Professional Competences of Future Teachers: Perspective of Different Evaluators and Contexts
Languages of publication
The article presents research on professional competence for future teachers. The study provides the answers to the questions 1) what are the differences between the future teachers' desirable and real professional competences evaluated by students themselves, their University teachers, and their potential employers? 2) what are the differences in the evaluation of future teachers' professional competences provided by the students and University teachers from the study programs enriched with the principles of ESD and those who come from other programs? The future teachers (n=24) and teachers from the Daugavpils University (n=24) as well as the school principals of Latgale region of Latvia (n=25) filled out the questionnaire by Grecov and Popova (2005). It was concluded that both students and teachers see the necessity for the further development of competences while encounter with ESD principles mostly elicits the need for the higher standards of professional competences and more critical stance toward the achieved level.
- Common European Principles for Teacher Competences and Qualifications (2005) Retrieved on October 11, 2008 from
- Deisone, S. & Dammans, B. B. (2006) Resocializācijas programmas īstenošanas Tulas cietumā Norvēgijā ziņojums pētījumam: "Kad atveras cietuma vārti: Valmieras cietuma bijušo ieslodzīto integrācija sabiedrībā un darba tirgū" [Report on implementation of re-socialization program for the research "When opens the gates of jail: Integration of ex-convicts from the jail of Valmiera in society and labour market"]. Valmiera: Vidzemes augstskola.
- Elkin, G. (1990) Competency-based human resource development. Industrial and Commercial Training, 22(4), 20-25.
- Grossman, P. L. & Richert, A. E. (1988) Unacknowledged knowledge growth: A re-examination of the effects of teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 4(1), 53-62.
- Guichard, J. & Lenz, J. (2005) Career theory from an international perspective. The Careers Development Quarterly, 54, 17-28.
- Hamel, G. & Prahalad, C. K. (1994) Competing for the Future. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Hartle, F. (1995) How to Re-engineer your Performance Management Process. London: Kogan Page.
- Henno, I. (2004) Implementation of the ESD in Estonia. Herleen workshop, October 20-23, 2004. Retrieved February 23, 2007 from
- Le Deist, F. D. & Winterton, J. (2005) What is Competences. Human Resource Development International, 8(1), 27-46.
- Mandolini, C. (2007) Sustainable education as way for an integral development of the human being, in Pipere, A. (ed.) Education and Sustainable Development: First Steps toward Changes, volume 2, Daugavpils: Saule, 5-19.
- Raudsepp, M. (2006) Sustainable development as an ambiguous regulative idea: A qualitative study in Estonia, in Pipere, A. (ed.) Education and Sustainable Development: First Steps toward Changes, volume 1, Daugavpils: Saule, 31-42.
- Salīte, I. (2006) Aim of education in the context of present and future educational issues: Perspective of teachers, in Pipere, A. (ed.) Education and Sustainable Development: First Steps toward Changes, volume 1, Daugavpils: Saule, 390-407.
- Salīte, I. & Pipere, A. (2006) Aspect of sustainable development from the perspective of research. Journal of Teacher Education and Training, 6, 15-32.
- Shulman, L. S. (2004) Teaching as Community Property: Essays on Higher Education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, Inc.
- Stasz, C. (1997) Do employers need the skills they want? Evidence from technical work. Journal of Education and Work, 10(3), 205-233.
- Греков, А. & Попова, Е. (2005) Выбери профессию сам. Практикум [Choose your profession yourself. Practical guide]. Санкт-Петербург. Научно-исследовательс-кий институт физической культуры.
- Князев, А. М. (2002) Изучение личности в условиях организации [Research on personality within the organization]. Москва. ИПК работников телевидения и радиовеща-ния.
- Курбатова, Л. (2007) Образование как социальное качество общества [Education as a social quality of society]. Социология [Sociology], 1, 50-59.
Publication order reference