The Praxis of Mentoring: Power, Organising and Emancipation
Languages of publication
The purpose of this article is twofold: first, to juxtapose the praxis of mentoring with its domination and, second, to examine the praxis of mentoring. The rationale of the inquiry is based on social reconstructivist principles, recognising that relational structures and human experiences are both productive and reproductive in nature and in effect. The inquiry has pedagogical implications for institutional practices in education and political implications for individual voluntary versus institutional organising. It is potentially counter-hegemonic against the discourse of globalisation inevitability. Overall, the paper investigates the development and socialisation of human agency in institutional and social associations in which the praxis of mentoring intervenes.
- Alinsky, S. (1971). Rule for radicals: A pragmatic primer for realistic radicals. New York, NY: Vintage Books.
- Andrews, I. (1987). Induction program: Staff development opportunities for beginning and experienced teachers. In M. F. Wideen & I. Andrews (Eds.), Staff development for school improvement: A focus on the teacher (pp. 142-153). New York and Philadelphia: The Falmer Press.
- Barkham, J. (2005). Reflections and interpretations on life in academia: A mentee speaks. Mentoring and Tutoring, 13(3), 331-344.
- Barrett, T. (2000). Studio critiques of student art: As they are, as they could be with mentoring, Theory into Practice, 39(1), 29-35.
- Beto, F. (2006). Fidel and religion: Conversations with Frei Betto on Marxism and liberation theology. NY: Ocean Press.
- Beyene, T. M., Anglin, W., Sanchez, Z., & Ballou, M. (2002). Mentoring and relational mutuality: Proteges' perspectives. The Journal of Humanistic Education and Development, 41(1), 87-102.
- Brown, M. C., Davis, G. L., & McClendon, S. A. (1999). Mentoring graduate students of color: Myths, models, and modes. Peabody Journal of Education, 74(2), 105-118.[Crossref]
- Caldwell, B. J., & Cater, E. M. A. (Eds.). (1993). The return of mentor: Strategies for workplace learning. London and Washington, DC: The Falmer Press.
- Castro, F. (2006). Che: A memoir by Fidel Castro. NY: Ocean Press.
- Castro, F. (2010, January 27). Fidel Castro in his own words [Video file]. Retrieved June 20, 2012, from
- Clandinin, D. J., & Connelly, F. M. (1998). Stories to live by: Narrative understandings of school reform. Curriculum Inquiry, 28(2), 149-164.[Crossref]
- Cobb, M., Fox, D. L., Many, J. E., Matthews, R. W., McGrail, E., Tinker Sachs, G., & Colley, H. (2002). A ‘rough guide’ to the history of mentoring from a Marxist feminist perspective. Journal of Education for Teaching: International. Research and Pedagogy, 28(3), 257-273.
- Colley, H. (2003). Engagement mentoring for ‘disaffected’ youth: A new model of mentoring for social inclusion. British Educational Research Journal, 29(4), 521-542.[Crossref]
- Eagleton, T. (2007). The meaning of life: A very short introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Freire, P. (1970). Pedagogy of the oppressed. New York: Continuum.
- Freire, P. (1971). To the coordinator of a cultural circle. Convergence, 4(1), 61-62.
- Freire, P. (1998). Teachers as cultural workers. Colorado: Westview Press.
- Giroux, H. (1985). Teachers as transformative intellectuals. Social Education, 5, 376-379.
- Guevara, E. C. (2003). Che Guevara reader. Melbourne, Australia: Ocean Press.
- Guevara, E. C. (2007). Guerrilla warfare. US: BN Publishing.
- Gramsci, A. (2010). Selections from the prison notebooks. New York: International Publisher.
- Issa, D. (2007). Praxis of empowerment: Mistica and mobilization in Brazil's landless rural workers' movement. Latin American Perspectives, 34(2), 124-138.[WoS][Crossref]
- Jacobi, M. (1991). Mentoring and undergraduate academic success. A Literature Review. Review of Educational Research, 61(4), 505-532.[Crossref]
- Kellner, D. (1997). Globalization and the post-modern turn. Available from
- Kram, K. (1985). Mentoring at work: Developmental relationships in organizational life. Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman.
- Kreber, C. (2010). Courage and compassion in the striving for authenticity: States of complacency, compliance, and contestation. Adult Education Quarterly, 60(2), 177-198.[Crossref][WoS]
- Lea, Y. (2011). On mentoring: When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. The International Journal of Learning, 18(1), 259-268.
- Levin, J. S. (2006). Faculty work: Tensions between educational and economic values. The Journal of Higher Education, 77(1), 62-88.[Crossref]
- Marcos. (2008, August 17). Subcomandante Marcos Interview 3/3 [Videofile]. Retrieved June 20, 2012, from
- Neal, J. C. (1992). Mentoring: A teacher development activity that avoids formal evaluation of the protégé. In T. M. Bey & C. T. Holmes (Eds.), Mentoring: Contemporary principles and issues (pp. 35-49). Reston, VA: Association of Teacher Educators.
- Nieto, S. (2003). What keeps teachers going? NY: Teachers' College Press.
- Paglis, L., Green, S., & Bauer, T. (2006). Does adviser mentoring add value? A longitudinal study of mentoring and doctoral student outcomes. Research in Higher Education, 47(4), 451-476.[Crossref]
- Plato. (2009). The republic. (Benjamin Jovett, Trans.). Available from
- Raabe, B., & Beehr, T. (2003). Formal mentoring versus supervisor and co-worker relationships: Differences in perceptions and impact. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24, 271-293.[Crossref]
- Roberts, A. (2000). Mentoring revisited: A phenomenological reading of the literature. Mentoring & Tutoring, 8(2), 145-170.
- Schein, E. H. (1978). Career dynamics: Matching individual and organizational needs. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Schofer, E., & Meyer, J. (2005). The worldwide expansion of higher education in the twentieth century. American Sociological Review, 70, 898-920.[Crossref]
- Semeniuk, A., & Worrall, A. (2000). Rereading the dominant narrative of mentoring. Curriculum Inquiry, 30(4), 405-428.[Crossref]
- Speizer, J. L. (1981). Role models, mentors, and sponsors. Signs, 6(4), 692-712.[Crossref]
- Stone, O. (Director). (2004). Comandante [Documentary]. Los Angeles, CA: Media Production.
- Tang, S. Y. F., & Choi, P. L. (2005). Connecting theory and practice in mentor preparation: Mentoring for the improvement of teaching and learning. Mentoring and Tutoring, 13(3), 383-401.
- Taylor, D. L., Wallace, F. H., & Wang, Y. (2006). Mentoring in literacy education: A commentary from graduate students, untenured professors, and tenured professors. Mentoring and Tutoring, 14(4), 371-387.
- Torres, C. A. (2002). Globalization, education, and citizenship: Solidarity versus markets? American Educational Research Journal, 39(2), 363-378.[Crossref]
Publication order reference