Ex-post Assessment of the Global European Strategy
Languages of publication
The changing situation in the world economy is connected with growing competition on global markets. This new situation creates growing possibilities for some, for others loss of gains. The goal of the European Union is to be more competitive on the world market and to keep the leading position in world trade. The article focuses on an assessment of the EU trade strategy "Global Europe: Competing in the world", that was carried out in the period 2006 - 2010. The analysis is provided in three steps. First of all, changes in the world economy as a factor influencing trade policy are shown. Secondly, the main priority areas of trade strategy are described. Finally, the progress achieved in the Global Europe strategy is analysed. Conclusions are based on method of deduction and calculation of changes in the EU's market share, trade integration and trade balance in 2006 - 2010. The results of trade analysis showed that preferential trade agreement is not a sufficient instrument for increasing trade and that more trade opportunities do not always have to mean lower unemployment.
- AGGARWAL, V. K., FOGARTY, E. A. (2004). EU Trade Strategies. Between Regionalism and Globalism. Palgrave Macmillan: New York, p. 249.
- ARCAS, R. L. (2008). The European Union and the BRIC Countries in Strategic Trade Policy Areas. In: Theory and Practice of EC External Trade Law and Policy. Retrieved January 18, 2012 from http://www.asil.org/files/ielconferencepapers/leal-arcas.pdf
- CEP II. CHELEM (2009). World Economic Overview. Retrieved January 20, 2012 from
- CEP II-CIREM (2011). Economic Analysis in Support of Bilateral and Multilateral Trade Negotiations. Retrieved Janury 23, 2012 from
- CURRAN, L., ZIGNANO, S. (2009). The Evolution of EU and Its Member States' Competitiveness in International Trade. CEP II-CIREM, ATLASS consortium. Retrieved January 19, 2012 from http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2009/march/tradoc_142475.pdf
- BUNGENBERG, M. (2010). Going Global? The EU Common Commercial Policy after Lisbon. In: European Yearbook of International Economic Law. Volume 1, Part 1, pp. 123-151.
- ELSIG, M. (2002). The EU's Common Commercial Policy. Asghate Publishing Limited: Hampshire, p. 196.
- EUR - Lex (2010). Consolidated Version of the Treaty on European Union. Retrieved January 20, 2012 from
- EUROPA. EU (2012). Common commercial policy. Retrieved January 21, 2012 from
- EUROPEAN COMMISSION (2006a). Trade. The Global Europe strategy. Retrieved June 16, 2011 from
- EUROPEAN COMMISSION (2006b). Trade. Commisission staff working document. The Global Europe: Competing In the World. A Contribution to the EU's Growth and Jobs Strategy. Retrieved June 24, 2011 from
- EUROPEAN COMMISSION (2006c). Trade. Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament. EU - China: Closer partners, growing responsibilities. Retrieved January 24, 2012 from
- EUROPEAN COMMISSION (2008). Trade. Global Europe. EU performance in the global economy. Retrieved January 19, 2012 from
- EUROPEAN COMMISSION (2010a). Trade. Report on Progress achieved on the Global Europe Strategy, 2006 - 2010. Commission staff working document accompanying the Commission's Communication on "Trade, Growth and World affairs". Retrieved January 20, 2012 from
- EUROPEAN COMMISSION (2010b). Trade. Commission Staff Working Document. Trade as a Driver of Prosperity. Accompanying document to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. Trade, Growth and World Affairs. Trade Policy as a core component of the EU's 2020 strategy. Retrieved January 27, 2012 from
- EUROPEAN COMMISION. DG TRADE [online]. Retrieved from
- EUROSKOP.CZ (2011). Věcně o EU [on-line]. Retrieved from
- EUROSTAT (2010). External and intra-European Union trade. Data 2004-09. Retrieved July 12, 2011 from
- EUROSTAT (2011). External and intra-EU trade. A statistical yearbook - data 1958 - 2010. Retrieved January 20, 2012 from
- EUROSTAT [online]. Retrieved from
- GOODE, W. (2003). Dictionary of Trade Policy Terms. Fourth edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 69, pp. 356.
- KERR, A., GAISFORD, J. D. (2007). Handbook on International Trade Policy. Edward Elgar Publishing Limited: Cheltenham, p. 543.
- KÖBELE, F. (2007). Global Europe Going Bilateral. The Political Economy of the EU's New Trade Policy Strategy. London School of Economics and Political Science.
- MANDELSON, P. (2008). Globalisation needs a global "New Deal". Retrieved January 20, 2012 from
- MANDELSON. P. (2007). Mandelson makes the case for a renewed EU in the European Union in the Global Age. Retrieved January 19, 2012 from http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2007/march/tradoc_133799.pdf
- MAHNKOPF, B. (2008). EU Multi-Level Trade Policy: Neither Coherent nor Development-Friendly. Retrieved January 18, 2012 from http://www.global-labour-university.org/fileadmin/GLU_Working_Papers/GLU_WP_No.2.pdf
- MESSERLIN, P., WANG, J. (2008). Redesigning the European Union's trade policy strategy towards China. Retrieved January 18, 2012 from http://www.ecipe.org/publications/ecipe-working-papers/redesigning-the-european-union2019s-trade-policy-strategy-towards-china
- ŠTĚRBOVÁ, L. (2010). Impacts of the Lisbon Treaty on the EU Trade Policy. Retrieved January 21, 2012 from http://www.gcasa.com/conferences/budapest/papers/Sterbova.pdf
- WOOLCOCK, S. (2007). European Union policy towards Free Trade Agreements. Retrieved January 24, 2012 from http://www.ecipe.org/publications/ecipe-workingpapers/european-union-policy-towards-free-trade-agreements
- WTO. OECD. UNCTAD (2009). Report on G20 Trade and Investment Measures. Retrieved January 25, 2012 from
- WTO (2010). Trade to expand by 9.5% in 2010 after a dismal 2009. Retrieved January 20, 2011 from
- WTO (2011a). Trade Policy Review: European Union. Retrieved January 23, 2012 from
- WTO (2011b). World Trade 2010, Prospects for 2011. Retrieved June 9, 2011 from
Publication order reference