A Case Study in the Globalization of Disability Rights: The Compatibility of Lithuania's Process for Determining the Legal Incapacity of Disabled Persons with International Legal Standards
Languages of publication
Disability rights law has expanded over the past twenty years from near non-existence to developing into an international legal norm, particularly through the recent United Nations convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. In this work, the authors examine the case of Lithuania and its process for determining when disabled persons lack legal capacity, as measured against the international legal standards applicable to this issue. The authors conclude by offering suggestions about how Lithuania may make determinations as to legal capacity in a way that is consistent with the emerging global legal standards on disability rights law.
- Buschbacher Connelly, Ulrike. "Disability Rights in Cambodia: Using the Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities to Expose Human Rights Violations." 18 Pac. Rim L. & Pol'y J. 123 (January, 2009).
- Dhanda, Amita. "Legal Capacity in the Disability Rights Convention: Stranglehold of the Past or Lodestar of the Future." 34 Syracuse J. Int'l L. & Com. 429 (Spring, 2007).
- Dhir, Aaron. "Human Rights Treat Drafting Through the Lens of Mental Disability: The Proposed International Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities." 41 Stan. J. Int'l L. 181 (Summer, 2005).
- Kanter, Arlene. "The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and its Implications for the Rights of Elderly People Under International Law." 25 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 527 (Spring, 2009).
- Lawson, Anna. "The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: New Era or False Dawn?" 34 Syracuse J. Int'l. L. & Com. 563 (Spring, 2007).
- "Lithuania to Preside over EU" //
- "Lithuanian Chair of Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe Sets Out 2011 Priorities as he Briefs Security Council" //
- Lord, Janet, and Michael Ashely Stein. "The Domestic Incorporation of Human Rights Law and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities." 83 Wash. L. Rev. 449 (November, 2008).
- Perlin, Michael. "‘I Might Need a Good Lawyer, Could be Your Funeral, My Trial’: Global Clinical Education and the Right to Counsel in Civil Commitment Cases." 28 Wash. U. J.L. & Pol'y 241 (2008).
- Salzman, Leslie. "Rethinking Guardianship (Again): Substituted Decision Making as a Violation of the Integration Mandate of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act." 81 U. Colo. L. Rev. 157 (Winter, 2010).
- VŠĮ "Globali iniciatyva psichiatrijoje". "Neveiksnumo problematika Europos Sąjungos deklaruojamų vertybių kontekste" (The problems of incapacity in the context of European Union declared values) //
- World Health Organization. "Health topics" //
- Žmogaus teisių stebėjimo institutas. "Žmogaus teisių įgyvendinimas Lietuvoje. Apžvalga" (The implementation of human rights in Lithuania. Review) //
- A.Č. v. V.Č., M.Č., P.Č., Dainai medical station. Šiauliai regional court, 2009, 2A-229-45/2009.
- A.G. v. Marijampolė city municipality's administration, Department of social affairs, Social support subdivision. Kaunas regional court, 2009, 2A-102-153/2009.
- B.L., F.L., R.L. v. Tauragė district municipality's administration, Social support subdivision. Klaipėda regional court, 2008, 2A-302-524/2008.
- Burghartz v. Switzerland. 31 E.H.R.R. 32 (2001).
- Civil Code of the Republic of Lithuania. Official Gazette, 2000, no. VIII-1864.
- Civil Procedure Code of the Republic of Lithuania. Official Gazette, 2002, no. IX-743.
- Convention and Optional Protocol Signatures and Ratifications [For the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, provided by the United Nations "Enable" website] //
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. G.A. Res. 61/611, U.N. Doc. A/RES/61/611 (Dec.6, 2006).
- E.Š. v. R.Š., F.Š., H.Š., Širvintos district municipality's administration, Health and Social support subdivision. Vilnius regional court, 2009, 2A-956-302/2009.
- European Convention on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms. E.T.S. No. 005 [opened for signature Nov. 4, 1950; entered into force Sept. 3, 1953].
- Friedl v. Austria. 21 E.H.R.R. 83 (1996).
- G.A. v. A.S., J.S., R.S., A.S., Utena district municipality's administration, Social support subdivision. Panevėžys regional court, 2010, 2A-8-280/2010.
- G.L. v. Vilnius city municipality's administration, Social support subdivision. The Supreme Court of Lithuania, 2007, 3K-3-328/2007.
- Golder v. The United Kingdom. 1 E.H.R.R. 524 (1979-80).
- Herczegfalvy v Austria. 15 E.H.R.R. 437 (1993).
- Law on Mental Health Care of the Republic of Lithuania. Official Gazette, 1995, no. I-924 [as amended on July 5, 2005, no. X-309].
- Law on Ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and its Optional Protocol. Official Gazette, 2010, no. XI-854.
- Matter v. Slovak Republic. 31 E.H.R.R. 32 (2001).
- On the compliance of article 3 (wording of 26 June 2001), article 4 (wordings of 26 June 2001 and 3 April 2003), paragraph 3 of article 6 (wording 26 June 2001) and paragraph 1 of article (wording of 26 June 2001) of the Republic of Lithuania law on the restraint of organized crime with the Constitution of the Republic of Lithuania. Ruling of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Lithuania (December 29, 2004). Official Gazette, 2005, no. 1-7.
- Recommendation No. R(99) 4 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on Principles Concerning the Legal Protection of Incapable Adults. Council of Eur. Comm. of Ministers, Principle 6 (1999) //
- Shtukaturov v. Russia. 2008 WL 4264284 (European Court of Human Rights, Application no. 44009/05).
- Summing-Up Note Regarding Decisions Presented by Prosecutors Defending Rights of Social Protected Persons. Prosecution Service of the Republic of Lithuania, 2008, no.13.13-6.
- T.L. v. Kėdainiai district municipality's administration, Department of culture and education, Social support subdivision. Panevėžys regional court, 2009, 2A-393-544/2009.
- V.Č., F.Č., I.M.D. v. Kaunas city municipality's administration, Department of social affairs, Health subdivision. The Supreme Court of Lithuania, 2008, no.3K-3-370/2008.
- X. v. Croatia. 51 E.H.R.R. 20 (2010).
- Zehentner v. Austria. 52 E.H.R.R. 22 (2011).
Publication order reference