Integration of Competencies in an Ontology-Based Framework Supporting Teachers to Construct Learning Designs in the Domain of Sustainable Energy Education
Languages of publication
In previous work, a framework based on three ontologies (content, learning design and sustainable energy domain models) was introduced in order to support teachers to construct learning designs in the field of sustainable energy education. This paper is focusing on the integration of a competency model in the structure of this framework. This model actually interconnects the other three models by establishing connections between learning objects, learners, activities, learning objectives/competencies and knowledge in the sustainable energy domain. It enriches the description of learning resources enabling their search and retrieval via queries based on competency parameters and can also support competency-based reasoning in order for the competency gaps to be filled. The competency model came as an answer to a literature review triggered by some results of a Wizard of Oz experiment along with the aim to integrate into the framework sets of questions supporting learning in sustainable energy domain.
- Anderson, L. W., & Krathwohl, D. R. (Eds.). (2001). A taxonomy for learning, teaching and assessing: A revision of Bloom's taxonomy of educational outcomes: Complete edition. New York: Longman.
- Askar, P., & Altun, A. (2009). CogSkillnet: An ontology-based representation of cognitive skills. Educational Technology & Society, 12(2), 240-253. Retrieved February 15, 2010, from http://www.ifets.info/journals/12_2/17.pdf
- Bloom, B. S., & Krathwohl. D. R. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives: The classification of educational goals by a committee of college and university examiners. New York: Longman.
- Conole, G. 2008). Capturing practice, the role of mediating artefacts in learning design. In L. Lockyer, S. Bennet, S. Agostinho & B. Harper (Eds.), Handbook of research on learning design and learning objects: Issues, applications and technologies (pp. 187-207). Hersey, PA: IGI Global.
- Dave, R. H. (1970). Psychomotor levels. In R. J. Armstrong (Ed.), Developing and writing educational objectives (pp. 33-34). Tucson, AZ: Educational Innovators Press.
- Draganidis, F., & Mentzas, G. (2007). Ontology-based competency management for corporate e-learning. In M. A. Sicilia (Ed.), Competencies in organizational e-learning: Concepts and tools (pp. 319-332). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-59904-343-2.ch015.[Crossref]
- European Environment Agency [EEA]. (2002). Energy and environment in the European Union. Environmental issue report No. 31. Copenhagen, Denmark: European Environment Agency.
- Gruninger, M., & Fox, M. S. (1995). Methodology for the design and evaluation of ontologies. In D. Skuce (Ed.), Proceedings of the IJCAI'95 Workshop on Basic Ontological Issues in Knowledge Sharing (pp. 6.1-6.10). Montreal, Canada: AAAI Press.
- Grandbastien, M. (2009). A competency-based learning resource retrieval process: The LUISA-UHP case-study. Computer Science, 302, 310-318. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-03115-1_33.[Crossref]
- HR-XML Consortium. (2001). Competencies 1.0 (Measurable characteristics). Recommendation 2001-Oct-16. Retrieved February 14, 2010, from
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Learning Technology Standards Committee. (2002). IEEE standard for learning object metadata. Retrieved August 12, 2008, from
- IMS Global Learning Consortium [IMS GLC]. (2003). IMS learning design specification version 1.0. Retrieved January 10, 2010, from
- IMS GLC. (2002). IMS reusable definition of competency or educational objective - information model, version 1.0 final specification. Retrieved January 10, 2010, from
- Karetsos, S., Haralambopoulos, D., & Kotis, K. (2011). An ontology-based framework for authoring tools in the domain of sustainable energy education. International Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Information Systems (IJAEIS), Special Issue on Intelligent Systems for Engineering Environmental Knowledge, 2(1), 40-62. DOI: 10.4018/jaeis.2011010103.[Crossref]
- Karetsos, S., & Haralambopoulos, D. (2010). A tool to support authoring of learning designs in the field of sustainable energy education. In B. White, P. Isaías & D. Andone (Eds.), Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference, WWW/Internet 2010 (pp. 345-349). Timisoara, Romania: IADIS Press.
- Kelley, J. F. (1984). An iterative design methodology for user-friendly natural language information applications. ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems, 2(1), 26-41. DOI: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/357417.357420. [Crossref]
- Krathwohl, D. R., Bloom, B. S., & Masia, B. B. (1964). Taxonomy of educational objectives: The classification of educational goals. Handbook II: The affective domain. New York: David McKay.
- Krötzsch, M., Vrandecic, D., & Völkel, M. (2006). Semantic MediaWiki. In I. F. Cruz, S. Decker, D. Allemang, C. Preist, D. Schwabe, P. Mika, M. Uschold & L. Aroyo (Eds.), Proceedings of the 5th International Semantic Web Conference, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Vol. 4273, pp. 935-942). Heidelberg: Springer. DOI: 10.1007/11926078_68.[Crossref]
- McKeown, R. (2002). Education for sustainable development toolkit. Knoxville, TN: University of Tennessee, Energy, Environment and Resources Center.
- Paquette, G. (2007). An ontology and a software framework for competency modeling and management. Educational Technology & Society, 10(3), 1-21. Retrieved January 10, 2010, from http://www.ifets.info/journals/10_3/1.pdf
- Schmidt, A. (2004). Context-steered learning: The learning in process approach. In C. K. Kinshuk, E. Looi, D. G. Sutinen, I. Sampson, L. Aedo, L. Uden & E. Kähkönen (Eds.), Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (pp. 684-686). Joensuu, Finland: IEEE Computer Society.
- Sicilia, M. A. (2005). Ontology based competency management: Infrastructures for knowledge intensive learning organization. In M. D. Lytras & A. Naeve (Eds.), Intelligent learning infrastructure for knowledge intensive organizations: A semantic web perspective (pp. 302-324). Hershey, PA: Idea Group pub.
- Sitthisak, O. (2009). A competency model for semi-automatic question generation in adaptive assessment. Unpublished doctoral thesis, University of Southampton, School of Electronic and Computer Science, UK.
Publication order reference