The role of emergent structure in Conceptual Blending Theory – case studies of children in advertisements
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
The aim of this article is to consider the role of emergent structure in conceptual integration networks and the impact it has on the process of meaning construction. What is under analysis is the way in which a well-established emergent structure helps the blend to achieve its goals of providing human scale and achieving its persuasive effects. The analysis is a case study of four advertising campaigns which use conceptual blending to advertise their products via manipulating an image of a child into their advertising posters.
- Brandt, Line and Per Aage Brandt. 2005. Making sense of a blend: A cognitive semiotic approach to metaphor. Annual Review of Cognitive Linguistics 3, 216-249.
- Evans, Vyvyan and Melanie Green. 2006. Cognitive Linguistics: An Introduction. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Fauconnier, Gilles. 2005. Compression and emergent structure. Language and Linguistics 6(4), 523-538.
- Fauconnier, Gilles and Mark Turner. 1995. Conceptual integration and formal expression. Metaphor and Symbolic Activity 10(3), 183-203.
- Fauconnier, Gilles and Mark Turner. 1998. Conceptual integration networks. In: Geeraerts, Dirk (ed.), Cognitive Linguistics: Basic Readings, 303-371. Berlin/New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
- Fauconnier, Gilles and Mark Turner. 2000. Compression and global insight. Cognitive Linguistics 11(3/4), 283-304.
- Fauconnier, Gilles and Mark Turner. 2002. Conceptual Blending and the Mind’s Hidden Complexities. New York: Basic Books.
- Forceville, Charles. 1994. Pictorial metaphor in advertisements. Metaphor and Symbolic Activity 9, 1-29.
- Joy, Annamma, Sherry John F. and Jonathan Deschenesa. 2009. Conceptual blending in advertising. Journal of Business Research 62, 39-49.
- Kövecses, Zoltán. 2006. Language, Mind, and Culture: A Practical Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Turner, Mark. 2006. Compression and representation. Language and Literature 15(1), 17-27. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1672132 (22 March 2013)
- Turner, Mark. 2007. Frame Blending. In: Rossini Favretti, Rema (ed.), Frames, Corpora, and Knowledge Representation, 13-32. Bologna: Bononia University Press. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1321302 (22 March 2013)
Publication order reference