The Theology of the Worship Service according to Martin Luther
Languages of publication
Luther's theology of the worship service was, first of all, developed on the basis of the relationship to the conflict between theolatry and idolatry. The basic presupposition of all of Luther's theology is the question: Who is your God? Luther's theology of the worship service rests first of all on the correct understanding of God and His actions and also on the faith as the integral part of humanity which is naturally connected to the true worship of God. The understanding of the mass as good deed flows, according to Luther, from the human attempts to cleanse themselves in front of God and the sacrifice of mass is one of many attempts to influence God by offering the good deeds. This leads to the understanding of the mass as idolatry tainted by legalism.
- LUTHER, Martin. The Babylonian Captivity of the Church (1520). In: Luther's Works, Vol. 36. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1959.
- LUTHER, Martin. Blessed Sacrament of the Holy and True Body of Christ and the Fraternities (1519). In: Luther's Works, Vol. I. Philadelphia: Fortress Press 1976.
- JUNGHANS, Helmar. Luther on the Reform of Worship. In: Harvesting Martin Luther's Reflections on Theology, Ethics and the Church. Ed. by Wengert, Timothy J. Michigan/Cambridge, U. K., 2004.
- SENN, Frank C. Christian Liturgy. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1997.
- The Book of Concord, edited by Robert Kolb and Timothy J. Wengert, The Large Catechism, The First Commandment, Fortress Press, Minneapolis 2000.
- VAJTA, Vilmos. Luther on Worship. Philadelphia: Mulhenberg Press, 1958.
- VALČO, Michal. Slová ustanovenia eucharistie v podaní apoštola Pavla a ich interpretácia u Martina Chemnitza. In: Univerzalizmus Apoštola Pavla. Ed. Anton Tyrol. Svit: Katolícke biblické dielo, 2009, p. 74-85.
- VALČO, Michal. Scripture as a source of Chemnitz' christology. 2007. In: Communications : Scientific Letters of the University of Žilina. - ISSN 1335-4205. - Vol. 9, No. 2 (2007), pp. 5-8.
Publication order reference