Patterns of Modernity: Christianity, Occidentalism and Islam
Languages of publication
The shift of interest from community to individuality and freedom brought by modernity challenged the central place once occupied by religion, pushing it to the outskirts of human life. All these led to an increased indifference towards any transcendental guarantor that could act in a neutral reason-governed space. In the case of Islam, such a situation is impossible to tolerate, because it would mean God’s desecration by reducing the Qur’an to the statute of a simple book like many others that offer an opinion on a Supreme Being who does not decide the destiny of humanity any more, but becomes a simple matter of opinion. While Western Christianity adjusted to modernity reaching even to justify the developments which led to a dissolution of sacred, stating that they were consistent with its essence, Islam accepted modernity only to the extent of this one’s capacity to verify the realities stated by the Qur’an.
- Stern, R. Hegel and the Phenomenology of Spirit. London: Routledge Philosophy Guidebooks, Routledge, 2002.
- Weil, E. Philosophie politique. Paris: J. Vrin, 1984.
- Castoriadis, C. The Imaginary Institution of Society. Cambridge (Mass.): MIT Press, 1987.
- Gauchet, M. La religion dans la démocratie. Parcours de la laïcité. Paris: Gallimard, 1998.
- Horatius, Horati Flacci Opera. The Works of Horace. Edited, with Explanatory Notes, Philadelphia: Eldredge & Brother, 1879.
- McLuhan, M. The Gutenberg Galaxy: The Making of Typographic Man. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1962.
- Bonnett, A. “From white to Western: ‘racial decline’ and the idea of the West in Britain, 1890-1930.” Journal of Historical Sociology 16.3 (2003): 320-348.
- Coronil, F. “Beyond occidentalism: toward nonimperial geohistorical categories.” Cultural Anthropology 11.1 (1996): 51-87.
- Kassab, E. S. Contemporary Arab Thought. Cultural Critique in Comparative Perspective. New York: Columbia University Press, 2010.
- Sadiki, L. The Search for Arab Democracy: Discourses and Counter-discourses. London: C. Hurst & Co. Publishers, 2004.
- Lash, S., M. Featherstone, and R. Robertson, eds. Global Modernities. London: Sage, 1995.
- Millán-Puelles, A. El valor de la libertad. Madrid: Rialp, 1995.
Publication order reference