Community-based enterprise export strategy success: Thailand’s OTOP branding program
Languages of publication
Thailand’s One Tambon One Product (OTOP) branded handicraft and food export program in 2016 reached nearly US$3billion, with products coming from approximately 6,000 community-based enterprises (CBE) and small-medium enterprises (SME) countrywide. The OTOP movement is a global program, with communities in China, Malawi, South Africa, Thailand, Laos, and the Philippines. This study examined the influences of perceived quality, competitiveness, trust, and distribution satisfaction on entrepreneurial export performance strategy using the OTOP product brand. Structural equation modeling used LISREL Version 9.1 to conduct a confirmatory factor analysis and test the hypothesized inter-relationships on the variables influencing export performance strategy. Results showed that product quality, trust, distribution capability, and competitiveness are important factors influencing export performance strategy. It was also interesting to note that the majority of the 500 entrepreneurs (94.4%) either owned or worked in groups that had 50 or less employees.
- Aaby, N. E., & Slater, S. F. (1989). Management influences on export performance: A review of the empirical literature 1978-88. International Marketing Review, 6(4), 7-25. doi: 10.1108/EUM0000000001516
- Abu-Jarad, I. Y., Yusof, N. A., & Nikbin, D. (2010). A review paper on organizational culture and organizational performance. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 1(3), 26-46.
- Al-Aali, A., Lim, J-S., Khan, T., & Khurshid, M. (2013). Marketing capability and export performance: The moderating effect of export performance. South African Journal of Business Management, 44(3), 59-70.
- Alsajjan, B. A. (2014). Satisfaction-trust model: Developing customer satisfaction and trust indices for mobile service providers in the UK. International Review of Management and Business Research, 3(2), 1088-1104.
- Anh, N. T. (2013). One village one product (OVOP) in Japan to one tambon one product (OTOP) n Thailand: Lessons for grass root development in developing countries. Journal of Social and Development Sciences, 4(12), 529-537.
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation. (2003). Strengthening an APEC entrepreneurial society. APEC small and medium enterprise ministerial meeting. Chiang Mai, Thailand, August 7-8.
- Ayan, T. Y., & Percin, S. (2005). A structural analysis of the determinants of export performance: Evidence from Turkey. Innovative Marketing, 1(2), 106-120.
- Bartlett, W. J., & Bukvić, V. (2001) Barriers to SME growth in Slovenia. MOCT-MOST: Economic Policy in Transitional Economies, 11, 17-195. http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1012206414785
- Bei, L. T., & Chiao, C. Y. (2001). An integrated model for the effects of the perceived product, perceived service quality, and perceived price fairness on consumer satisfaction and loyalty. Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, 14, 125-140.
- Beleska-Spasova, E. (2014). Determinants and measure of export performance - comprehensive iterature review. Journal of Contemporary and Business Issues, 1(1), 63-74.
- European Consumer Organization. (2015). Durable goods: More sustainable products, better consumer rights.
- Bilkey, W. J. (1978). An attempted integration of the literature on the export behavior of firms. Journal of International Business Studies, 9, 33-46.
- Brenčič, M. M., Ekar, A., & Virant, E. (2008). The influence of relationship marketing components on export performance: a comparison of transitional vs. established markets. Original Scientific Papers, 9-18.
- Brown, G. K. (2003). The impact of market orientation and its strategic antecedents on business performance: replication, corroboration, and extension of recent structural equation results. (Unpublished doctoral thesis). Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand).
- Carneiro, J., Rocha, A. da., & Silva, J. F. da. (2007). A critical analysis of measurement models of export performance. BAR - Brazilian Administration Review, 4(2), 1-19. doi: 10.1590/S1807-76922007000200002
- Cavusgil, S. T., & Zou, S. (1994). Marketing strategy-performance relationship: An investigation of the empirical link in export market ventures. Journal of Marketing, 58(1), 1-21.
- Chang, K-C. (2012). How reputation creates loyalty in the restaurant sector. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 25(4), 536-557. doi: 10.1108/09596111311322916
- Changsorn, P. (2015, March 28). 3 categories seen as rising stars for Otop exports. The Nation.
- Chau, P. Y. K. (1997). Reexamining a model for evaluating information center success using a structural equation modeling approach. Decision Sciences, 28(2), 309-334. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5915.1997.tb01313.x
- Consult-Myanmar. (2017, August 9). How Genius Coffee cracked Myanmar’s premium export market. Retrieved October 1, 2017, from http://tinyurl.com/y6vtr882
- Kositchotethana, B. (2017, February 20). Budget carrier’s passenger traffic continues to soar. Bangkok Post.
- Fauji, F. & Utami, M. M. (2013). How intellectual stimulation effects knowledge sharing, innovation and firm performance. International Journal of Social Science and Humanity, 3(4), 420-425. doi: 10.7763/ijssh.2013.v3.274
- Fujioka, R. (2006). Thai OTOP Project: Lights and Shadow of Grassroots Development Policy. Chapter 6, OVOP and Developing countries. Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization (IDEJETRO).
- Hair, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. & Sarstedt, M. (2016). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Haraguchi, N. (2008). The One-Village-One-Product (OVOP) movement: What it is, how it has been replicated, and recommendations for a UNIDO OVOP-type project. United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO).
- Hill, C. W. L., Jones, G. R., & Schilling, M. A. (2017). Strategic Management: Theory: An Integrated Approach (12th ed.). Singapore: Cengage Learning.
- Hilman, H., Hanaysha, J. R. M., & Ghani, N. H. A. (2017). Analyzing the relationship between advertising and sales promotion with brand equity. Asian International Journal of Social Sciences, 17(2), 88 - 103.
- Hirohata, N. (2013). One village one product movement in Laos. International Journal of Engineering Innovation and Management, 3, 31-35.
- Hooper, D., Coughlan, J., & Mullen, M. (2008). Structural equation modelling: Guidelines for determining model fit. Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 6(1), 53-60.
- Hörstemeier, A. (2017, September 1). How many tambon are there in Thailand?
- Hox, J. J., & Bechger, T. M. (1998). An introduction to structural equation modeling. Family Science Review, 11, 354-373.
- Ismail, M. D. (2011, December). Role of trust in SMEs export performance. Paper presented at the International Conference on Management, Economics and Social Sciences (ICMESS'2011), Bangkok, Thailand.
- Jaccard, J., & Wan, C. K. (1996). LISREL approaches to interaction effects in multiple regression. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Jin, B., Park, J. Y., & Kim, J. (2007). Cross-cultural examination of the relationships among firm reputation, e-satisfaction, e-trust, and e-loyalty. International Marketing Review, 25(3), 324-337. doi: 10.1108/02651330810877243
- Julian, C. C. (2003). Export marketing performance: A study of Thailand firms. Journal of Small Business Management, 41(2), 213-221. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1540-627X.00077
- Keengwe, J., & Onchwari, G. (2011). Computer technology integration and student learning: Barriers and promise, Journal of Science Education and Technology, 17, 560-570. doi: 10.1007/s10956-008-9123-5
- Krejcie, R. V., & Morgan, D. W. (1970). Determining sample size for research activities. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 30, 607-610.
- Krosnick, J. A., & Presser, S. (2009). Question and questionnaire design. In J. D. Wright, P. V. Marsden (Eds), Handbook of Survey Research (2nd Ed.). San Diego, CA: Elsevier.
- Lai, P. T. (2017, July 18). Introducing SMEs to “Industry 4.0”. Vietnamnet.
- Lakhanapipat, C., Smith, I., & Tubsree, C. (2016). Leadership development in the one tambon one product (OTOP) scheme in Thailand. HRD Journal, 7(1), 36-46.
- Laosirihongthong, T., Teh, P-L., & Adebanjo, D. (2013). Revisiting quality management and performance. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 113(7), 990-1006. doi: 10.1108/IMDS-02-2013-0058
- Li, Y., Westlund, H., Zheng, X., & Liu, Y. J. (2016). Bottom-up initiatives and revival in the face of rural decline: Case studies from China and Sweden. Rural Studies, 47, Part B, 506-513.
- Lin, P-H. (2013). Shopping motivations on the internet: An empirical study of trust, satisfaction and loyalty. International Journal of Electronic Business Management, 11(4), 238-246.
- Liu, Y., & Li, Y. (2017). Revitalize the world’s countryside. Nature, 548, 275-277. doi: 10.1038/548275a
- Leonidou, L. C., Katsikeas, C. S., & Samieec, S. (2002). Marketing strategy determinants of export performance: a meta-analysis. Journal of Business Research, 55, 51-67. doi: 10.1016/S0148-2963(00)00133-8
- Leonidou, L. C., (2004). An analysis of the barriers hindering small business export development. Journal of Small Business Management 42(3), 279-302. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-627X.2004.00112.x
- Maital, S. (1995). When you absolutely, positively have to give better service. In C.E. Schneier, D. G. Shaw, R. W. Beatty, & L. S. Baird (Eds.), Performance Measurement, Management, and Appraisal Sourcebook, pp. 247-249, Amherst, MA: Human Resource Development Press.
- Marsh, H. W., Hau, K. -T., & Wen, Z. (2004). In search of golden rules. Structural Equation Modeling, 11(3), 320-341.
- Madsen, T. (1987). Empirical export performance studies: a review of conceptualizations and findings. In S. T. Cavusgil (Ed.). Advances in international marketing (Vol. 2, pp. 177-198). Greenwich, CT: JAI.
- Moha-Asri, A. (2002). The Impact of the Asian financial crisis on small and medium enterprises in Malaysia: Policy Responses. Journal of Comparative Asian Development, 1(2), 227-244. doi: 10.1080/15339114.2002.9678361
- Moliner, M. A. (2008). Loyalty, perceived value and relationship quality in healthcare services. Journal of Service Management, 20(1), 76-97. doi: 10.1108/09564230910936869
- National News Bureau of Thailand. (2016, May 15). Government cooperates with Thai Airways to sell OTOP products.
- Natsuda, K., Wiboonpongse, A., Cheamuangphan, A., Shingkharat, S., & Thoburn, J. (2011). One village one product - rural development strategy in Asia: The case of OTOP in Thailand. RCAPS Working Paper No. 11.
- Office of the Prime Minister. (2016). Government offers assistance to SMEs and OTOP operators [Press Release].
- Phetcharat, C. (2017, August 15). Thai SMEs need to grow beyond Kingdom's borders. Bangkok Post.
- Piriyakul, M., & Wingwon, B. (2011). Societal activity of corporate social responsibility as a moderating factor of brand loyalty in the ceramic industry. Contemporary Marketing Review, 1(3), 12-25.
- Pope, R. A. (2002). Why small firms export: Another look. Journal of Small Business Management, 40(1), 17-26. doi: 10.1111/1540-627X.00035
- Pumim, A., Srinuan, C., & Panjakajornsak, V. (2017). Mobile phone customer loyalty in Thailand: A path analysis case study. Asia-Pacific Social Science Review, 16(3), 65-82.
- Rasch, G. (1980). Probabilistic models for some intelligence and attainment tests. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Rijkers, R. J. D. (2014). The influence of company image, trust and price on satisfaction and intensity of repurchase at the large retail businesses in Makassar, South Sulawesi Indonesia. International Journal of Business and Behavioral Sciences, 4(12), 1-17.
- Sithkong, S., & Pasurawan, T. (2004, July). Enhancing and harnessing the competitiveness of SME entrepreneurs: A market oriented approach, opportunities and challenges. Paper presented at the APEC Conference on Promoting APEC Entrepreneurs: A Financier’s Perspective, Hua Hin, Thailand.
- Sousa, C. M. P. (2004). Export performance measurement: An evaluation of the empirical research in the literature. Academy of Marketing Science Review, 8(9), 1-22.
- Stuart, F. L., Verville, J., & Taskin, N. (2011). Trust in buyer-supplier relationships: Supplier competency, interpersonal relationships and performance outcomes. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 25(4), 392-412. doi: 10.1108/17410391211245856
- Styles, C., & Ambler, T. (1994). Successful Export Practice: The UK Experience. International Marketing Review, 11(6), 23-47. doi: 10.1108/02651339410072999
- Styles, C. (1998). Export performance measures in Australia and in the United Kingdom. Journal of International Marketing, 6(3), 12-36.
- Suindramedhi, (2016). The development of community enterprise: A case study of Moku Moku Farm in Mie Prefecture. Rangsit Journal of Social Science and Humanities, 3(1), 33-48.
- Tavakol, M. and Dennick, R. (2011) Making sense of Cronbach’s alpha. International Journal of Medical Education, 2: 53 - 55. doi: 10.5116/ijme.4dfb.8dfd
- Tock, J. M., & Baharun, R. (2013). Introduction to SMEs in Malaysia: growth potential and branding strategy. World Journal of Social Sciences, 3(6), 189-203.
- Tohidinia, Z., & Haghighi, M. (2011). Predictors and outcomes of relationship quality: A guide for customer-oriented strategies. Business Strategy Series, 12(5), 242-256. doi: 10.1108/17515631111166889
- Tsiotsou, R. (2005). The role of perceived product quality and overall satisfaction on purchase intentions. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 30 (2), 207-217.
- United Sates Agency for International Development (USAID) (2005). Thailand competitiveness initiative: Accelerating economic recovery in Asia.
- Ural, T. (2009). The effects of relationship quality on export performance. European Journal of Marketing, 43(1/2), 139-168. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/03090560910923274
- Uslaner, E. M. (2001, September 15-21). Trust as a moral value. Paper presented at Social Capital: Interdisciplinary Perspectives. University of Exeter United Kingdom.
- Valvi, A. C., & West, D. C. (2013). E-loyalty is not all about trust, price also matters: extending expectation-confirmation theory in bookselling websites. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 14(1), 99-123.
- Voerman, L. (2003). The Export Performance of European SMEs. Alblasserdam, The Netherlands: Labyrint Publication.
- Wang, E. S-T., & Tsai, B-K. (2012). Consumer response to retail performance of organic food retailers. British Food Journal, 116(2), 212-227. doi: 10.1108/BFJ-05-2012-0123
- World Bank. (2010). Innovation policy: A guide for developing countries. Washington, DC: World Bank Group.
- Yamane, T. (1967). Statistics, an introductory analysis (2nd Ed.). New York, NY: Harper and Row.
- Zou, S., Taylor, C. R., & Osland, G. E. (1998). The EXPERF Scale: A crossnational generalized export performance measure. Journal of International Marketing, 6(3).
- Zou, S., & Stan, S. (1998). The determinants of export performance: a review of the empirical literature between 1987 and 1997. International Marketing Review, 15(5), 333-356. doi: 10.1108/02651339810236290
Publication order reference