Non-Formal Energy Education in the Context of Sustainability: Perspective of Latvian Educators
Languages of publication
Energy as one of the main concepts of sustainable development currently challenges the society in general and education in particular. The paper reflects on study that is a part of EU COMENIUS project. It explores the situation in Latvia with energy topic in non-formal education in the context of education for sustainable development. The teachers and out-of-school experts' views on non-formal energy education are identified using the constructed tools in relation to: 1) teaching materials; 2) readiness to teach energy education, and 3) out-of-school places for this topic. Structured interview and survey were conducted with 20 experts of out-of-school places and 50 teachers. Both qualitative and quantitative data analysis methods were applied. Different conceptual approaches, the best practice examples, challenges and needs, and the main chances for improvement and development in the field were inferred from the data. The recommendations could be useful both locally and globally for education policymakers, teacher training institutions, administrators for improving connections between formal and non-formal education, pre-service, and in-service teacher training.
- Brunsell, N. A., Jones, A. R., Jackson, T. L., & Feddema, J. J. (2008). Seasonal trends in air temperature and precipitation in IPCC AR4 GCM output for Kansas, USA: Evaluation and implications. In review: International Journal of Climatology, USA.[WoS]
- Cabinet of Ministers (CM). (2006). Regulations on the National Standards in Primary Education and Standards in Primary Education School Subjects. Latvijas Vēstnesis [Messenger of Latvia], 204 2006.12.22.
- Cabinet of Ministers (CM). (2008). Regulations on the National Standards in Secondary Education and Standards in Secondary Education School Subjects. Latvijas Vēstnesis [Messenger of Latvia], 18.09.2008 No.145 (6147).
- Centre for Research, Education and Training in Energy (CREATE). (2008). Retrieved January 14, 2009, from
- Heinrich Boell Foundation. (2002). World Summit on Sustainable Development. Retrieved March 31, 2009, from
- Kravale, M. (2006). Youth non-formal education in Latvia. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Daugavpils University, Daugavpils, Latvia.
- National Energy Education Development Project (NEED). (2007). Retrieved January 10, 2009, from
- National Institute of Out-of-school Time (NIOST). (2007). Retrieved January 15, 2009, from
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) (2008). Learning about renewable energy. Retrieved February 1, 2009, from
- Renewable energy and efficiency education on wheels (RnE2EW). (n.d.). Retrieved January 24, 2009, from
- UNESCO. (2004). Education for Sustainable Development. United Nations Decade (2005-2014). Retrieved January 13, 2009, from
- United Nations (UN). (1992a). Rio Declaration on environment and development. UN publications. Retrieved March 28, 2009, from
- United Nations (UN). (1992b). Press Summary of Agenda 21 - Final Text. UN Conference on Environment and Development, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 3-14.
Publication order reference