A Transformed Beholder. Objective Beauty as the Impetus for Sanctification in the Theology of Hans Urs von Balthasar
Languages of publication
Here in the early 21st century, beauty is not what it once was. The Enlightenment has left beauty a subjective and inconsequential shade, barely resembling its former existence as a transcendental on par with goodness and truth. Can beauty be restored to what it once was? And if it can, should it? This article argues that 20th century theologian Hans Urs von Balthasar not only answers these two questions with a resounding “Yes!” but also gives the church the tools needed to restore beauty to a place of honor in Christian theology. For von Balthasar, beauty and glory are one in the same. Further, beauty/glory and love are irrevocably connected. When we restore beauty to its proper place, we experience God’s love in a proper way, which in turn leads to sanctification.
- Gibson, Michael “The Beauty of the Redemption of the World: The TheologicalAesthetics of Maximus the Confessor and Jonathan Edwards”. TheHarvard Theological Review 101.1 (2008).
- Crokett, Clayton. Theology of the Sublime. London: Routledge, 2001.
- Dubay, Thomas. The Evidential Power of Beauty. Science and Theology Meet. SanFrancisco, CA: Ignatius Press, 1999.
- Hanby, Michael. “Triunity, Creation, and Aesthetic Rationality”. AmericanTheological Inquiry 1.2 (2008): 38-62.
- Hart, David Bentley. The Beauty of Infinite. The Aesthetics of Christian Truth.Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2003.
- Hofer, Andrew. “Proclamation in the Theological Aesthetics of Hans Ursvon Balthasar” Worship 79.1 (2005): 20-38.
- Kettler, Christian D. “The vicarious beauty of Christ: the aesthetics of theatonement”. Theology Today 64.1 (2007): 14-24.[WoS]
- Murphey, Francesca, ed. “Hans Urs von Balthasar: A Gateway to Love”.Theological Aesthetics After von Balthasar. Edited by Oleg Bychkov andJames Fodor. Hampshire: Ashgate, 2008.
- O’Donohue, John. Beauty. The Invisible Embrace. New York, NY: Harper Perennial,2004.
- Sartwell, Crispin. Six Names of Beauty. New York, NY: Routledge, 2006.
- Scarry, Elaine. On Beauty and Being Just. Princeton, NJ: Princeton UniversityPress, 1999.
- Scruton, Roger. Beauty. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.von Balthasar, Hans Urs. Engagement with God. Translated by R. John Halliburton.San Francisco, CA: Ignatius, 1975.
- _____. The Glory of the Lord. A Theological Aesthetics, I. Seeing the Form. Editedby Joseph Fessio and John Riches. Translated by Erasmo Leiva-Merikakis.San Francisco, CA: Ignatius, 1982.
- _____. The Glory of the Lord. A Theological Aesthetics; II. Studies in TheologicalStyle. Clerical Styles. Edited by John Riches. Translated by AndrewLouth, Francis McDonagh and Brian McNeil. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius,1984.
- _____. The Glory of the Lord. A Theological Aesthetics, III. Studies in TheologicalStyle. Lay Styles. Edited by John Riches and Joseph Fessio. Translatedby Andrew Louth, John Saward, Martin Simon and Rowan Williams.San Francisco, CA: Ignatius, 1986.
- _____. The Glory of the Lord. A Theological Aesthetics, IV. The Realm of Metaphysicsin Antiquity. Edited by John Riches. Translated by Oliver Davieset al. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius, 1989.
- _____. The Glory of the Lord. A Theological Aesthetics; V. The Realm of Metaphysicsin the Modern Age. Edited by Brian McNeil and John Riches.Translated by Oliver Davies, Andrew Louth, John Sayward and MartinSimon. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius, 1991.
- _____. The Glory of the Lord. A Theological Aesthetics, VI. Theology. The OldCovenant. Translated by Brian McNeil and Erasmo Leiva-Merikakis.San Francisco, CA: Ignatius, 1991.
- _____. The Glory of the Lord. A Theological Aesthetics; VII. Theology. The NewCovenant. Translated by Brian McNeil. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius,1989.
- _____. Love Alone Is Credible. Translated by D. C. Schindler. San Francisco,CA: Ignatius, 2004.
- _____. Theo-drama. Theological Dramatics, II. Dramatis Personae. Man in God.Translated by Graham Harrison. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius, 1976.
- _____. Theo-drama. Theological Dramatics, III. Dramatis Personae. Persons inChrist. Translated by Graham Harrison. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius,1992.
- _____. Theo-drama. Theological Dramatics, IV. The Action. Translated by GrahamHarrison. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius, 1994.
- Viladesau, Richard. “Theosis and beauty”. Theology Today 65.2 (2008): 180-190.[WoS]
Publication order reference