The Ethical Context of Justifying Anti-Doping Attitudes: Critical Reflections
Languages of publication
The reflections presented in the paper are not normative (in general, it can be said, that they do not create moral values and demands). The presented reflections particularly stress the sense, essence, meaning, and identity of sport in the context of moral demands. A disquisition pointing out that sports and sport-related doping can be situated beyond the moral good and evil must be considered precisely as metaethical, and leads in a consciously controversial way to fully defining the identity of sport in general, as well as the identity of particular sports disciplines.These reflections also refer to the issue concerning the identity of sports philosophy, i.e. general deliberations and specific issues concerning, for example, the factual and cognitive status of normative ethics in sport.It is impossible to overestimate the role and meaning of metaethical reflection in the context of substantiating moral demands in sports as well as in the context of practical results of expectations. This metaethical reflection not only extends self-knowledge, but also contributes to the metaphilosophy of sports. The degree of the development of self-knowledge – both the metaethics of sports and the metaphilosophy of sports – is also a very important declaration, and a sign of general maturity of the philosophy of sports (Kosiewicz 2008/2009, pp. 5-38).
- Ajdukiewicz, K. (1985). Metodologiczne typy nauk /Methodological types of science/. In Język i poznanie /Language and cognition/ (pp. 287-213). Warsaw: PWN.
- Allison, L. (2001). Amateurism in Sport: An Analysis and a Defense. London: Frank Cass.
- Bertalanffy, von L. (1973). General System Theory. New York: George Braziller.
- Butcher, R. and Schneider, A. (2007). Fair Play as Respect for the Game. In W. J. Morgan (Ed.), Ethics in Sport (pp. 119-140). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Digiel, H. (2004). The Principle of Fair Play - Why doping must never be allowed. Academic Supplement of Fair Play! The Official Publication of the European Fair Play Movement, 2, 6-8.
- Donskis, L. (2005). Fair Play and the Legacy of Don Quixote. Academic Supplement of Fair Play! The Official Publication of the European Fair Play Movement, 4, 4-5.
- Eliade, M. (1997). W poszukiwaniu historii i znaczenia religii /The quest: history and meaning in religion/. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo KR.
- Kant, I. (1984a). Krytyka praktycznego rozumu /The critique of practical reason/. Warszawa: PWN.
- Kant, I. (1984b). Uzasadnienie metafizyki moralności /The groundwork of the metaphysics of morals/. Warszawa: PWN.
- Kartezjusz (1981). Rozprawa o metodzie /The discourse on the method/. Warszawa: PWN.
- Kosiewicz, J. (1998) Eliade wobec przedustawnego uniwersum religii /Eliade and the pre-established universum of religion/. Kwartalnik Filozoficzny /Philosophical Quarterly/, 26(2), 277-283.
- Kosiewicz, J. (2005). Is the Principle of Fair Play the Highest Value in Sport? In J. Kosiewicz (Ed.), Sport, Culture and Society (pp. 363-370). Warsaw: AWF.
- Kosiewicz, J. (2008/2009). Philosophy of Sport from the Institutional, Content Related and Methodological Viewpoint. Physical Culture and Sport. Studies and Research, 46, 30-38. DOI: 10.2478/v10141-009-0001-5.[Crossref]
- Kosiewicz, J. (2009). Prolegomena for Consideration on Western Sport and Spiritualism. Physical Culture and Sport. Studies and Research, 47, 79-88. DOI: 10.2478/v10141-009-0034-9.[Crossref]
- Kosiewicz, J. (2010a). Physical Recreation in the Mirror of Philosophy. In J. Kosiewicz, Sport and Philosophy: From Methodology to Ethics (pp. 192-214). Warsaw: Wydawnictwo BK.
- Kosiewicz, J. (2010b). Sport Beyond Moral Good and Evil. Physical Culture and Sport. Studies and Research, 49, 30-38. DOI: 10.2478/v10141-010-0012-2.[Crossref]
- Kosiewicz, J. (2011). Foul Play in Sport as Phenomenon Inconsistent with the Rules, yet Acceptable and Desirable. Physical Culture and Sport. Studies and Research, 52, 33-43. DOI: 10.2478/v10141-011-0012-x.[Crossref]
- Kretchmar, R. S. (2005). Ethics, Value Choices, and the Good Life. In Practical Philosophy of Sport and Physical Activity. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Loland, S. (2002). Fair play: historical anachronism or topical ideal. In M. J. McNamee and S. J. Perry (Eds.), Ethics & Sport. London and New York: Spon Press. Taylor & Francis Group.
- Loland, S. (2002). Fair play in Sport: A Moral Sport System. London & New York: Routledge.
- Morgan, W. J. (2006). Why sports morally matter. New York and London: Routledge.
- Morgan, W. J. (2007). Fair is Fair, Or Is It?: A Moral Consideration of the Doping Wars in American Sport. In A. J. Schneider and Fan Hong (Eds.), Doping in Sport. Global Ethical Issues (pp. 1-22). New York and London: Routledge.
- Ossowska, M. (1966). Podstawy nauki o moralności /Foundations of the science of morality/. Warsaw: PWN.
- Palm, J. (2004). Sport for All! - Fair Play for All? Academic Supplement of Fair Play! The Official Publication of the European Fair Play Movement, 1, 1-2.
- Przyłuska-Fiszer, A., Misiuna, B. (1993). Etyczne aspekty sportu /Ethical aspects of sport/ (pp. 7-91). Warsaw: Wydawnictwo AWF.
- Renson, R. (2005). Fair Play, fair Game, liar Game, fair Pay: Ethics versus Rhetoric in Sport and Society. Academic Supplement of Fair Play! The Official Publication of the European Fair Play Movement, 4.
- Schneider, A. J. and Fan Hong (2007). Introduction. In A. J. Schneider and Fan Hong (Eds.), Doping in Sport. Global Ethical Issues (pp. XII-XXI). New York and London: Routledge.
Publication order reference