pp. 382-390.
- Casini, M., Prattichizzo, D. and Vicino, A., 2003, The Automatic Control Telelab: A User-Friendly Interface for Distance Learning, IEEE Transactions on Education, 46(2), pp. 252-257, DOI: 10.1109/TE.2002.808224.[Crossref]
- Christ, R. E., 1975, Review and analysis of colour coding research for visual displays, Human Factors, 17, pp. 542-570.
- CIE Pub. 15.2., 1986. Colourimetry, 2nd Ed. Vienna: CIE Central Bureau.
- Connolly, K., 1998, Legibility and Readability of Small Print. Effects of Font, Observer Age and Spatial Vision, A Master of science Thesis, Department of Psychology, Calgary Alberta.
- Davidson, M. L., 1983, Multidimensional Scaling, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- DeSanctis, G., 1984, Computer Graphics as Decision Aids, Working paper, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.
- DeSanctis, G. and Jarvenpaa, S. L., 1985, An Investigation of the Tables Versus Graphs Controversy, in Proceedings of the VI. International Conference on Information Systems.
- Dillon, A., 1992, Reading from paper versus screens, a critical review of empirical literature, Taylor and Francis Ltd.
- Dyson, M. C., 2004, How physical text layout affects reading from screen, Behaviour & Information Technology, 23(6), pp. 377-393, DOI: 10.1080/01449290410001715714.[Crossref]
- Ghani, J. and Lusk, E. J., 1981, The Impact of Information Presentation and Modification on Decision Performance, Working paper, The Sloan School, MTT.
- Gould, J. D., Alfaro, L., Barnes V., Finn, R., Grischkowsky, N. and Minuto, A., 1987, Reading is slower from CRT displays than from paper: attempts to isolate a single-variable explanation, Human Factors, 29(3), pp. 269-299.
- Gremillion, L. L. and Jenkins, A. M., 1981, The Effects of Colour Enhanced Information Presentations, Discussion Paper #173, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana.
- Hall, R. and Hanna, P., 2004. The impact of web page text-background colour combinations on readability, retention, aesthetics and behavioural intention. Behaviour & Information Technology, 23(3), 183-195, DOI: 10.1080/01449290410001669932.[Crossref]
- Hoadley, E. and Jenkins, A. M., 1987, The effects of colour on performance in an information extraction task using varying forms of information presentation: Pilot studies, IRMIS Working Paper #W713, Bloomington, Indiana University Institute for Research on the Management of Information Systems, Graduate School of Bussiness.
- Humar, I. and Gradišar, M., 2003, Colour test, Available online at:
- ISO 9241-3., 1992, Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals (VDTs), Part 3: Visual display requirements. International Organization for Standardization.
- ISO 12646, 2004, Graphic technology - Displays for colour proofing - Characteristics and viewing conditions. International Organization for Standardization.
- Klare, G. R., 1969, The Measurement of Readability, Ames, Iowa: The Iowa State University Press, pp. 1-2.
- Kroemer, K. H. E., 1993, Locating the Computer Screen: How High, How Far?, Economics in Design, pp. 7-8.
- Lehn, D. and Stern, H., 2000, Death of the Web-safe Colour Palette?, Available online at:
- Latchman, H. A., Salzmann, Ch., Gillet, D. and Bouzekri, H., 1999, Information Technology Enhanced Learning in Distance and Conventional Education, IEEE Transactions on Education, 42(4), 247-254, DOI: 10.1109/13.804528.[Crossref]
- Le Courier du Livre, 1912, Lisibilite des affiches en couleurs, Sheldons Limited House, Cosmos, Sept. 5, pp. 255.
- Legge, G. E. and Rubin, G. S., 1986, Psychophysics of reading: IV. Wavelength effects in normal and low vision, Journal of the Optics Society of America, A(3), 40-51.
- Lin, C. C., 2003, Effects of contrast ratio and text colour on visual performance with TFT-LCD, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 31, pp. 65-72, DOI: 10.1016/S0169-8141(02)00175-0.[Crossref]
- Ling, J. and Schaik, P., 2002, The effect of text and background colour on visual search of Web pages, Displays, 23, pp. 223-230, DOI: 10.1016/S0141-9382(02)00041-0.[Crossref]
- Luckiesh, M., 1923, Light and Colour in Advertising and Merchandising, H. Van Nostrand Co., New York, pp. 246-251.
- Mason, R. O. and Mitroff, L. L., 1973, A Program for Research on Management Information Systems, Management Science, 19(5), DOI: 10.1287/mnsc.19.5.475.[Crossref]
- Matthews, M. L. and Mertins, K., 1987, The influence of colour on visual search and subjective discomfort using CRT displays. In Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 31st Annual Meeting, Santa Monica, CA: HFES, pp. 1271-1275.
- McDowell, D., Kodak, E. and Warter, L., 1997, Viewing Conditions, The Prepress Bulletin.
- Murch, G. M., 1985, Colour graphics - Blessing or ballyhoo?, Computer Graphics Forum, 4, pp. 127-135.[Crossref]
- Pace, B. J., 1984, Colour combinations and contrast reversals on visual display units, In Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 28th Annual Meeting, Santa Monica, CA: HFES, pp.326-330.
- Pastoor, S., 1990, Legibility and subjective preference for colour combinations in text, Human Factors, 32(2), pp. 157-171.[Crossref]
- Pearson, R. and Schaik, P., 2003, The effect of spatial layout of and link colour in web pages on performance in a visual search task and an interactive search task, International journal on Human-Computer studies, 59, pp. 327-353, DOI: 10.1016/S1071-5819(03)00045-4.[Crossref]
- Pett, D. and Wilson, T., 1996, Colour research and its application to the design of instructional materials, Educational Technology Research & Development, 44(3), pp. 19-35, DOI: 10.1007/BF02300423.[Crossref]
- Radl, G. W., 1980, Experimental investigations for optimal presentation-mode and colours of symbols on the CRT-screen, In Ergonomic aspects of visual display terminals, E. Grandjean & E. Vigliani (Ed.), London: Taylor & Francis, pp. 127-135.
- Resinovič, G., Jenkins, M. A., Gradišar, M. and Jaklič, J., 1999. Legibility and visibility issues in colour enhanced information presentation, Working paper No. 88, University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Economics.
- Sanders, M. S. and McCormick, E. J., 1993, Human factors in engineering and design. Singapore: McGraw-Hill.
- Shieh, K. K., Chen, M. and Chuang, J. H., 1997, Effects of Colour Combinations and Typography on Identification of Characters Briefly Presented on VDT's, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 9(2), pp. 169-181, DOI: 10.1207/s15327590ijhc0902_5.[Crossref]
- Silverstein, L. D., 1982, Human factors for colour CRT displays. In Proceedings of the Society for Information Display: Seminar Lecture Notes, 2, pp. 1-41.
- Suh, K. S., 1999, Impact of Communication Medium on Task Performance and Satisfaction: An Examination of Media-richness Theory, Information & Management, 35(5), 10.1016/S0378-7206(98)00097-4.
- Teichner, W. R., 1979, Colour and visual information coding. In Proceedings of the Society for Information Display, 20(1), pp. 3-9.
- Tinker, A. M., 1963, Legibility of Print, Ames, IA: Iowa State University Press.
- Tinker, A. M., 1955, Speed of Reading Test, University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis.
- Tinker, A. M. and Paterson, G. D., 1940, How to make type readable: A manual for typographers, printers, and advertisers, based on twelve years of research involving speed of reading tests given to 33,031 persons, Harper & Brothers, New York.
- Tinker, A. M. and Paterson, G. D., 1929, Studies of typographical factors influencing speed of reading: VI. Black type versus white type, The Journal of Applied Psychology, 13(2), pp. 241-247.
- Tinker, A. M. and Paterson, G. D., 1929, Studies of typographical factors influencing speed of reading, VII. Variations in colour of print and background, The Journal of Applied Psychology, 13(2), pp. 471-479.
- Travis, D. S., Bowles, S., Seton, J. and Peppe, R., 1990, Reading from colour displays: A psychophysical model, Human Factors, 32(2), pp. 147-156.[Crossref]
- Tullis, T. S., 1981, An evaluation of alphanumeric, graphic and colour information displays. Human Factors, 23(5), pp. 541-550.
- Wang, A. H. and Chen, C. H., 2003, Effects of screen type, Chinese typography, text/background colour combination, speed, and jump length for VDT leading display on users' reading performance, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 31(4), pp. 249-261, DOI: 10.1016/S0169-8141(02)00188-9.[Crossref]
- Wu, J. H. and Yuan, Y. F., 2003, Improving searching and reading performance: The effect of highlighting and text colour coding, Information & Management, 40(7), pp. 617-637, DOI: 10.1016/S0378-7206(02)00091-5.[Crossref]
- Wu, J. H. and Yuan, Y. F., 2003, Monitor Opimizer Software Guide, X-Rite Colourimeter, Available online at:
Publication order reference