Entrepreneurial Attitudes in a Post-Communist Transitional Rural Economy: The Case of Moldova
Languages of publication
A sample survey of small and medium-sized farms in Moldova is used to examine the prevalence of different aspects of an "entrepreneurial outlook" in a post-communist transitional economy. Within the range of less than 1 to 100 hectare farms, the most pronounced differences are that operators of larger farms have greater "technical knowledge" of different aspects of high value agricultural production and sales as well as having a greater willingness to deal with "uncertainty and debt."
- Baumol, W. J., Litan, R. E. and Schramm, C.J. 2007 Good Capitalism, Bad Capitalism, and the Economics of Growth and Prosperity. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- DeSoto, H. 2000 The Mystery of Capitalism: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else. New York: Basic Books.
- Gerber, T.P. 2001 The Selection Theory of Persisting Party Advantages in Russia: More Evidence and Implications. Social Science Research. No 30: 653-671.[Crossref]
- Klein, P.G. and Cook, M.L 2006 T. W. Schultz and the Human-Capital Approach Entrepreneurship. Review of Agricultural Economics. Vol. 28 (3): 344-350.[Crossref]
- Knight, F. 1921 Risk, Uncertainty and Profit. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Lerman, Z. and Cimpoies, D. 2006 Land Consolidation as a Factor for Rural Development in Moldova. Europe-Asia Studies. Vol. 58 (3, May): 439-455.
- Ministerul Economiei şi Comerţului. 2007. 2008. Notă informativă: Sărăcia În Republica (Chisinau, Moldova).
- O'Brien, David J., Burress, M., Phillips, J., Grigsby, M. and Patsiorkovsky, V. V. 2009 Moldovan Farm Operators Survey: Final Report. Columbia, MO.: Division of Applied Social Sciences, University of Missouri.
- O'Brien, David J. and Patsiorkovsky, V. V. 2006 Measuring Social and Economic Change in Rural Russia: Lanham, Maryland: Lexington.
- O'Brien, David J., Patsiorkovsky, V. and Wegren, S. K. 2008 Household Capital, Sources of Income and Stratification in Rural Russian Villages. Eastern European Countryside. No 14: 27-42.
- O'Brien, David J., Patsiorkovsky, V. and Wegren, S. K. 2010 Sources of Income, Mental Health and Quality of Life in Rural Russia. Europe-Asia Studies. Vol. 62 (4 Spring): 597-614.[WoS]
- Rona-Tas, A. 1994 The First Shall Be Last? Entrepreneurship and Communist Cadres in the Transition from Socialism. American Journal of Sociology. Vol. 100 (1): 40-69.[Crossref]
- Schumpeter, J. A. 2000 The Concept of Entrepreneurship as Innovation. In Swedberg, R. (Ed.) Entrepreneurship: The Social Science View: New York: Oxford University Press. Originally published in Schumpeter, J. A. 1911 The Theory of Economic Development. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press (reprinted in 1934), pp. 51-75.
- Schumpeter, J. A. 1942 Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy. London: Routledge.
- Schultz, T.W. 1975 The Value of the Ability to Deal with Disequilibria. Journal of Economic Literature. Vol. 13 (3 September): 827-46.
- USAID. 2006 United States Agency for International Development, Land Privatization
- Support Project, Private Property Farmlands: Mode of Current Use and Perspectives. Prepared by AGREX, Chisinau, Moldova.
- World Bank. 2005 The World Bank Working Papers, Report # 4241, Moldova - Agricultural Policy Notes: Agricultural Markets. December.
- World Bank. 2006 The World Bank Working Papers, Report # 42142, Moldova - Agricultural Policy Notes: Public Expenditures for Agricultural Development. June.
Publication order reference