Designing Environment for Research and Learning in Secondary School
Languages of publication
Contemporary pedagogy searches for the ways to reorient teachers' and students' activity towards the aim of sustainable development. The teacher becomes involved both in teaching/learning activities and in researching the environment of his own activities in order to design the environment favourable for students' development. The article presents the analysis of research and learning environment and activities that promote the development of students' research skills in one of Latvia's secondary schools. It displays the research methods and means identified in students' research works, and evaluates the research environment in the school. Several types of environment were identified, which teachers can purposefully use to develop the research skills of their students. The results of analysis can be implemented by educational institutions, which organise students' research activities. The described methods and means can be used in learning environment with no supplementary material resources required and involving teachers in research of school environment therefore re-orientating their professional frames of reference to address sustainable development.
- Ballard, D. (2005) Using learning processes to promote change for sustainable development. Action Research, 3(2), 135-156.
- Bednall, J. (2006) Epoche and bracketing within the phenomenological paradigm. Issues In Educational Research, 16, 123-138.
- Bott, J. (2004) Cultural Sustainability and the National Agenda. Report from the Fourth Pillar Conference, Melbourne, November, Cultural Development Network, 30-34.
- Creswell, J. (1994) Research Design: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Creswell, J. (1998) Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Traditions. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Dewey, J. (1997) Democracy and Education. Free Press, New York, NY.
- Ferreira, J., Rayan, L. & Tilbury, D. (2007) Mainstreaming education for sustainable development in initial teacher education in Australia: A review of existing professional development models. Journal of Education for Teaching, 33(2), 225-240.
- Grishane, O. (2007a) Organizing the environment for developing research skills of high school students. Proceedings of 4th World Environmental Education Congress "Learning in a Changing World", Durban, South Africa, July 2-6, 51. EEASA and ShareNet.
- Grishane, O. (2007b) Organization of environment for the development of research skills in secondary school, in Pipere, A. (ed.) Education and Sustainable Development: First Steps Toward Changes, volume 2. Daugavpils University: Saule, 222-240.
- Grishane, O. (2007c) The application of local and global contexts in students' scientific research works. Proceedings of International Conference "Citizenship-Multiculturalism-Cosmopolitanism", University of Cyprus, CD. November 3-4, 2007.
- Gibboney, R. & Webb, C. (1998) What Every Great Teacher Knows: Practical Principles for Effective Teaching. Holistic Education Press, Brandon.
- Hansen, D. (2002) Dewey's conception of an environment for teaching and learning. Curriculum Inquiry, 32(3), 267-280.
- Hawkes, J. (2001) The Fourth Pillar of Sustainability: Culture's Essential Role in Public Planning. Melbourne: Common Ground Publishing.
- Hildebrand, D. (2008) Dewey: A Beginner' Guide. ONEWORLD, Oxford.
- Hostetler, K., Macintyre Latta, M. & Sarroub, L. (2007) Retrieving meaning in teacher education: The question of Being, Journal of Teacher Education, 58(3), 231-244.[Crossref]
- Hytonen, J. (ed.) (2007) Education for Democracy as a Part of Education for Sustainable Development. 4th International JTET Conference: Post-Conference Book, Research Report 287, Helsinki University, Helsinki.
- Ladkin, R. (2005) Action Learning in Leadership Development, Leadership South West.
- Lakatos, G. (ed.) (2007) Theories and practices for Education of Sustainable Development. 5th International JTET Conference Proceedings Acta Pericemonologica rerum ambientum. University of Debrecen, Debrecen.
- Levin, B. B. & He, Y. (2008) Investigating the content and sources of teacher candidates' Personal Practical Theories (PPTs). Journal of Teacher Education, 59(1), 55-68.[WoS][Crossref]
- Pipere, A. (ed.) (2006) Education and Sustainable Development: First Steps toward Changes, volume 1, Daugavpils: Saule.
- Pipere, A. (ed.) (2007) Education and Sustainable Development: First Steps toward Changes, volume 2, Daugavpils: Saule.
- Pipere, A. (2007a) A qualitative meta-analysis of sustainability oriented researcher's identity, in Scientific articles of the 5th International Conference "Person. Color. Nature. Music", October 17-21, 2007, Daugavpils University, 53-62.
- Pipere, A. (2007b) Becoming a researcher: Interplay of identity and sustainability, in Pipere, A. (ed.) Education and Sustainable Development: First Steps toward Changes, volume 2, Daugavpils: Saule, 241-263.
- Pipere, A. (2007c) The sustainability-oriented researcher's identity: Action research in doctoral studies, in Filho, W. L, Manolas, E. I., Sotirakos, M. N. & Boutakis, G. A. (eds.) Higher Education and the Challenge of Sustainability: Problems, Promises and Good Practice, University of Crete: Media, 230-240.
- Pipere, A. (2008) Mapping the researcher's identity in the university context: Dimensions of personal constructs. Baltic Journal of Psychology, vol. 9, 2008 (in press).
- Pipere, A. & Salite, I. (2006) Educational action research in teacher education: Fostering research skills. Full papers of Asia-Pacific Educational Research Association International Conference 2006 "Educational Research, Policy and Practice in an Era of Globalization: The Asia-Pacific Perspectives and Beyond", CD format.
- Regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Nr. 1027 (2006) Regulations on the National Standarts in Primary Education and Standards in Primary Education School Subjects. Latvijas Vēstnesis [Messenger of Latvia], 204 2006.12.22.
- Regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Nr. 544 (2007) Regulations on the National Standarts in Secondary Education and Standards in Secondary Education School Subjects. Latvijas Vēstnesis [Messenger of Latvia], 28.08.2007, Nr.138 (3714).
- Salīte, I. (2006) Aim of education in the context of present and future educational issues: Perspective of teachers, in Pipere, A. (ed.) Education and Sustainable Development: First Steps Toward Changes, volume 1, Daugavpils: Saule, 390-407.
- Salīte, I. & Pipere, A. (2006) Aspects of sustainable development from the perspective of teachers. Journal of Teacher Education and Training, 6, 15-32.
- Salite, I., Ignatjeva, S. & Salitis, A. (2007) Broadening teachers' views on sustainability through educational action research. Proceedings of International Conference "Citizenship - Multiculturalism - Cosmopolitanism", University of Nikosia. CD format. November 3-4, 2007.
- Torbert, W. (2001) The practice of action inquiry, in Reason, P. & Bradbury, H. (eds.) Handbook of Action Research: Participative Inquiry and Practice. London: SAGE.
- Wilber, K. (2000) Integral Psychology. Boston, MA: Shambhala.
Publication order reference